ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Music Video and Single  (Read 18407 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: New Music Video and Single
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Well I found that first link very rude and untruthful , the second one just tell how I feel it.

I like the album,  :thumb-up:

Well man, on the first review, I agree completely, it almost reads like the guy has a problem from the beginning.  I reading some of the comments below some people actually ridicule him and his bias.  Also some people totally jump on the wagon though and get on with knocking the album.  The language from some of these people and the reviewer to me comes across like a teenager or something, it's a total joke.  I guess it's made me paranoid about the production more than anything else because the rest (the music, the playing etc) is subjective.

Glad you like it  :thumb-up: and if you didn;t I would hope you would tell me.

Gerry,

the first reviewer most probably digs albums/bands that have their guitars tuned down to subterranean levels with a guitar tone where bass is dialled out completely and mids and highs are boosted up to the ISS. Your album probably didn't djent enough  ;D ;D ;D

Take that review with a grain of ["...add accordingly..."]. My digipack should be delivered shortly by Japan Post and until then I can only add up to all other very positive reviews I read so far (on the basis of having listend to some snippets and your vids).
Keep em coming RBOTN!!!

Yeah he comes across totally biased against the style of metal, hahaha there is a djent bit in the middle of "The Missionary" hahaha what are chances of that eh?  Well I think it's a djent bit  (what a silly f**king term eh?)

Yes I know to take the review with a grain of salt, it's just that one shocked me as it was the first bad review I found and also so blatantly negative.  It sounded like it was written by someone dead against the band.................although from what I can gather this is their first encounter (they are canadian I think).

Hey RG, call me a philistine, but what does NWoBHM stand for, and what's a DR10 or DR12 ? :dunno:

Well I found that first link very rude and untruthful , the second one just tell how I feel it.
+1  It seems there is allot of strange politics in the "metal" genre  :dunno: which the first guy seems more focused on than the music.

For what it's worth (and you know I'm not a "metal" guy), I really like your clip and when I finally get a job again  :facepalm: I'd like to get the album but on CD, no progress bar... just my trusty Nakamichi CD player and some decent speakers so I can hear it properly.

Nwobhm stands for New Wave fo British Heavy Metal.  Some people call this a genre, for me it is not really, it was a movement from 1979-82 in England when many bands started emerging playing heavy metal in a vast aray of styles, the variation is what made it special along with the sheer number of bands.  Famous bands that emerged from this movement are Iron Maiden, Saxon, Def Leppard.  Those big names emerged from the movement in their own right and went on to massive commercial success as you probably are aware.  So if you see nwobhm you will know what it means.

It's a large influence on my own band since I like a lot of these NWOBHM bands as do the other guys.  However I think the press has read to much into our nwobhm influences by branding us like a "modern day nwobhm band".  I personally see us more like a band that was inspired by the NWOBHM............................such as Metallica.  Not saying we sound like Metallica, I'm saying we are like a band who formed because of the movements influence on us and we are very much carrying on from them.  So our sound is more like the sounds that came after nwobhm bands or closer to what some of the nwobhm bands developed into.

Richard, you are dead right about politics in metal, it's actually really bad.  I for one don't mind admitting I have elitist views on the matter, but I don't review or pay attention to the stuff I don't deem suitable or within my classification of what metal is.  Whereas this guy has reviewed us knowing full well we are more a traditional metal band which appears not to be to his taste from what I can gather.  It's all BS at the end of the day, but I do wish the "metal" tag or genre was a little more defined, as currently as it stands, I could meet someone who is into metal, and strike up a conversation with them only to find out we are poles apart based on the fact that they like more of one sub-genre as opposed to the traditional old school stuff I like.  I guess the linkage is because a lot of the stuff I don't like, was born from the stuff I do like.  Doesn't make it the same though.

But yes, the politics is something that is out there, and we as a band never get involved in it.  If we did, we would come across like the prick in that review  :lol:  and no one likes people like that. 

But Richard I'm glad you can appreciate the song in the video, but if you felt it wasn't good or mundane or boring or whatever I'd like to be told.

I'm biased, but I really like that song hahahhaha

Oh and DR10 and DR12 are measurements of dynamic range Richard.  So he critisizes me for making a DR10 album.  Even though it's closer to DR12 as I measured it hahahaha  So yes I left 12db of dynamic range and I could have made the whole thing louder but I chose not to.

Having shown this to the band and a little more investigation, it appears this guy just writes negative blogs about everyone, therefore I deduct - bullshit.

********************EDIT:********************
I MUST GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE! the asshole reviewer guy was right, the tracks are DR10.  some are DR11.  Still plenty of dynamic range left.  How he even knows about dynamic range is actually puzzling, I'm sure bands he likes don't leave very much DR on their records hence him complaining about my tracks.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, F^ck that guy. He sounds like he trolls everyone. Must suffer from small penis envy  :lol: or something.
I wouldn't give his review a second thought, other than maybe wiping my ass with it. :poop:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, F^ck that guy. He sounds like he trolls everyone. Must suffer from small penis envy  :lol: or something.
I wouldn't give his review a second thought, other than maybe wiping my ass with it. :poop:

Careful Soloist, that might leave a different stain!

Critics are people who can't do anything in life other than talk about what everyone else is doing. It doesn't mean they are right about anything, they simply try to sound like they are an authority on a subject by introducing some form of snobbery into their banter. Unfortunately, the world is full of critics, and yet for every critic who bashes an artist, there are 100 people who like the artist and the topic being bashed.

The only thing I can say about any reviewer, or critic is this: To this day, I have yet to see any one of them offer up an artistic contribution of their own, to clearly demonstrate what their concept of perfection should be. Have you?
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Hey RG. thanks, I think I get it now  :thumb-up: , so DR10 or whatever is how much headroom you have in your final mix.  Very difficult to evaluate from a 320kbs mp3 file.  Unfortunately the mp3 codec(s) tend to annihilate the attack transients as they throw bits away to make the file smaller.

Don't worry, if I didn't like it I'd tell you, but I'd also say why. I'm proud of you guys, it's not an easy road and not easy to stay true to yourself  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

hahahaha you da man!  Man!!

On further investigation I have since realised that that guy doesn't seem to be a regular "reviewer" type, he seems to just be geared towards dissing everyone and anything.  So Troll is correct.  How a troll knows what DR10 is though is pretty f*cked up.  What is wrong with the world these days that we have to have a site where the guy's schtick is to slag and discedit music.  It's like people on Youtube going to things they don't like just to knock it.

While I agree with you Harley, I still think we need critics, just a little bit, however the problem is that the threshold for who can be a critic and who cannot is way too f**king low.  It seems anyone has the right to become a journalist these days and this is down to the internet giving every asshole with a keyboard a platform to spew vomit onto our monitors and impressionable masses read this garbage and take it all verbatim.  If it was like the old days where you had to qualify as a journalist, then get a job writing for a magazine or paper you would not have such a gulf of garbage being spewn out for all to see.  We live in a world now where any teenage angst ridden Nirvana fan with broadband can vent their spline to the world via shit blogs and all the other social media outlets via tablet, laptop or mobile (cell) phone.  If I could put a big piece of gaffa tape over all this and silence the shite I would  :facepalm:

Richard, I cannot tell the DR rating either from MP3 (who was using an MP3 file btw?)  or a WAv  that matter, but I use this TT meter to check.

http://productionadvice.co.uk/how-to-avoid-over-compressing-your-mix/

I have this meter if you want it yourself.  You can use it in DAW or else use the standalone version (only on 16bit files though).

In reading further I see that guy has developed his own new version which I might look into.

Also Richard, thanks for being proud of us, all the support from everyone on here is really, really encouraging and great.  I feel I get proper informed opinions from people on here.  I rely on the honesty from you guys as well.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I also have a tremendous amount of respect for people who expend the sheer amount of time and energy it takes to get where you've got so far  :thumb-up: , this (particularly to me) is not trivial. And I also like and respect that you stay true to yourselves, also not easy... :facepalm: .

The whole DR10 thing (if I understand it correctly) to me is a misnomer, dynamic range is the whole landscape from softest to loudest sounds (samples), the difference between your loudest sounds to clipping (to allow for peaks not averages) is headroom (analogue clipping is not optimal but digital clipping is worse than not nice).  The CD loudness war isn't about dynamic range, it's about squeezing the maximum amount of bits into the recording so it sounds loudest (and there are various way to do this). So in word based formats (eg wav, aif, cda) this is controlled by the bit depth (16 bit, 24 bit etc), as in each sample (at eg 48k word samples p/s), the softest = 0 = 24 zeros (000000000000000000000000) and the loudest possible (before clip) is 24 ones = +144db (111111111111111111111111). So this is your DR (dynamic range).

The first link review (HunkandStine) says he reviewed a 320 kbps mp3 (and this is why he had a progress bar (that frustrated him LoL)), mp3 codecs are not nice to the dynamic range as dynamic range takes up space/bit depth etc and they also destroy all your attack transients (the things that really need dynamic range (like a snare hit) and make music what it should be..).  mp3s are the basic low quality that "will do for now" through some crappy earbuds.  Should you mix/master for that ? absolutely, but do the conversions yourself, throwing (allot) of bits away is never pleasant/easy but it is what it is in the land of the great unwashed and unfortunately, needs to be catered for.

Probably the easiest way of checking your headroom (as I know you care about it) is a program like GoldWave (https://www.goldwave.com/release.php) plenty of free use, I liked it so much I bought a perpetual license, even though I use less than 1% of the features. Just compare the visual samples in the wav display.  If you open an older recording (rip) they left lots of headroom, but when you open a "Donnas" file/song, there is "no" space left, loudest CD I've ever heard. I've attached a screen scrape of Deep Purple Fireball 25th anniversary (so they have already upped it for the anniversary edition) No One Came, and the Donnas It's On The Rocks, you can easily see the difference in headroom, but hey horses for courses, it depends what you want to do.  I quite like both tracks but I'd prefer the Donnas were a little less compressed, but then that's me.. each to their own...

Anyway my friend, you keep doing what is true to you and yours  :thumb-up: , I for one like, appreciate and respect you for it  :wave: (kick arse RBoTN  :whoohoo!: )

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Hi Richard, you should really check out that link I sent you it talks about exactly what you are mentioning above.

Thank you again for your support and encouragement.

The meter I use "TT Meter" measures the distance between peaks and troughs to get it's dynamic range.  I'm not sure where you got that the idea that this cd loudness war is about dynamic range.  Nobody said it was  :dunno:  I know the loudness war is about squeezing every inch of life out of a mix until there are very little peaks and troughs left and basically the end result is a square wav form. Well I'm not playing along with that game  :lol:

So when I say I left  DR10 I mean I left 10db of dynamic range, there is no other way of describing this, but that meter measures it.  I believe Pro Tools and other Daws have meters similar to the TT meter built in.

The WAV display thing in Goldwav is pretty standard in all DAWS that I have seen.  The TT meter calculates what can be seen in the visual WAV display, which is a dam site more convenient than going through the whole song myself.

see attached one of my songs DR10, and also one of a brand new album measuring at DR5
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, so it measures the crest factor, that makes much more sense and as the guy says, seems it's quite a useful tool.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Which is the dynamic range.

Take a look at those screen shots man, the one at DR5 looks a lot worse than your screen grab of "The Donnas" track.  Pretty outrageous.

I have listened to the album quite a bit that the DR5 track is from and I can hear detectable distortion throughout the album.  And it's a shame as the album is excellent and by one of my fav bands Metal Church.  However in the pursuit of loudness they've created distortion and also left no dynamics at all.

What is the point of this?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, well as he says in the write up, it's not strictly the dynamic range but a portion of it, ie how much room you leave to accommodate peaks which I call head room.

I had a look at the Metal Church screen shot, "pretty outrageous" is being nice about it.  How to ruin a recording  :facepalm: .  I agree, what's the point  :dunno: .

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

I have other albums similar to this, but I cannot detect distortion.  The Metal Church album I can hear distortion in various places, it's quite obvious in my studio reference headphones.

I had tonnes of head room before I put the album through a limiter.  I boosted about 7db.  I could have boosted more and made a square wav like the Metal Church album.  Crazy shit man, I don't get it, perhaps it is us who don't know best and these square wav makers are the authorities eh?   :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, pushing the limits makes distortion a real likelihood, and digital distortion isn't pleasant, that Donnas track is pushed about as far as you can get away with (IMHO), don't get me wrong, I like the Donnas album, I also don't mind it's so "in your face", but it's carefully crafted.  That said, I like some decent headroom (depends on the music how much).  Compression and limiting is something I've always been very careful with.  E.g. If a drum gets hit harder, it should sound such, and have the room to cope.  Some of it is the medium (music, file type etc) and also the final transducer (eg ear buds, decent headphones, decent monitors).  Hey if making square waves works for them and their audience, so be it  :facepalm: , it's their choice, for me it's about making it the best I can with plenty of headroom for the transients.  The only time I've used a limiter is in large PA applications, but this is to prevent speaker damage, not to squish the music.  In the early days I sometimes used a bit of lite compression (max 2:1) on the kick and bass just to make them sit nice and tight, and very occasionally on a vocal, again just to make it sit (and being careful not to loose the "s"s and "t"s).  I think while there are more people out there these days with decent monitoring, there are way more who don't care and listen through crappy ear buds.  The world has got used to shit sound, maybe it always was ? My dad was a HiFi nut, it's always been important to me, hence my dislike of mp3s, hey I get they are very convenient, but you loose so much  :facepalm:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

I understand completely.  Although it's all subjective.

Although no professional piece of music has anything like that little amount of compression you mention used on it these days.

And Limiters are also common place and have been for years.  I may have not blitzed my album but there is a limiter used on the vocals to tame peaks, there is also various compressors on mostly the vocals (I used parallel compression on vocals) and on the bass guitar, and snare.  Then at the very end of my mix I used a mastering limiter to boost the level.  It's that final limiter that people pump up the volume too much and squash it to death.  It's too easy to do you see.  However it's not amateurs just doing this, it's the industry pros.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up