ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quadraverb Help  (Read 8585 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Quadraverb Help
« on: Time Format »

Does anyone still have one of these? Any settings you could share would be greatly appreciated! Just picked one up, and finding it tricky to make patches. Any help is welcomed.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Quadraverb Help
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Had mine for 30(ish) years, great fx and easy to use. my suggestion is dial up a decent stereo delay e.g. 250ms L and 300 R a little regeneration (I open high pass filter) and a little reverb (same idea keep it open, turn high pass/low pass filters off) MIX that in in stereo.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I will give it a try today. I am surprised at all the parameter settings for the reverb a little intimidating at first. Do you have any favorite settings to share? (Chorus/flange/phase). I am trying for a clean chorusy  Queensryche type tone i.e. lady wore black.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

The QV provided more reverb parameters than most units (particularly in it's day (similar to the studio reverbs of the time)), have you read the manual ? it's a great (and I highly recommend) primer for understanding time base effects, and particularly the reverb. But you don't have to play around with every variable, I've never tried the factory patches (and had it for 25 ish years LOL) but I suspect some of those are a good start to then tweak to what you want (or not). There was one big(ish) delay patch I ran up for my MP1, I think I had a little flange as well ? Otherwise I tend to do the controlled stereo delay and a little (room I think) reverb. Apart from the delay/rev times, the main change I made was to turn off low/high pass filters as I wanted the full signal.
For chorus I always used MP1/2.
It's in my live rack, and it dropped its programs a while ago, I thought it was memory battery, tech says battery is still good (never been changed BTW). But if I find any of my old patches (IIRC I had a flange patch for White Wedding back in the covers day) I'll post them.
Thing with QV is don't be daunted by it, yes you can adjust a gazillion parameters (if you want/need to), but the basics are there also e.g. delay type, time, feedback; reverb type, time, pre-delay, just adjust them to the speed of the music (convert beats per minute to miliseconds) or just go with what sounds good.

Soloist

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

But if I find any of my old patches (IIRC I had a flange patch for White Wedding back in the covers day) I'll post them[/quote.]

That would be awesome. I did read the manual(thick ass novel) it does explain a lot but not everything. I do use the chorus on the MP1 but when I am using the JMP I want to use the QV chorus
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Are, forgot about the JMP1. Yes it's a long read LOL but worth it, again just keep it simple but have a play with some of the settings to map what you hear back to the "book". (pre delay in the reverb is a good start)
IIRC the chorus in the QV is pretty decent. Remember though with QV (and any digital thingy), each effect (time based) takes processing power. E.g. if you want a really long delay, you have to use mono delay as stereo delay uses up the processing at shorter delay times. etc.
It's definitely worth (not that I ever did doh  :facepalm: ) just scrolling through the factory presets and grabbing what you like and tweak to your needs. It has some pretty good sounds (I flicked through a few of them, but I knew what I wanted and just dialed it up on blank patches). Also the lesley effect is interesting (not seen this in any other effect unit) (fast (controllable) spinning speaker in a box creating Doppler effects, used lots with Hammond organs). QVs were way ahead of their time (back then, nothing else did 4 effects at a time), and still sound good.

Soloist

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Well after spending the day fiddling with the QV I have come up with 3 usable patches. 1 mild eq w/stereo delay, 2 Chorus-mono delay and room reverb. The third is a phase shifter-ping pong delay-Reverse reverb ( kinda Gilmourish :bow:) for cleans. They all still need some tweaking but getting there. Only liked a few factory presets, nothing close to what I want so I did those 3 from scratch. I used some settings I had written down for my HD500 not exact but it gets me in the ballpark.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Cool, at least the QV is reasonably easy to drive, I'll try to find time tomorrow to crack open my live rack and see if there are any you may like.

Soloist

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Thank you!
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

Soloist

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey rnolan, I know your a busy guy but did you get a chance to find any presets for the Quadraverb?
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Had the live rack set up for a bit now and been tinkering with it, mostly playing my new JPLP through it for hours and going to bed way late (well early morning really LOL).
I posted my main QV patch a while ago with a couple of MP2 patches I listed for MJMP and Dante and thought you might see it, although is in MP2 thread  :facepalm: . (though I've included ALL the settings here)
So here's my main QV patch which I use for most everything:
FX  Quadverb:
Configuration: EQ->PITCH->DELAY->REVERB

Mix: Direct signal select: pre-eq/direct signal level +00/master FX level +99 (so full wet)/pitch output level +00/delay output level +31/reverb output level +99

EQ: low eq freq 100/low eq amplitude +03.00 dB/mid eq freq 2000Hz, bandwidth 1.00 octaves, amplitude 0/hi eq freq 10000Hz, amplitude +04.05 dB

Pitch Mode = Stereo Chorus/ pitch input post-eq/LFO waveshape Square/ LFO Speed 01/LFO depth 63/ pitch FB 37%

Stereo Delay /del input 1: pre-eq/delay input mix: 1 <-99 pitch/L 120ms/FB 26% R 240ms/FB 36%

Reverb = Chamber1/rev input 1: pre eq/rev input 2: delay output/rev input mix 1<-00->2/ /predelay 74ms/ pre delay mix: pre 80 -> post/Rev decay 50/ diffusion 6/ density 7/ rev gate off

So as pitch input is post eq and pitch output is 0, neither the chorus or eq is used but I listed them all.

Both delay and rev inputs are pre-eq so this patch is just delay and reverb. Also I didn't list the reverb Gate parameters as it's off.

BTW my QV is a very early one, there were I think some firmware updates available later but I didn't know about them so it's stock. Also I spotted a QV2 in someones rack the other day and it's a much later unit.
I used to have a long mono delay back in the day and also a flange patch for white wedding, as I tinker more I'll post them if they still exist, I may have lost them when I though the battery was dead, turned out tech couldn't get a battery for it but the original battery was fine... though I seem to remember loosing all my patches and starting again  :dunno: it was a long time ago.

Soloist

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I will program it in tomorrow, well later today haha and check it out. Thanks!
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Pages: [1]   Go Up