ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: power supplies!!!!  (Read 13026 times)

gb

power supplies!!!!
« on: Time Format »

Ok so I acquired a dunlop rack wah dirt cheap. Has a generic power supply, chunky and heavy and has the end chopped to suit the rack wah. But all works. I want to use a light modern power pack.

It read it requires 19v min but currently uses 20v DC power supply. Im yet to check what amps it is.

Now my understanding is that I could use a 4amp power supply and the unit will draw only what it needs is this correct..  even though the unit is 2amp as an example. I guess I dont want to blow my unit up from too much power. I have a dell laptop power supply thats 19.5v and 4amps. Its light and slimline..

Any issues with using this?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: power supplies!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

The dunlop rack wah uses a 24V AC 200mA power supply,a DC won't work!!!!

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dcr2sr-cry-baby-rack-module

« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

gb

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

The dunlop rack wah uses a 24V AC 200mA power supply,a DC won't work!!!!

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dcr2sr-cry-baby-rack-module
[/quote

You are right.. its AC not DC!! i just checked and the powersupply its using is 16VAC 1.5amp .. i have the DSR1 rack and i read it uses 16V or 20V i think i dont know how it can use a range 16-20V .. i think the dunlop powersupply is 20V but the one that came with mine is 16V .. it still works though. I noticed the 4 or 5 pin connector only uses 2 pins from the powersupply..

Ive tried contacting dunlop but they dont reply to my emails and nowhere seems to sell the power supply. I believe its part ECB730 for the dsr1.

I might just have to find another power supply that meets the specs. The one i have is an old big heavy brick thing thats from a telecommunications device.

cheers for clarifying!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Well i have the DCR-2 and it uses a standard plug like a boss pedal.Do you have a pic of the connector?

gb

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Here are some quick pics. Its a 4pin connector although the power supply only has 2 wires and this seems to power the unit. Not sure what the other 2 would do in a factory power supply. Seems strange.

gb

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hijack of my own thread but where so u have your dcr2 in the chain at the moment. Are you using an ada mp1?

I have my guitar into the dcr1 input. The dcr1 output wet/dry goes to input of the ada mp1 rear panel.  Then I have my intellifex in the effects loop. The ada mp1 outs to stereo power amp. Only downfall here is I loose the stereo effect. Ive run it this way as the ada sounds more true than running it daisy chained. Maybe its just my ears. Stull sounds good :). I assumed wah should come before and not after the ada mp1.

Yes yes all problems can be solved by using the mp2 which I love however not sold on it just yet.. the mp1 stock really has the sound I want and i cant replicate it in the mp2.. the mp2 has intermittent issues as you know on start up so I dont trust it.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey GB, the Mp1 is a thing unto itself, great preamp and I do miss mine although I love the MP2.
I have my guitar into the dcr1 input. The dcr1 output wet/dry goes to input of the ada mp1 rear panel.  Then I have my intellifex in the effects loop. The ada mp1 outs to stereo power amp. Only downfall here is I loose the stereo effect. Ive run it this way as the ada sounds more true than running it daisy chained. Maybe its just my ears. Stull sounds good :) . I assumed wah should come before and not after the ada mp1.
As you say the biggest downfall is losing stereo.  And they way you've patched is IMHO eminently sensible. But unfortunately, going in and out of digital gadgets means A/D D/A conversion and digital trickery on the digital bit. Not that this is bad, I love digital reverb, but I want to preserve my analogue signal as much as I can. Yes wah would normally come before the MP1, but you could put one in the loop.
Not to turn your patch upside down but running it like I do with a mixer (see http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=117.0), similar to how you'd run a PA would preserve stereo and analogue and please your ears :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Those look like 5 pin din connectors,like midi connectors right?

I use a MP-1 3TM ultra+ for distortion and an MP-2 for cleans and mild overdrive switched by a rocktron patchmate.I have mine before the ADA's.All my effects are after the MP-1 or MP-2,just to keep the stereo effect.Never liked the loop of the mp-1.

Nolan,i think the dry signal in the intellifex stays analog,it isn't digitized  :o

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

(Nolan,i think the dry signal in the intellifex stays analog,it isn't digitized  :o) Cool, then it's great candidate for making life easy and chain through it after the MP1 and keep stereo :thumb-up: .  So best back end of your patch MP1 A/B out > IFx L/R in IFx L/R out > power amp L/R in, mix the amount of effect with mix (wet/dry) in IFx, change its program (different effects/mix settings or bypass) via midi (use MP1 midi through or midi out into IFx midi in).
I couldn't find a dcr1 on google, is it like MJMPs dcr2 (i.e. a rack wah)?  I take it it does line level out if your coming in the MP1 rear input (as it's a line level input).
Depending whether you want to distort the wah (before MP1) or wah the distorted MP1 signal (MP1 loop) are the two options.
If you want to put it before the MP1, I'd go with inst level settings and go into the MP1 front input (or do the mod with makes the rear input the same as front for guit/inst level as may be easier with you rack/patch?), otherwise you increase the gain via the dcr1 (guitar millivolts to line level ~volts) and then the MP1 will drop them back again to millivolts for the tube/SS circuits (MJMP correct me if I'm wrong), which is not good gain structure (unless you are running really long guitar cables ?).
If it runs comfortably at line level (in/out), then the loop may be a better place for it (you can switch it in an out on different patches) and plug your guitar in the front input.  But try both (all 3 i.e. rear input as well) and see how it sounds, the big bonus will be stereo Fx with the IFx after the MP1.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

The rack wah just puts out instrument level so the level will be to low for a line in altough i have a boost knob so maybe it could work.Putting it behind the mp-1 won't sound good IMO,it will sound quite nasal.

gb

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The rack wah just puts out instrument level so the level will be to low for a line in altough i have a boost knob so maybe it could work.Putting it behind the mp-1 won't sound good IMO,it will sound quite nasal.

What do you mean behind the mp1? Are the front and rear inputs on the mp1 different? Should I run the output of the rack wah to the front of the mp1 instead?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Well i mean connecting the wah after the mp-1,but that won't sound good at all.

The V1.xx have an instrument level front input and a balanced line in on the back,the V2.xx have both instrument level inputs.
You can modify the V1 to V2 specs with the rear jack mod.

So it all depends what version you have.

gb

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Well i mean connecting the wah after the mp-1,but that won't sound good at all.

The V1.xx have an instrument level front input and a balanced line in on the back,the V2.xx have both instrument level inputs.
You can modify the V1 to V2 specs with the rear jack mod.

So it all depends what version you have.

Ahh yes I see what you mean. I have 2.01. And I did notice what you mean I now plug guitar into rear input of wah then output to mp1 input on rear.

Im not sure I understand what the wet/dry output and wet/buff outputs mean on the wah. I know what dry is. How so I use all these outputs if the mp1 has 1 input.

Sorry for the noob questions just trying to understand my gear and how best utilize it.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Can you take some pics of the front and back of the wah,this way i can see the differences with mine.

gb

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Can you take some pics of the front and back of the wah,this way i can see the differences with mine.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up