ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Muddy/Mushy bass - HELP!!  (Read 11214 times)

herbyguitar

Re: Muddy/Mushy bass - HELP!!
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I like this site. You guys are great.
Tubes first. See what happens.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not much of an electronics dabbler. I've wired guitars and done simple pedal mods but nothing like tearing into an amp or preamp. That said, the prospect does not scare me... much.

[edit] I found something very helpful in this thread http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1732.0
He set his EQ up like this: Master 6.0 / Bass 9 / Mid -12 / Treble 0 / Presence -8. I tried it and found out something I had forgotten over the years. Mids and presence will kill articulation in an MP1. This jogged my memory from the 90's when I used the MP1 religiously. I recalled a couple of settings I used to use for specific things. For kick butt Marshall type rock chords and medium to slow solos I set my bass up, mids up, treble scooped, presence maxed. Great woody Marshall tone. For quicker solos and good articulation I set my bass up, mids scooped, trebel up, and presence scooped. Great for fast riffing. I forgot all this in the intervening years from 2002 to 2012 (my hiatus years). I just purchased a Boogie 2 fifty almost brand new off Ebay for 550. No marks and used for only a couple hours. I guess the previous owner didn't like the way the boogie amp colored the sound. Not a problem for me though  :)   MP1 Tubes still on my list. Replacing them tomorrow. Going to try JJ ecc83s first.

The description of the mods is not really that helpful. There are holes in the descriptions. I'm thinking that I will probably need a mod for the frequency response for lows and mids more than amything. Maybe a refurbish mod to replace old parts with new ones.... caps and transformer???
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hey hg (Hmm maybe I should call you Mercury LoL), the JJs should work well and they are a reasonably "tight" tube.
I was going to suggest you check out DJCs threads, seems you found them yourself  :thumb-up: .  He didn't like the boogie power amp colour and now uses a Marshall power amp.
The noise mod and a MDRT is a good place to start.
Maybe start a new thread (Pimp my MP1 or whatever ) so we can all chime in as you go.  And maybe also do a post in Introduce Yourself (http://adadepot.com/index.php?board=34.0) and tell us what gear you have, playing style etc  :wave:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

herbyguitar

the way you ran the tube screamer wasn't they way I would have run it,

I tried putting a tube screamer in front. I pulled down the gains to about 3 and ran the screamer @ around 75%. I also pulled down the EQs to zero except the mids which I ran @ -4. Ran a parametric in the effects loop set at +3db @ 80hz medium band. -3db @ 3.35khz wide band. +3db @ 4.25khz wide band.... seemed to get me close to where I want to be but still not tight enough for my taste. It's been years since I stopped using the MP1 and I don't recall why but this flubby bass problem may be the reason I retired it...

I would have ran it at

Tube Screamer
overdrive: 0%  (or as low as you can get it)
tone: 50%
level

Then stick that in front of a hi-gain MP1 patch (obviously modify it with the EQ to suite the new characteristics the pedal introduces)

I find anything with any pedal in way of it's own gain to suck ASS.  That's why an EQ works good in front as MJMP has suggested in the boost thread on here.
So I make my MP1 do most of the work and literally add the "3rd dimension" using the boost
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Reviving this thread....
I just did the big noise mod to an MP-1 v2 and while at it also swapped all other caps (did the ones as per noise mod: 10uF 450, 2x 33uf 250v (all Panasonic) 5x 33uf 50v (ELNA RFO series).
All others were swapped as follows:
- C3, C9, C10 with Orange Drop 715P 0.0068μF
- C4, C11 with Mica 100pF/1kV
- C5 with Orange Drop 715P 0.015μF
- C14 with WIMA 2700pF
- C15 with Orange Drop 715P 0.01μF

While the unit is almost dead quiet the tightness in the bass is completely gone. Anyone (MJMP) know what the reason could be?
I can get it tight with an OD or DS as clean boost up front but the bass response is overbearing without.
Since these were the only parts I swapped (to the same values as the originals) in addition to the normal noise mod I'm thinking maybe tinkering with the values (of the caps/resistor on the tube board) to get a tighter bass response......?? I'm talking the bass response within the tube stages, not the eq section

@MJMP: Any chance you can shed some light on those 10caps to be replaced for the Standard Gain SS Mod you mentioned here:
Well the SS mod can be orderd as a standard gain and as an increased gain board.But i usually sell the standard ones because in 90% of the cases these have enough gain unless you have very low output PU's.The SS mod is almost identical to the original except for about 10 caps that have a different value,mostly for tone and noise changes.It makes the tone a bit tighter and brings the noise down compared to the original board but retains the original sound.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey Magnus

I'm using 10µF caps for the cathode bypass caps (C16,12,7,6) and 33µF for C13.So I would play with those cap values, the lower the less bass is amplified.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Thanks bro,
I'll do a short trip to Akihabara electronics bazar and stash up on some parts then.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Ok keep us updated

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Another thing to check is the "G" wire going from the main to the tubeboard