ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small mixer to run stuff in parallel  (Read 5351 times)

El Chiguete

Small mixer to run stuff in parallel
« on: Time Format »

Im finally allmost finishing my "dream" rig and now is time to get a small mixer to run stuff in parallel, so should I just go for the RJM Mini Line Mixer (what I think is the artist standard for this) or does the ART SPLITMix4 does the same job???

BTW just to over explain things, I will run the MP-1 as the dry signal and then use my Lexicon MPX G-2 post preamp effects full wet in to the mixer/
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Small mixer to run stuff in parallel
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Go El, good decision IMHO. I haven't studied the RJM Mini Line Mixer I checked out a few pics, looks interesting (and is powered), ART is passive and you loose a little gain but works well. I've allays gone down the "proper" small mixer direction, and used the fx/aux sends and return down 2 channels etc.. But main thing is to bring Lex back in stereo full wet and mix it in with "true" analogue MP1/2 path !! :whoohoo!:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I've been using a Behringer MicroMix MX400 in my Rockman rig with no issues at all.  I like the individual input controls and the price - $40!
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Depends what you want to do,  the Behringer MicroMix MX400 line ins are mono and no sends where the ART Splitmix are all stereo and it has 2 busses so you can take MP1/2 direct to poweramp and also send signal to stereo in fx and return into the mix bus. So analogue MP1/2 stays dry and unadulterated, and just mix in digital fx in stereo.
So to use Behringer MicroMix MX400 with MP1, MP1 A/B > chan 1/2, MP1 send (mono) or better headphone out (stereo) to fx in,  fx out L/R chan 3/4.
Price is good at $40, the ART Splitmix are around $100 AUD I think ?

El Chiguete

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Is the Mini Line Mixer really better? You mentioned that the ART SplitMix would loose some gain, but does this also meens that you would loose tone?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Again depends what you want to do, I use an 8 chan Yamaha AM802 (bought it 25 years ago ish), it's got 3 FX sends, 1/2 to L/R QV, 3 to IPS33 smart shift, both QV and IPS33 return down 2 chan each. So a small desk with lots of FX sends is ideal IMHO.
The ART is totally passive, so no power supply, no active circuit, just lets you route signals (in lots of different ways) all in stereo. There's no tone suck, but because it's passive (and no opp amps etc to boost level), so you loose a little voltage gain as the MP1 signal is powering the direct out and FX in, but easy to fix, just turn MP1 output up a bit to compensate, adjust FX in out on the FX.

El Chiguete

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Guys so I bought a RJM Mini Line Mixer and after having issued with it because of my own STUPID faul (or maybe it actually came with the wrone power supply) I now have THE GREAT TONE EVER FROM MY RIG!!!

I've never gotten my delays to sound really good in terms of how they decay and are set up in level but now by using them 100% wet (with the dry signal at 0) and then play a bit with the level my jaw is in the floor! Its really amazing what your tone sounds like when going fully analog on the dry side and mixing in the effects thru a mixer.

So people when people like Nolan, Marshall and others that have years and years of experience with the ADA gear say that by using WHATEVER gear and using it in a certain way JUST BELIEVE ON IT AS A FACT AND GO DO IT!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey El, magic my friend  :whoohoo!: I know I bark on about it but it's the "BEST" way IMHO. Run it like a stereo PA.. And keep the signal analogue all the way with digital FX mixed in  :thumb-up: but hey, that's my preference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up