ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 Classic - All patches to SS  (Read 5000 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
MP-1 Classic - All patches to SS
« on: Time Format »

Whelp, here's a new one. I have a gig later tonight and wouldn't you know it, my Classic started doin weird shit last night. I literally moved it from the bedroom to the living room to go over some songs last night and when I got the rack plugged in - all my distortion was gone. No gain whatsoever. All patches.

The FX seem to be changing, the MP-1 Classic is changing patches, but they're all flat, dry, dead. This morning, I took out the tubes, they look brand new. I hit a patch that should be my rhythm crunch and checked the voicing - SOLID STATE. I know for a fact that should be the Brown channel. So, I switch it and my distortion is back!

All my patches are now reverted to Solid State and all my EQs are now FLAT. I lost all my settings.... What gives? Is my battery dying?

I saved one patch with distortion, shut the unit off, and turned it back on. It remembered the settings. So, I guess the battery is working, or at least intermittently. Or, I mysteriously just cleared the entire memory somehow. Grrr....

I'll bring the Viper to the gig tonight
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: MP-1 Classic - All patches to SS
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

It sure wouldn't hurt to replace the battery that's been in there for the last 20 years.  I'd start with that and see how it goes from there.  Seems weird that a dodgy battery could cause what you described but Quickest, Easiest, Cheapest option > pulling your hair out before finding that did it.  :hair-out:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

That's what I was thinking too... How does that battery come out? It looks like it's just slid into two prongs, but when I try to budge it.... it's attached. Do I have to desolder that?

Griphook

• Less is more? More is more!
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

AFAIK, the battery is soldered to the PCB. So its hould be the same procedure as the Battery Mod for the MP-1.
Maybe MJMP can clarify this.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

AFAIK, the battery is soldered to the PCB. So its hould be the same procedure as the Battery Mod for the MP-1.
^This. CR2032 battery, pcb mount clip battery holder. 5mins of (de-)soldering.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, definitely battery, the default program is SS and all parameters = 0 (which is what has happened to you).  You can measure the battery (if you want) anything less than 2.7v and it's gone  :facepalm: .
The battery mounts vertically the same as MP2 so you can't do quite the same mod as MP1 (as MP1 battery is horizontal, ie flat to the PCB).  So you either need a vertical CR2032 batter holder and make sure the lugs are spaced correctly for the PCB holes, or buy a battery with lugs attached (like the one you are taking out).  When I did one of my MP2s I bought some batteries with lugs attached (as sourcing a vertical holder was going to take time, the shop had some batteries with lugs attached).  I had to bend the lugs so they lined up with the PCB so it was a bit fiddly (you could solder a join wire to one lug to make it easier). I suggest you desolder the battery and take it to the store so you can check the spacing's are the same, or if you source a vertical holder, pay attention to the lug spacing specs (or again you'd need to use a join wire to get it to fit).  Ideally, you may be able to source an identical battery (3v lithium) that isn't a CR2032.  Mike found one for his MP1 but they are more expensive than CR2032s although probably last another 20 years.  Not sure how long a CR2032 will last, but it probably isn't 20 years  :dunno: , hence a holder is probably a better option for them.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Okay, after a few hours sleep (had a gig last night), I was on my third cup of coffee and pulled out the soldering iron. I have a decent one now, with a temp setting, and it heats up QUICK. I used some solder wick and desoldered the battery with no issues. The holes are nice and clean on the PCB. Yay ME  :banana:

Now, to find another battery...wish me luck. UPDATE: Got one online for $8 (plus $8 shipping). Hey, $16 is a cheap fix, I'll take it.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: go Dante  :thumb-up: , just make sure you get the polarity right and "tin" the lugs before you solder them in

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Usually you get an err7 when the battery is dead on a classic (and the MB-1)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Okay folks, I am now qualified to replace a battery in an MP unit. I received my new battery, soldered it right it, and plugged it in. It went through B1, B2, B2...and on up to 128....then Err7....then the regular boot up process "tubes not ready....tubes not ready..." and appears to be working fine  :thumb-up: So, I put it back in the rack

This morning, I hooked up the footswitch and tried accessing patches... It works fine! Woot! I'll be writing patches over the next couple days. But, after using. an MP-2 for so many years, writing patches on the Classic is a breeze. Pretty soon, I'll be back onstage with my gold sunglasses and lit up shoes

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Wayne's World party time, Swing  :thumb-up: .  Love the gold glasses  :whoohoo!:
Pages: [1]   Go Up