ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jackson JX3  (Read 7718 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Jackson JX3
« on: Time Format »

Jackson JX3 preamp, anyone here ever tried one of these?
From what I can tell they were made for Jackson by Laney, 2 channel non midi controllable. However I can use the relay in my G major 2 for changing channels and activating the boost function. Picked one up real cheap, should have it in a day or so. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with one.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Jackson JX3
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Soloist, never came across them myself, seems ok from the couple of youtube clips I watched.  Be interesting to hear what you think when you get it up and going.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ok Richard, I picked up the Jackson preamp today and ran it through my rig for a couple hours.  :headbanger:

First a little description:
2 channel each with independent tone controls and levels.
Stereo master line outs and stereo cab sim line outs.
Fx loop, mono in stereo out.
Bright switch and a boost switch they call a shred switch, with a second gain knob.
Dual 12ax7 tubes.
2 additional rear jacks, one for channel switching the other to engage the boost function.

Preliminary findings:
The clean channel (channel A) is a very nice clean channel.
Can get a nice low gain tone ala David Gilmour by pushing it with either a Boss SD1 or an Ibanez Tube Screammer.
Channel B is your typical 80's metal tone ala Glenn Tipton. Good bite to it, really makes pinch harmonics jump out at you.
Distortion isn't really that adjustable. No real difference from 6 to 10. The shred button also has a gain knob. To me it doesn't really add more gain but it adds some more saturation to it, plus about a 5db boost.
So far it seems like a decent preamp especially for $50. It was well taken care of, clean as a whistle with 2 new Stovek tubes in it.Do I like it better than my Mp1...no. Do I like it better than my Mp2....no. I would say it's as good as my JMP1.

Short comings:
Tone controls are kinda limited imo. I would like more adjustment but an eq helps get what I want.
Not impressed with the fx loop. Luckily I don't need it fx run through the loop in my rack mixer.
Kind of a 2 trick pony due to the lack of super high gain.
With bright switch off to me it's too dark on either channel.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 7. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Soloist, good to know  :wave: .  Listening to a couple YT clips demoing it I had some similar reactions (not that they were very thorough)  but as you say, not a bad score for $50 (which is close to what 2 Sovtecs would cost LoL). One clip I listened to played a little clean stuff which I thought was quite a decent clean sound.  And the pinch squeals were nice and prominent (as you say, jump out at you) particularly on the other clip.

Thanks for the heads up  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Nice I always thought these where solid state preamps?

Soloist

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Nice I always thought these where solid state preamps?
I belive it mostly is,  the same way the JMP1 is. Tubes add some sizzle and warmth to it. However I think the JMP is more flexible.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

@ Soloist

I could get a good deal on one of these at the moment, is it recommended man or what?
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Soloist

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Yes that is the one that I have/had. It's not a high gain preamp and a bit too muddy for me. More like a mid gain. I can get heavier tones with my stock MP1. I ended up selling it and picking up a radial engineering tone bone hot british.  Amp in a pedal, classic 80's metal tone. I now use that to boost my MP1 into mega saturation.
I know the tones you like, unfortunately that jackson pre won't cut it. Your rock master and Mp1 will do a far better job. I would say save your coin for something better. Just my 2 cents.
BTW, when I used it, it was with my MT200 power amp, didn't get a chance to try it with my Mesa boogie 50/50. So it might have more growl with a tube power amp. To me it sounded more pop 80's than metal 80's.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Thanks man, you saved me some cash  8)

I thought that thing had metal written all over it.......................I guess not.  That's shred button is very misleading.

Ok so more gain with stock MP1, no prob's I'll leave it then.  I love my MP1s.  Back using a Rockmaster though in my home studio currently.  I chop and change, you know how it is  :thumb-up:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010
Pages: [1]   Go Up