ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NGD  (Read 7180 times)

GuitarBuilder

Re: NGD
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

@GuitarBuilder,

Thanks man.
   I'm considering a few mods to it, but not many. One of the things I was thinking of at first was to replace the tuning machines with Fender locking tuners, but I was playing this thing for most of the day yesterday, and using some heavy tremolo throughout, and it really didn't come out of tune very much at all, much to my surprise.
   The other considerations I have in mind for mods, is to put a brass bridge block in it from KGC, as well as the brass compensated spring anchor, and maybe the raw tremolo springs. When I got it yesterday, the bridge was pulled tight against the body, with 5 springs in it, I took out two of them and floated the bridge like I do with all of my Strats, and went to town on it! It's really a well built and beautiful instrument.
   The other mod I will definitely do is replace the pickups. The stock, standard Strat pups in this thing are noisy as hell, and don't really sound that spectacular, so this may be the guitar that I try out the Zexcoil pups on. This way, it will be silent through an overdriven amp as the virtual guitars are.
   Other than the possibility of locking tuners if that becomes an issue, this axe doesn't really need anything at all, other than a great amp to play it through, and I've got that covered pretty well.

Here are the typical mods most VG-5 owners do:

1) Fender or Schaller locking tuners
2) SuperVee tremolo bridge
3) DiMarzio Area pickup set
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: NGD
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I've looked into the Area pups, but really didn't care for the way they sounded, so maybe it's time to look at something different.

As I've mentioned, the tremolo is working out quite well. I've put on a fresh set of strings, and been using the trem pretty heavily. It's holding up very well.

You know the old saying: If it's not broke, don't fix it.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up