ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: volume swells settings for La Villa Strangiato  (Read 5569 times)

El Chiguete

Hello forum bros, here is a question for you: what settings would you use to get the volume swells on La Villa Strangiato? These are not your big ambient and organ/keys volume swells but your nice violin type swells  :metal:.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El, well the youtube clip I searched/watched didn't seem to have any volume swells  :dunno: . Good guitarist BTW.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNilsLf6eW4

At 3:37 when the solo start you can hear swells.

BTW this is a great song ,again in my top 5 rush songs.

You need to use not too much gain and then use your guitar vol pot or a volume pedal before the preamp.

El Chiguete

Today I was playing around with 2 delay times at once using the Fibonacci sequence and I got a real good result for soloing delay. On the weekend I will see how this sounds using the volume pedal in front :)

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El, do tell, how were you using Fibonacci ? which is a nice bit of recursion (which is a concept you either get or don't get it seems). so Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2 and stopping conditions of either F0 = 0 and F1 = 1 or F1 = 1 and F2 = 1

El Chiguete

Well the idea behind using Fibonacci numbers in delay is that (first google them to understand a bit more of them) since they are a natural ocurring sequence and form from one number to the other when using 2 numbers (2 delay times) that are one after the other on the sequence you get delay times that interact with one another allmost like reverb and they dont mess each other up like if you use two random delay times. Steve Vai uses them I think. But basicly uf you want to use 2 delay times to open up the sound by having them blend nicely the you can use 2 of this number un sequence:

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597,...

BTW to have a more reverb type of delay you use longer numbers, I'm using now 610 and 987 but to have them blend better the one with the higher number I have it with a but less feedback so the finish their repeats at around the same time and also its level is a bit lower than the first because when the first repet of the 987 delay comes its a bit before the second repet of the 610 delay and if I dont put that one with a bit less volume then it will stick out instead of blending together.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El, very cool my friend and a great idea for all the right reasons  :thumb-up: And I get why they'd be more "reverb" like than delay as such.  I usually work out a delay as a product of the song speed, so if 120 beats per minute, 2 beats every second, 1 beat = 500ms, 1/2 beat = 250ms etc, so you can keep your delays in time with the song.

BTW Wikipedia has a decent page to help understand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number).

But to quickly demonstrate how to extend Els posted sequence below:
The next number will be 987 + 1597 = 2584 and the next will be 1597 + 2584 = 4181 and so on (particularly as they are getting to be quite long delays).
Actually I suspect that you don't have to use consecutive numbers from the sequence for your 2 delay times for them to interact well as, as you say they are naturally occurring numbers.

El Chiguete

Actually I suspect that you don't have to use consecutive numbers from the sequence for your 2 delay times for them to interact well as, as you say they are naturally occurring numbers.

Yeha thats probably true but I keep mine one next to the other, if not you need to really play with the feedback and volume of each one because if you usea a short one like 233 and maybe 987 the first one will repeat like 3 times before the second one makes its first repeat, so the first one will have less volume and maybe fading away and then the second one will come up with a fresh and louther volume repeat in comparison.

Depending on what type of delay you want to use like a shorter slapback or something go with lower numbers. And also I think with this sequence you dont need to be that much "song speed specific" since they interact in a natural way with one and the other.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El, thanks for that my friend  :thumb-up: , some very good advice about how to play around with it (and very salient points regarding feedback). I'm going to give it a crack, will let you know how I go. I really like the idea BTW (organic, natural, analogue) sits well with me...
R
Pages: [1]   Go Up