ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: so I had to visit the clinic ...  (Read 6218 times)

DorsetRatt

so I had to visit the clinic ...
« on: Time Format »

... but in a good way!!!

I couldn't believe my luck, Andy Timmons was holding a guitar clinic last night, just 2 miles from my front door.

Small venue, maybe 50 or so people attended ... so really up close and personal. He played a number of songs to begin with, followed by a Q and A session, and then another handful of songs to finish up with (about 2 hours in all). What an amazing guitar player, and a really nice bloke too ... good sense of humour.

I was sat three rows back, so in theory I should have been able to see everything ... in practice, there was a bloke sat in front of me in row 2 with an unfeasibly large f**kin head!!! Ok, rant over with ...

The Q and A session was very interesting, Andy Timmons did talk a lot ... at one point he was discussing Eric Johnson and Yngwie Malmsteen, and made a reference to "Cracking The Code" which was something that he had been watching, and found very useful. I think it's a series of videos that explains economy picking techniques, I'll have to check this out.

He also talked about the amp he was using (Mesa Lone Star) and his current pedal board. He was only using the clean channel of the amp, with chorus/delay in the fx loop. The majority of the tone is generated from the front end pedals ... which he prefers over the lead channel. I was so impressed with his tone, it sounded awesome.

I must admit ... it was a very inspirational night, and I really enjoyed it, many thanks to Andy Timmons!!!
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

El Chiguete

Re: so I had to visit the clinic ...
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

No picture of the clinic or the pedalboard??? Then why did you go???  :facepalm: :crazy: :dunno:

Jeje anyway must had been a cool experience, wish stuff like that came here, we only get latin or jazz clinics and Im not in to that jeje  :nono: :metal:
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

DorsetRatt

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

haha ... not a single picture taken, due to the potato shaped obstacle in row 2 :facepalm:

From what I can remember ...

Pedal board: GigRig
Front loading pedals: Carl Martin Compressor, Boss Blues Driver (Keeley), JHS Angry Charlie

I was expecting to see an Xotic BB Preamp, but no sign of it anymore.

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

So he's really only using the amp as a poweramp, all the tones are in the pedals, just like an MP1/2 but probably not as good or as versatile ? Anyway many ways to to do it, whatever works for you ! :thumb-up: Hey not to poo poo his great playing...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Sounds really good Dorset, I hope you got a lot from it as I did about one and a half years ago with Steve Vai workshop Q & A.
That was amazing to see Steve in front of 200 hundred axe players, and the gig/hall was only about 50 meters up the street from where I live.  :)   

Apart from his genius guitar playing,,    What a cool nice guy too about everthing in life.   :) 

DorsetRatt

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Thanks Rusty ... that Steve Via workshop sounds just as interesting, wish I'd been there :)

These workshops rarely (if ever) happen in my sleepy part of Dorset ... but apparently I did miss a Paul Gilbert workshop a few years ago.

Who would I really be interested in seeing? Well, a George Lynch workshop would be soooo cool :thumb-up:

DorsetRatt

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I've been watching the videos for "Cracking The Code" this week ... actually, I've watched them several times over :thumb-up:

It's all about picking mechanics, but Troy Grady explains it in a very good way, and with Season 2 his breakdown of Malmsteen's picking technique is just so detailed ... and explains how he's able to pick in such a fluid way when crossing from string to string with ascending and descending note runs.

I've learnt something this week ... after 30+ years of trying to alternate pick, and getting caught out by the difficulties of inside picking between strings, I now know that I don't have to do it that way.

:whoohoo!: :whoohoo!: :whoohoo!:

Season 2, Episode 1

Season 2, Episode 2
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Have a look for Frank Gambale "sweep" picking, much the same idea i suspect.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Thanks Richard, good idea :thumb-up:

My younger years were consumed with the Paul Gilbert, George Lynch and Malmsteen videos ... I never considered Frank Gambale :facepalm:

I've just watched the start of his Monster Licks video, and he does mention his picking technique and how he arranges his scales, so I'll have to find time to watch the rest of this properly.

EDIT: ok, I've watched it all now ... yes, quite a similar approach. Richard, did you watch the Troy Grady videos?
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, no I haven't seen them yet, just having time to do some Admin here and answer post at the moment, but I'll have a look, got some other stuff to listen to as well (e.g. GRs pickup recordings).

The basis of the Frank Gambale speed (sweep) picking method is to have 3 notes per string to go up or down and 4 notes to turn around.  So you pick down up down down (on next string) so one movement for 2 notes and to change string and then up down up up (on next string) to go down the scale.
Pages: [1]   Go Up