ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 Classic versus MP-2  (Read 14525 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP-1 Classic versus MP-2
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Ahh Dante you havin all the fun  :thumb-up: enjoy my friend  ;)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Just when I thought the Classic was winning the race, I have begun programming some 'direct' patches for my MP-2

:amaze:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

And may the best preamp win... :facepalm:   you may need to expand the rack my friend and include the MP2 (we need a MP3 with all the options...)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but it's time for an update.

I've been using the MP-2 with the GX-700 in a small, 2u rack into my Boogie combo for the last year or so. I have gotten my patches very refined (finally) and have a bank of patches for each guitar, enough for 12 guitars to have 10 patches each :thumb-up:

So, I was experiencing some weirdness at a gig a few weeks ago. It quickly remedied itself when I cycled the power of the units in the rack, so i figured it was because of the heat (we were outside, it was near 100 degrees F). Well, it happened again at practice and I couldn't get it to stop. The effects unit (Boss) was switching effects on/off, cycling through patches, stopping for a second and doing it all again. It was horrendous and unusable. I ended up turning it off for practice and programmed 4 quick patches to get me through the rehearsal.

Before yanking the effects device out of the rack and swapping it with the backup unit, I just tried the midi cable from the other unit. It was fine, I suspect the cable is bad, so i bought another one, and so far have not seen the problem come back.

Since I had the other rig out of storage, I hooked it up and played through the MP-1 Classic for a change. GOD, I love the sound of this thing! It cuts through the mix like a cleave without a hint of screeching or fizzing (unless you want it that way, it'll go there). I love how easy it is to set up or edit a patch, compared to the endless button mashing of the MP-2 (i wish somebody had an editor program for that unit). The tones are more than fantastic, they are dynamic. I have a wider range of sounds (believe it or not) using only the three voicings in the MP-1 Classic. I don't get it, but it is super 'variable' in it's range. Picking attack is a breeze, which takes a bit of effort with the MP-2.

I'm totally on the MP-1 Classic train now. I'm digging everything about it, it's a joy to operate and to hear. I'm smitten  :-*

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, well bad and good news, hopefully it's just the midi cable, how was the power supply though ? my MP2 was crapping out regularly when running on a generator, screen would go weird and I have to power cycle it, this was really annoying when I was in the middle of a solo. So I bought a 1KVA UPS and that has worked.

There were posts on the old depot from a guy who started to develop a PC editor for the MP2, he started but then nothing.... unfortunately.  I plan to develop a MP2 editor with a mate who's experienced with sysex, just need to find the time amongst his "many" projects. See how we go, I mentioned the idea to him and he was keen but he's a very busy boy with his job and 2 kids.

Glad your enjoying the Classic, I just use 3 patches with my MP2 these days, great tones and nice and simple (quite the antithesis of how I ran my MP1 way back when I had patches for each song and a foolscap bit of cardboard with the numbers written big so I could see them on stage  :facepalm: ).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up