ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adding chorus wet only outputs?  (Read 6935 times)

El Chiguete

adding chorus wet only outputs?
« on: Time Format »

I was thinking on how I was going to wire together my W/D stereo rig mixed together in a stereo mixer and I just realized that in my initial for the the wet side I was going to run the stereo outputs of the MP-1 to my effects processor and use those effects with no dry signal BUT the problem is that for example if I run the chorus of the MP-1 in to a delay THAT chorus will only come on the delay repeats... so should I not use the effects with the dry off or what?

Then I was thinking has anyone tried to add outputs for the wet only effect of the chorus in the MP-1? that way I could run that in to the mixer like a pedal with the wet only output.

Don't know... maybe I'm just going crazy because I need to fix my poweramp to run my rig together and I'm just thinking of different scenarios that might happend  :dunno:.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: adding chorus wet only outputs?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

What is the second amp? You need two amps for a wet/dry. Set up one with your chorus, the second dry and add a delay after the mixer to delay the combined signal. At least that's how I understand it. However I have been wrong before :)
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Also if you want to go stereo you need a wet/dry/wet setup with 3 amps and speakers.

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Also if you want to go stereo you need a wet/dry/wet setup with 3 amps and speakers.

Not if you add a mixer like a RJM Mini Line Mixer that you can mix a dry signal with the stereo wets, that way you only need a stereo poweramp and only 2 speakers.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

El Chiguete

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

What is the second amp? You need two amps for a wet/dry...

The second amp will be a stereo transparent poweamp.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Unless you want a completely separate dry amp/cab (which I've done before (see other posts)), using a mixer IS a wet/dry scenario.  My dry MP2 (well not entirely I spose it sometimes has chorus, or wah) goes into chan 1&2 pan hard L/R, Aux send 1&2 to QV L/R, QV out L/R (full wet) into chan 3&4 again pan hard L/R (so there's the wet mix), Aux send 3 to IPS33, IPS outs into 5&6 again pan hard L/R and send to QV via sends 1&2, desk main outs to poweramp.
With this setup though, I get additional dry output when the IPS is on bypass as the bypass lets the direct sound through which goes both to the main mix and QV.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Not if you add a mixer like a RJM Mini Line Mixer that you can mix a dry signal with the stereo wets, that way you only need a stereo poweramp and only 2 speakers.

Correct me if i'm wrong but that's not a wet/dry setup IMO.For me is this one amp with the dry signal and the other one only effects.What you want to do is mix the signals like a normal stereo setup but use an external mixer and not the mixer in the effect unit.Or it could be i'm  :crazy:  :))

El Chiguete

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Correct me if i'm wrong but that's not a wet/dry setup IMO.For me is this one amp with the dry signal and the other one only effects.What you want to do is mix the signals like a normal stereo setup but use an external mixer and not the mixer in the effect unit.Or it could be i'm  :crazy:  :))

Jaja well its kind of both... let me explain: if you run a W/D setup with independent speakers for the wet and the dry you are at the mercy of the soundguy in a live show to set the levels right for the W and the D, so by mixing it first with the external mixer you can set up those levels and then help the super genius soundguy so he don't f*ck up your sound! Also the idea behind the external mixer is to keep things analog (specially the DRY part) and not mix with the effect unit because then the dry tone will go thru AD/DA converters.

think of this as a W/D setup th

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey El, To be pedantic, I think MJMP is correct, although I get your point about the sound guy (however, being one myself I can get the levels right LOL).
There are many ways to combine your gear to different ends/tone/sound. IMO preserving analogue is a high priority, but it's not the be all/end all as SC points out, depends what you have and what you want. Again I reiterate that one of the attractions to a wet/dry kind of set up is to make the balance and gain structure easier to control, but that's if you are using the same preamp for the wet and dry feeds (which seems to be one version of wet/dry). My initial experiments with this idea came from wanting to run all my stuff together, this was back when I was transitioning between '72 Marshall and MP1. So I'd run the Marshall dry mono in the middle and split stacks either side which were stereo MP1 mixed with FXs, so a hybrid I spose. It sounded great but very loud  >:D . And in this case, I wanted to keep the Marshall tone (which I'd been using for many years) in the mix. I tried the Marshall a little while ago, coz it's there and rarely gets used these days, it's pretty ordinary compared to MP1/2. Although using its poweramp stage like MJMP does is a good idea.
At some point when I get keen to move some furniture, I'll set up my 3 split stacks stereo MP2 with FX hard L/R and Marshall dry mono in the middle. I need to get some mic stands back from the coast so I can mic it and do a sound bight to post. I'll go Rode NT5s L/R and a Rode NT1 on the centre cab (and maybe throw in the EV RE20).

El Chiguete

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

This is a CRAZY idea... but could one use one channel on a mixer for the dry signal with from the preamp and then on the other channel add a EQ in the mix??? That way what gets added in EQ (for example adding bass to the MP-1 bass lacking tone) will be like a "wet" part of an effect to get mixed in to the original signal?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey El, one thing about crazy ideas is they help your overall understanding of how things work. There are lots of ways you can rout signals with a mixer, the possibilities are limited by the mixer you have. More expensive desks generally have more options/features.

Your idea is easier with mono input channels. e.g. make ch 1 MP1 A, ch 2 MP1 B, pan ch1 L and ch2 R either use ch2 insert (if your desk has ch inserts) for send rtn of eg (or any mono effect), now desk main L is dry and R is eqed/wet, although eq isn't usually referred to as wet, wet generally refers to other FX (mostly time based FX (pitch/chorus/flange/phase, delay, reverb)). In this setup you could use ch2 FX send(s) to eq/FX etc, return them in mono into other channels (3,4,5 etc) and pan the returns R. Again you end up with L dry and R wet. Other ways to do it is by using sub groups (again if you have them), you can use the subgroup outs directly or assign them to L R main as required. Some desks have inserts on the sub groups (so eq or FX can be applied there), some desks have inserts on the main outs (this is the most common place to insert eq for live PA). Channel inserts are more commonly used for additional eq (snare/kick) or gates (for drums), compressor for vox or bass, or you can change the insert lead wiring slightly and use them for a direct out (as direct outs aren't as common on smaller desks).

In case your not familiar with inserts, channel insert points are a stereo jack just after the input gain. Insert leads are stereo jack (tip ring sleeve TRS) to 2 mono jacks (TS). the send is usually the tip and return the ring, earth (sleeve) is common to all. So the insert lead breaks the signal path, the jack connected to the tip goes to eq/FX etc input and jack connected to ring the output (so now the device is inserted in the channel signal path).  If you wire the TRS jack so Tip and Ring are wired together and use 1 mono jack (so mono jack tip is connected to either tip or ring) you can use the insert point as a direct output (e.g. plug into recording input).  Because tip and ring in TRS jack are wired together, it doesn't break the signal path.
Pages: [1]   Go Up