ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 Trials  (Read 42335 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: MP1 Trials
« Reply #60 on: Time Format »

This topic has been split to "Power Conditioners" and moved to Rack Gear.

http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1340.0

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #61 on: Time Format »

Yes it was secretly bothering me that we went off on a major topic detour!

Anyways I'll continue to update this with my experimentation and integration into my rig.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #62 on: Time Format »

So yeah, more trials today and with a new power amp.  MP1 sounds great.  But I have worked something out.  When some asshole somewhere in the building switches something on below me I think, I get noise fest!

Noise fest I say.  So there are more forces at work here in the noise problems I have been having.  It's not just a case of switching to two separate outlets, it's probably wiring from lights below me causing me hell (even though my guitar is shielded)

I'm also trying to work out if I am getting enough gain from the MP1.  I think I am actually.  Is that weird?  I do think it needs layered with a pedal before it though for thrashy stuff.  When I say that I mean, dial out some gain on the MP1 then put an OD or something in front also with very very light dirt on there, then suddenly super tight low end and the rest of the tone is easy with the EQ on the MP1.  I noticed the MP1 takes big jumps between numbers on it's eq.  So say going from 0 to -2 on the mid can really be enough of a scoop, where as dropping it another one notch is just way too much.  Same goes for bass treble and presence.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #63 on: Time Format »

I always found that the original mp-1 needed some sort of mid boost for higher gain settings to get a tight sound.The 3TM doesn't need this at all.

El Chiguete

« Reply #64 on: Time Format »

I always found that the original mp-1 needed some sort of mid boost for higher gain settings to get a tight sound.

What freqs are you talking about exactly? I want to try it out,
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #65 on: Time Format »

I always found that the original mp-1 needed some sort of mid boost for higher gain settings to get a tight sound.

What freqs are you talking about exactly? I want to try it out,

The classic TS and all its derivates and reincarnations generally are centered somewhere along the 660-720Hz range.
Try out one of the OD blocks from the MPX-G2 and set it in the FX chain before the Insert (MP-1)
I personally like the "Crunch" one in the MPX-G2 best.
If you keep the normal TS controls in mind (Drive, Tone, Level), try something around
- Drive 9 o'clock
- Tone 10-11 o'clock
- Level 2 o'clock

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #66 on: Time Format »

I always found that the original mp-1 needed some sort of mid boost for higher gain settings to get a tight sound.The 3TM doesn't need this at all.

Yes agreed on 3TM!  As you say the 3TM has the extra built in. 

Lets be clear, for me I find there is enough gain in stock MP1, may be they aren't all like my MP1 but it seems gainey enough for me. But it's perhaps not tight enough for the thrashy stuff as I say.  But easily solved with a dirt box or EQ at the front.  Just a question of managing everything so I don't get even more noise and uncontrollable feedback.

MJMP you know I considered changing my stock MP1 to a 3tm (you may remember me saying before).  But I asked your advice and also my own thoughts and we arrived at the conclusion that perhaps keeping a stock MP1 would be nice also.  And I am glad of this so I have one of each kind.  And it is no trouble at all placing a pedal from my MFX infront of the MP1 at all.  But I guess it will require careful setting up so both work in tandem with one another.

When you used to place a pedal in front (I don't know if you do this anymore since you are 3TM whore  :lol:) what typical setting with the gain would you have on the MP1?

Anyone else has experience with adding a pedal please tell me you settings also, not the settings of the actual pedal in front but what the MP1 was set at itself.  Good to have extra knowledge.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #67 on: Time Format »

Well in the early 90's i used a boss GE-7 in front of my original mp-1.Just a reversed smiley setting.It worked great but it had one downside and that was the clean sounds sounded too mid.And it ads quite a bit of extra noise.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #68 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, here are some settings I use:
OD1.     OD2.     MG.    B.     M.     T.    P.     Depth.   Rate
 4.            5.5.       7.5.   12.     6.     6.   12.       20.      0.5
 4.            5.5.       7.5.    9.       4.     6.     8.       30.      0.1
 7.              5.         7.      12.     -6.    9.     6.        74.     0.1
 5.              5.         6.5.    6.       8.      6.    4.       20.     1.7
 6.5.         7.5.       8.       9.       -8.     0.    10.      0.        0

These with a GE7+ SD1 or GE7 + TS9 into front of MP1.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Soloist

« Reply #69 on: Time Format »

Well in the early 90's i used a boss GE-7 in front of my original mp-1.Just a reversed smiley setting.It worked great but it had one downside and that was the clean sounds sounded too mid.And it ads quite a bit of extra noise.

That's what I use, however my GE 7 has the noise mod. Quiet as can be :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #70 on: Time Format »

Even though I have an EQ I could use for the front I don't think I would. 

I have this pedal, yes it's chinese and it's excellent.  Solid metal and great sound in my opinion.  The price is not to be snubbed as it beats the plastic behringer pedals (although they sound ok do their pedals since they're boss clones)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biyang-EQ7-Graphic-Pedal-Guitar/dp/B001U2DGUI

I'd much rather use some form of drive.  Like the OD i use in front which I guess is boss OD-1 (I say I guess because it's a drive module on my GT5 which are all analogue as often point out on here).

This provided the mids and other goodness that can't be explained lol  I like to call it the "extra layer".

Hey solist thanks for those settings.  So all those settings are compatible with a pedal of some form or another boosting from the front?  Great I can't wait to use them.

Do you find those settings then with the pedal provide proper hi gain?

Soloist

« Reply #71 on: Time Format »

Yes all settings used with pedals. I also use my rocktron pro q and the 3 band parametric eq in my gm2 to further shape the tone, but those will get you in the ballpark :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #72 on: Time Format »

Well for tube heads i prefer an overdrive pedal but for the mp-1 an EQ sounds better.BTW that looks like a GE-7 clone,it's gone exactly the same freq's.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #73 on: Time Format »

Oh yeah for sure it is a clone, you know what Chinese market is like MJMP.  However its half the f**king price!  And I know pedals construction.  It's solid, and has solid jacks and slider are sweat.  Sure that type can break off but so can the boss sliders.

EQ better in front of MP1 you say?  You know you've made me curious?   :o  I shall try. 

Although I do think that Boss OD works well, honest!!  no drive added really, minimal setting and then about 50 on the level.

Soloist

« Reply #74 on: Time Format »

I agree the Boss OD really adds some character to the tone, the tube screamer is more for a lead boost. Here is a pic of my eq and boss od settings. **Note the low drive level on the od, where as the TS9 drive is at 50% **
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up