ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropping a Duncan Hotrail into a Fernandes tele, mounting screw issue  (Read 4488 times)

Richie_B

Hey guys, This is a tricky one. I have a Fernandes TEJ, it's a tele style guitar. It came with two single coils that are mounted on the top with no scratch plate or tele bridge setup. The problem is that the mounting screws that came with the Hotrail are designed for a strat style scratch plate. The screws from the original pickup are the wrong thread and size. Does anyone know what size these Hotrail screws are because i am thinking that I will just get one size down and let them drop through the holes like on the old pickup and screw it to the body.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Richie_B »
Guitars: Fernandes ST 40, FST 125, Fernandes TEJ LTD ED and a Vortex. Chapman ML3 Pro Modern.

ADA MP1, ENGL E530, ENGL 840/50 Power amp, Carvin X100B, 2X12 cab.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Richie, I'm not sure of the screw size you need but your approach is the way to go.  I put a hot rails (same as yours) in the neck spot on my tele (too hot for there so now has an Ultrasonic).  I had the same issue, but it turned out that the original PU screws slipped through the HR threaded holes perfectly.  So you could take the PU to either the hardware shop and see if you can find some screws the right size (a hassle though as they all come in sealed plastic b*mb resistant plastic packs...), or try the local music store that also does guitar stuff, their tech should have some screws lying around from other PU swaps that should fit.  The older style PU screws were thinner.. If you decide to do a series/parallel or split coil wiring, having done this recently with my Squire Strat upgrade, I'd recommend you use a touch pot (not sure quite what they are called) rather than a pull-up/down switching pot.  With the touch pots you press it down to switch either way, I used the pull-up pots coz I didn't know about these other ones at the time.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

They're called push-push pots
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Cool, thanks Harley  :thumb-up: , definitely a better idea than the push me pull you particularly on the strat, not allot of room between the pots to grab them.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Richard,

There's plenty of room on a Strat, but you have to replace the stock knobs. They are hard to pull up on with push-pull pots. Knurled Tele style knobs work for that.
      The push-push pots are what I have in mind for the Showmaster I'm planning to modify. It's going to be a complicated little setup with two push-push pots for in and out of phase, plus a rotary two-way switch for alternate wiring between the three Burns pickups.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Richie_B

Will go get the mounting screws tomorrow, and the push-push pot sounds like a great idea, will have to find them. While I'm here, I am thinking i need to replace some of the wiring. Any suggestions on what I can use, I am hoping I can just walk into a store and buy it instead of ordering online.
Guitars: Fernandes ST 40, FST 125, Fernandes TEJ LTD ED and a Vortex. Chapman ML3 Pro Modern.

ADA MP1, ENGL E530, ENGL 840/50 Power amp, Carvin X100B, 2X12 cab.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Harley, good advice re knobs, I just put the originals back on. So I replaced the vol and 1st tone pot with the pull up pots (they do vol and series/parallel for bridge and neck PUs) and the 2nd tone pot does overall tone and is the original pot but I used much lower cap values so the tone control is much more subtle.  Pulling up down the vol pot (bridge vol pot) is ok but the middle one (neck vol pot) isn't easy to get to. Also the neck is wired out of phase and I used a super switch (expensive puppies ($60)) wired b, b+m, b+n, m+n, n. Middle PU is what it came with screwed as low as I could get it to keep it out of the way of where I pick. A really neat, easy and effective wiring is like on my Anderson, so each (2 coil PU (3 PUs)) has it's own 3 way mini switch. Down is series, middle is off, and up is parallel so you can get any combination of those.

Hey Richie, you can no doubt get the push push online or buy one from the music shop. Deluxe guitars in Melbourne should either have them or can get them for you (seem like nice people, I bought my Peterson Strobo clip tuner from them, fantastic tuner BTW, best $75 I ever spent). You can buy some wire from Jacar, get some the same size as what comes from the PUs.  You can cut some off the PU you take out and use that (I did that when I did the Squire wiring), or strip an old mic lead (preferably 2 core shielded as then you get 2 colours LoL) and extract the core wire, I've also done that a few times.  You won't need much, just a couple of very shot bits for the switch jumpers.  You can also cut a bit off the HR lead (4 cores  :thumb-up: ), It's quite long (made it from the neck PU cavity to the controls (just) when I did it) otherwise you have to coil it up and stuff it into the cavity around the pots.  For the rest the wiring that's there already will be fine, though you may need a short bit (or 2) max 3" long probably.
Pages: [1]   Go Up