• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Main Menu

Herby's attemt @ SS Mod, Noise Mod, MDRT Mod

Started by herbyguitar, October 20, 2017, 09:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iperfungus

In the meanwhile, I've 2 560K resistors and MJMP confirmed that 560K is a good value to replace R17.  :headbanger:

About internal OD1 and OD2 trimpots, they are set to 0 already on my MP1 and:

1) there's plenty of gain anyway
2) the squeal issue is still present

As MikeB already did, another test on the third MP-1 with this issue could be a good thing.
Also verify what happens to the squeal with your high gain settings when lowering Output Level pot.
On the run again!

MikeB

I haven't looked at my trim pots yet. But,  I have enjoyed playing with od1 and od2 on 10 by turning down the output volume.  :headbanger:
I don't feel tardy!

herbyguitar

Lowering the output volume does tame the beast quite a bit.
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

Iperfungus

Quote from: herbyguitar on May 03, 2018, 05:14:55 PM
Lowering the output volume does tame the beast quite a bit.

Try this:

1) set OD1 and OD2 trimpots to lower value
2) create a patch with (very) high gain settings
3) lower Ouput Level pot untile the Beast is 100% quiet

Does it work for you as well?  :lol:
On the run again!

Iperfungus

Quote from: MikeB on May 03, 2018, 01:56:01 PM
I haven't looked at my trim pots yet. But,  I have enjoyed playing with od1 and od2 on 10 by turning down the output volume.  :headbanger:

Me too!  :thumb-up:

But I'm going to replace R17 and see...  >:D
Furthermore, as soon as he will have some MDRT again, MJMP could help us more.

Where/how do you set Ouput volume pot with OD1 = OD2 = MG = 10.0???  :lol:
It should be around 9 'o clock or less....isn't it?
Or no more than that...
And how do you set the overall EQ?

Maybe we could agree about a test setting for our MP-1s and see if all of the units behave the same...
On the run again!

herbyguitar

Tested the MP1 with OD1 and OD2 trim pots all the way down. Squeal is gone, but I still have a lot of hiss at high gain past 6. Plenty of gain on tap. Turning the pots counter clockwise turns them down, correct? Any thoughts?

rnolan

Quote from: MikeB on May 03, 2018, 01:56:01 PMI haven't looked at my trim pots yet. But,  I have enjoyed playing with od1 and od2 on 10 by turning down the output volume.  :headbanger:
But then turning up the TC GMaj2 outs to compensate,  Mike has gone back to Woodstock era, howls and squeals  :whoohoo!: how to tame all that gain... I love it, and good to hear (for me).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

A couple of notes on the G Major 2:
To tame the hiss on heavy distorted tones use the hard gate. For medium distortion use the soft gate. Also if you haven't tried this yet go into the g majors i/o and switch the input ring between pro to consumer, it changes the input sensativity. I believe pro is +4 db and consumer is -10 db. Also change the output ring consumer should be 20 db and pro should be 8 db. This gives an equal output level. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

herbyguitar

This conversation has completely lost me. What is Gmag2? There is no gate on the MP1. I'm totally confused...

Soloist

G major 2 is a multi effects rack unit made by T.C. Electronics. Sorry didn't mean to lose you. My reply was for Richard.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

MikeB

Hi Herby,
I use a  tc-electronic g major 2 and Max uses a  g major.  It has an input level that I used to need to turn down to cope with the output from the mp1.   Now that I have reduced the output of the mp1,  I can increase the input level on the gmajor2.   With both ODs on 10, the feedback is wild.  I'm going to have to try using the gate on the g major2.   

I haven't yet looked at my trim pots, but there is no opportunity to hear a hiss at these levels because the feedback is drowning that right out. When I get a chance, I'll do some more experimentation.
Mike
I don't feel tardy!

herbyguitar

Ah, thanks for the details Mike. I'm running straight into a Mesa 2 fifty. I'm going to hook up my 1101 and see what the gate can do for me.

@Soloist : If I'd have looked at your sig I would have figured it out   :facepalm:

Soloist

Hi Herby, I tried the 1101 with the mp1. I didn't like it, tone sucks horribly.  I also run into a 50/50 it sounds awesome.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

herbyguitar

How did you run it? How did you set it up?

Soloist

I tried both set ups, #6 and #7 in the manual. Both 4 cable methods. The effects sounded good but it smoothers the tone of the mp1. I found with the Mp1 it needs an effects unit like the g major2 or g force or something similar to really make it shine.  A BBE sonic maximizer just before the 50/50 also helps if your looking for that 80's tone. :metal:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11