Miscellaneous > Recording - Studio Talk

Bobby Gustafson's sound? (Overkill - The Years Of Decay)

<< < (2/2)

MarshallJMP:
E!-limination  ;D Overkill, a great band. Loved them since they appeared on Metal Massacre 5 with Death Rider.

Now the sound on years of decay could be a MP-1 but also a JCM800.Either way it does have a boosted sound. But I guess you can get very close in sound with a MP-1 boosted with EQ (like a boss GE-7) with a reverse smile setting. I used to use this on my first MP-1 in the early 90's.You can get the perfect trash sound out of an MP-1 this way.

rabidgerry:
I never really got into Overkill despite my love of a million and 1 bands in this metal style.

I think to put the metal to the test (see what I did there?),  it's time to post some clips.  Whilst I do not have the GE-7 EQ I have an excellent Chinese (feeling the scrutiny right now  :facepalm:) copy Biyang!

And I've been lookin an excuse to crack it out recently so now is my chance right?  :thumb-up:

Hopefully have some clips up this weekend.

Personally I boost my stock MP1 with the Vintage Overdrive on my Boss GT5, no drive, and volume set to half way.  I get that extra chunk.  Essentially it's acting as a mid-hi mid boost in front of the MP1.  Sounds great to me.  But I wanna try the EQ out also.

MJMP how many db do you boost?  Just until it feels right? :headbanger:

MarshallJMP:
In the mid range around 7dB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version