ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Gain Mod for MP1  (Read 21473 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: SS Gain Mod for MP1
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

So where can I get a list of parts to do the SS revised mod myself?  Are their guids about on how to do this?

I could do the one on here already which would take like 5mins!!

I'd rather do the revised one where I replace the caps with orange drops ect.  I can that stuff easily.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I'd recommend Orange Drop 716P, high-qual Panasonic Caps and Metal-Oxide resistors for the tubeboard. New Belton Micalex tube sockets will also go a long way....
F&T Filter Caps for the PSU.....
When you're at it, replace U4 with a BurrBrown OPA2604, also put a socket in there first....

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Be prepared for more questions.

Is there any harm in doing this gradually?  Like I might do the tubeboard on it's own.

This will sound really silly but hey I'm no electrically qualified boffin - how do I obtain the values? Will it say on everything?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, bit's of it will be a bit fiddly, others not so bad, depends a bit on how you go about it I suspect. Yes lots of good oil on how (MJMP  :bow: ). If you did it bit by bit, my take is that would be fine, there may be however, things that need to happen together (MJMP will know) but I wouldn't have thought many if any..  E.g. you replace a cap with an orange drop, cool so you replaced a cap.... If you see what I mean... It just works better...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

trader144

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Is there any harm in doing this gradually?  Like I might do the tubeboard on it's own.

This will sound really silly but hey I'm no electrically qualified boffin - how do I obtain the values? Will it say on everything?

You can but you will find its a major time killer to do it in stages. Also a pain to source the parts IMO get a package of component parts and instructions from someone who sells mods like MJMP and do it all at once. They have done alot of the work and part testing for you.

Read all the way thru before staring and get all the tools in advance. Answer all of your questions before you begin. Don't skimp or shortcut. Take your time and do a quality job so your unit will last thru a beating and won't go out in stage. Practice desoldering and soldering some other circuit board else if u need to.
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

You can but you will find its a major time killer to do it in stages. Also a pain to source the parts IMO get a package of component parts and instructions from someone who sells mods like MJMP and do it all at once. They have done alot of the work and part testing for you.

Read all the way thru before staring and get all the tools in advance. Answer all of your questions before you begin. Don't skimp or shortcut. Take your time and do a quality job so your unit will last thru a beating and won't go out in stage. Practice desoldering and soldering some other circuit board else if u need to.

The original mod is a five min job.  Since I have ditched that idea and want the "revised" ss mod I'm going to need more parts soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................

You are right Trader144 and Richard.  Kit would be best.  Have already been in touch with MJMP to ask can I just buy parts and make it all myself.  I know nothing about schematics though and other tech stuff but I can modify and do the practical side no probs.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Well the SS mod can be orderd as a standard gain and as an increased gain board.But i usually sell the standard ones because in 90% of the cases these have enough gain unless you have very low output PU's.The SS mod is almost identical to the original except for about 10 caps that have a different value,mostly for tone and noise changes.It makes the tone a bit tighter and brings the noise down compared to the original board but retains the original sound.

Yes I want increased gain version, but only if is usable   8)

trader144

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Yes I want increased gain version, but only if is usable   8)

Just thought I would mention: gain is not distortion so increased gain will always be useable. Increased distortion however may not be useable. 

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

No more distortion?    :'(

shit

:lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, my understanding of the mods is to increase distortion  (partly by increasing gain/vol in parts of the tube circuit). There's the overall gain structure (between various components (in the MP1 (preamp) circuits and other gadgets in the audio chain), which need to match BTW), and also the gain within each bit/component/circuit (so the gain mods are more about the MP1 tube circuit I think). So in MP1/2 you have 2 twin triode tubes, each triode is a gain stage and is driven by what comes before it, increasing what comes before it in some cases (if you turn it up  >:D ) causes clipping of the wave/signal, the nice thing about tubes is when you do that to any of the triodes, it produces predominantly even harmonic distortion (which us Guit players like  >:D ), took many years to develop SS circuits that came near to this sound/characteristic (and I would argue they're not here yet LOL).
So don't despair, the mods (particularly 3TM (i.e. 2 more triodes to drive hard!!)) are to increase gain in the tube stages and thus add more distortion/clipping
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

trader144

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Rabidgerry

I think we should be asking what sound you want out of your MP-1 (what type of bands)?
Didn't see anything specific in your other posts.

David

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Rabidgerry

I think we should be asking what sound you want out of your MP-1 (what type of bands)?
Didn't see anything specific in your other posts.

David

Hey David, go look at the "what are you listening to this week" thread in rant's and raves  :)  plenty of indication what I like on there........................isn't that right MJMP?  :metal:

trader144

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Got it.
Did you try a distortion pedal? Just wondering about your experience.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Oh yeah, I have.  Which is why bought a 3tm mp1 to cover that bass.  The whole reason I want the SS is just to supe up my other MP1 rather than have to MP1s the same.  Also just to give it a general overhaul internally (mind you the mp1 in question I think sounds amazing even with the rubbish no name tubes in there!! compared to another one I just sold)

feline guitars

• Feline Guitars - guitar repairs and Custom built guitars
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Just updated my MP1 that already has the SS Mod with the MDRT and I have to confess that these two mods are both worth it
The MDRT in particular is just what the doctor ordered.
I suddenly have very decent bass - not overpowering or flubby , but just right

The unit is now a great hard-rocking preamp and maybe one of the best sounding MP1s I've heard, and I've owned many MP1s since early 1988 (crikey that's 28 years!)

The gain levels that I would have to dial up to 10 before the SS Mod I now get before 7, and I find that I rarely need to have the gain pushed so hard.
The MDRT has given a whole lot more authority to the sounds..it's clearer because there is enough juice for the bass notes to be reproduced clearly
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up