ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MP-2 editor  (Read 18448 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: ADA MP-2 editor
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Ok, does the display show all the current settings ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I'm running El Capitan (OSX 10.11.6), using Bootcamp

Hang on, I'm bootlegging a copy of Parallels to see if that's any easier. Parallels is a no go, so I used VMWare Fusion. I can start my PC that way, but it's no different from the Bootcamp install. I am going to find my Windows disk and try to install a copy on an external hard drive with more space than my internal hard drive.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

In case of the mp-1 and the classic, yes that should be possible, the mp-2 will be too much.

My goal is to make it as simple and cheap as possible ,like in the 20-30 euro range.
An arduino, a I2C 20x4 LCD display, 2 rotary encoders and a few buttons.And of course 2 midi connectors.

valdiorn

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey guys.
I'm the developer of the editor. Never got around to actually posting this here, apologies :)

Anyway, I'm working on a couple of improvements, and will try to make another version for the MP1 at some point, although please don't hold your breath in anticipation.
I tend to flip-flop between my side projects, right now I'm working on a VST guitar preamplifier, but I'll try to find a couple of spare days to work on the editor some more :)

In the meantime, hope you find it useful, don't be shy to contact me if you have any issues or if you find bugs, I'll do my best to fix them.

Regarding compatibility; I need to add a section on that in the documentation. It requires .NET Framework 4.5 (most users on windows 7 or never will already have this, and if not you can upgrade via Windows Update) and it is Windows only - sorry Mac users :( I work with .NET and WPF (which is used to build the GUI) all day long, I was able to build this very quickly because I am so familiar with the toolset, but unfortunately WPF is very tied to Windows.

The one bonus is that I've documented the sysex format pretty well, there's an Excel sheet in the Gitub repo (https://github.com/ValdemarOrn/Mp2Editor) that has everything you need to build a cross-platform editor, if someone else wants to give it a go on Mac or cross-platform
« Last Edit: Time Format by valdiorn »

vansinn

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Yo valdiorn, welcome in here!
Great work you did on the editor, and the docs on the file layout.

Would it be possible to abusively manipulate you to:
* include the Wah settings? You know, some of use the Wah for things like touch/triggered wah or auto wah..
* add the System settings in the editor. There's a lot of sexy stuff in there for redefining how certain things works
* setting up MIDI CC pedal-control of the shelving/scooping of the 9-band EQ
* moving presets around (time consuming from the front panel)
* setting up MIDI linking of presets.
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

Griphook

• Less is more? More is more!
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Wow :bow:

Way better than my approach. I could send you my project-files from the MP-1 Editor. Maybe this would be helpful for your MP1 Editor.

EDI: Nevermind. I should read/watch the Readme first :facepalm:

Awesome SysEx-Documentation btw :)
Maybe we can sum this up to one big pdf-File?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Griphook »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey Valdiorn, you made it finally  :thumb-up: , I saw GuitarBuilder was posting to the github, he lurks here from time to time LoL.
Thanks for the editor, I suspect you may get a few requests for additional functionality here.  The ones Van has suggested would be good. And maybe a way to build new macros ? (not sure how the inbuilt macros are stored, probably in the EPROM ?
Be nice if it evolved to handle MP1, MB1 and MP1 Classic (big wish list I know...)
Feel free to post updates and doco here.  I'll set you up a board  to post to if you're up for it.

Cheers R

vansinn

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

...And maybe a way to build new macros ? (not sure how the inbuilt macros are stored, probably in the EPROM ?

Nope, can't be done, as there's no code in the MP-2 firmware for defining new macros.
Those are code in the eprom (like all other code), with the selected settings stored in volatile memory, i.e. the battery backed-up static RAM.
The only way to add more macros would be to have the actual source code..

Of course, code can be reverse engineered, but I'm pretty sure the MP-2 (and the others) were coded in assembly, and if anyone has ever tried their luck with rev.eng assembly, then Schönes Glück with that, because.. first step would simply result in a long listing of CPU-specific mnemonics - but with no comments, from which all will need to be poked and commented. Painful, very painful, unless you're seasoned in it ;)
I could do it, but it's been a loooong while since I worked in 8080/8085/8031/8051/Z80 assembly. Think I sold my assy reference books in 1983 or so.. Ahh, nope, was in 1986 (pfew, almost lost a stack pointer).
Besides this, an external developments board would be needed, onto which the EPROM would be placed, with cables to/fro the hardware under development; all to allow patching parameters and single step instructions, think you've found the culprit, place breakpoints, execute until break, nope, not here, so keep hunting, and such.
Real fun doing, it's not that. I used to debug code for 8" floppy drives on the CPm OS, doing head engage, seek, read data, head disengage, and such. Real fun :facepalm: :lol:

Stop giving me those flashbacks, folks. It's enough that my memories got sold when Angel became a center fold, but having  to go peek'n'poke and dereference those old memory lane structures, locate the breakpoints, and find my way back home is quite beyond my capacity.
Soon I'll need to listen to the Tubes "Come fly with me" and see flashes of Re Styles before my hurting eyes again. Sheez kebab..
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

Griphook

• Less is more? More is more!
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Hey Valdiorn,

How about these things?
  • Make the Values scrollable. I think currently the whole mouse has to be moved
  • Make the Buttons lock to the Values, so that one can't set the button in between of the both Noise-Reduction-Modes
  • A Button to save a whole dump to File
I love the Auto-Update Function!

Do you have any idea, why the saving  of the preset does not work with the programm?

vansinn

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

• Make the Values scrollable. I think currently the whole mouse has to be moved

Indeed. Methinks this could be done simply with MouseOver, and then read MouseWheel (whatever those classes are really named).
Ahh, the life of a programmer. Give 'em some code, and they'll behave like the crocodile wanting the whole arm ;)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Come on Van, Z80 assembler isn't that hard LoL, though IIRC one line jump subroutine command in 68000 assembler = 16 lines in Z80  :facepalm: .  Maybe Mike and I could have a shot at it, we had fun at Uni emulating a Z80 in Pascal (when we did opp systems I think  :dunno: ), Somewhere in my pile of stuff I may even have the Z80 instruction set. It's fiddly but I kind of like assembler.  We also had to program the microcode, now that was real fun  :whoohoo!: . (albeit 1990-91).

Rawk777

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Hi Valdiorn,

Thanks a lot for the editor, it makes it much easier to work on the MP2 :)

Here is a few ideas that could be useful:

UI:
- EQ display as a graphic EQ... Would it be complicated to have sliders instead of rotary buttons? It would be easier to visualise.
- Drop-down menu for non-digit parameters like Voicings, noise reduction mode, tremolo waveform, wah filter mode and waverform.
- ***Like Griphook said, it might be nice to have notches on rotary knob that are not 0-100 (like tone control), but drop-down menus or toggle switches might be more usefull on non digit parameters.

Program management:
- Bulk load of the program names, and a list with the names and numbers to shuffle between the stored programs.
- Bulk load/dump to backup the entire MP2.

Question:
- There is no way to save the programs with the editor, without having to touch the mp2?

Thanks again for the editor. Even at v.01, its one of the most stable and useful editors for midi devices I've tried :) .

drexuz

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hi Vladiorn,

Thanks for the editor - the only time I've come in contact with my MP-2 again :)

Looking at the source code now - I hope you don't mind on few asks.

« Last Edit: Time Format by drexuz »

onedge custom

« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

In case of the mp-1 and the classic, yes that should be possible, the mp-2 will be too much.

My goal is to make it as simple and cheap as possible ,like in the 20-30 euro range.
An arduino, a I2C 20x4 LCD display, 2 rotary encoders and a few buttons.And of course 2 midi connectors.

Did this ever come off?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Nope, I did work on it a bit but I just don't have the time to finish it (story of my life  :D ).

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up