ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: droning feedback  (Read 7857 times)

gb

droning feedback
« on: Time Format »

hi all

i have this droning feedback issues id like to share. When at high volumes i get this droning feedback even when i mute the strings with my hands. i understand that being too close to the amp will cause this at loud volumes and gain.

I noticed however with a scooped patch say mids -8 the drone doesnt happen only when the mids are increased. with the mids increased i can get it to stop if i move far far away from the amp. Hush on the intellifex helps a little but not much. Also it happens as a note sustains out the drone feedback takes over.. horrible when on stage. I dont want the scoooped metal sound im more the hot rodded 80s metal sound type person. Its very hard to play a chord and mute when required in a song without that drone. and using the gtr volume isnt always practical in song situations. My friends carvin at loud volumes doesnt have this issue though he is scooped. So its causing me to turn down just to avoid that horrible sound.. then i cant be heard .. and im suppose to be the one with the awesome gear .. lol

Is this a normal EQ behavior at loud volumes. this happens between my mp1, modded mp1 and the soldano preamp and ive tried several guitars, different pickups and heights, mounted to the body or floating.

All my guitars are ibanez rg floating trems.. so im just wondering assuming guitars arent the issue persay and happens with several preamps.. if this is a normal EQ behavior when in proximty to the amp.

when on stage or rehersal to get some oomph from my setup it has to be cranked a little and i cant walk 10 meters away for it to stop happening in those situations.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: droning feedback
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey GB, really high gain at loud volumes can be tricky to control.  Has it always been like this or just started lately ?
You could try moving the dcr-1 away from the MP1, first I'd try it out of the rack.  Reading the manual you posted, it talks about it being analogue and that sometimes it can induce noise in other (particularly analogue (i.e. MP1)) units and visa versa, so worth a try to rule that out.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

gb

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey GB, really high gain at loud volumes can be tricky to control.  Has it always been like this or just started lately ?
You could try moving the dcr-1 away from the MP1, first I'd try it out of the rack.  Reading the manual you posted, it talks about it being analogue and that sometimes it can induce noise in other (particularly analogue (i.e. MP1)) units and visa versa, so worth a try to rule that out.

ive tried it with just mp1 and power amp.. same with other mp1 and soldano with poweramp... it never happened before however.. before i was running a scooped patch.. then remember we spoke and i wasnt cutting through the mix in the band.. which i thought or was advised i need to increase some mids HOWEVER i then learnt it wasnt soo much the EQ but more so i wasnt aware that you run the power amp at full volume (or at 2-3pm as VHT recommends as the sweet spot) and then control volume via the output on the preamp etc..

so as you can see a bit of a learning curve on all accounts. so im wondering now do i need alot of mids at correctly adjusted loud volumes if that controls a bit of this droning feedback. i was more curious to understand if this is normal EQ behaviour or if others experience the same. I do understand hi gain at loud volumes needs to be controlled .. but i guess i was moreso comparing to my friends head and how come he doesnt have that type of feedbak issue and i do before i can get to his volumes.

but again he is scooped and now when i scoop i can get to ear blistering volumes at home with hi-pitched feedback which is expected but no droning (thats how i describe the sound).

not sure whats considered high gain with MP1s but my OD1 is 7.5 OD2 is 7.5 and master 7.5 .. i still dont know what OD1 and 2 do in reference to each other im just guessing lol.. eq when "droning" is bass 4, mids 4, treble -6 pressence 10.. nothing seems to make a difference cept the mids .. when u cut the mids -8 or lower (entering scooped territory) the droning goes 95% away .

probably sounds like im asking for the impossible at loud volumes but more trying to understand whats "normal" limits or behaviour so i can understand my gear better and its limits.

Probably thinking, just turn it down.. and the sound guy will adjust volumes when the cab is mic'd but i still need to hear myself onstage or in a band rehearsal situation.

i appreciate the discussion. I really want to get to know my gear and understand it better and how best to configure it. very excited with it all. i really love it. :D

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Ok, George and I just had a long chat on the phone, he's going to try some more isolation testing, it may be his poweramps (unlikely though, he has 2 VHTs recently retubed, can this kind of noise be attributable to power tube bias ??). It may be the patch leads into the pwoweramp(s) ?? All 4 guitars and all 3 preamps (MP1, MP1 5150 mod and Soldarno), same noise issue. Any ideas fellow ADAers??

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I think the best thing to do is getting a good noise gate.It's normall you get feedback at high volumes with increased mids and high gain (7.5 is pretty high) .Don't think there's anything wrong with your equipment.I have this also at high volumes.I solved this by getting a good noise gate.First a hush,didn't cut it,then i used the gates of an alesis 3630 compressor in dual mode,by which i mean,guitar into the first gate,out to the mp-1 in and the out of the mp-1 to the in of 3630 and out of the 3630 too the effects.Now i did modify the input of the gates of 3630 to high impedance because it has an input impedance of 100k which is a bit low for guitar pick ups.Using 2 gates this way works a lot better then just using one since you cut the noise of the guitar and cable and the noise of the mp-1,helps also great with feedback.Now downside was the 3630 just wasn't fast enough for me,i always heard a tiny bit of feedback when it closed and it really annoyed me so i got the decimator proGrack (the rack version not the pedal) and i use it in the same way as the 3630 but the decimator is really quick and works great.It's not cheap but it's worth every cent.No noise and no feedback at all.

gb

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the feedback guys no pun intended.  My friend has Hush units perhaps I can ty this while I try his gear as comparisons and testing.. ans then look at the Pro G.. which funnily considered.  Theres a stereo mod version is that what you use or the dual mode one?.. sounds interesting when you read up on how it works.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I have the stereo version but i use it dual mono,again works alot better then in stereo.

Another good noise gate is the boss noise suppressor NS-2,too bad it's a pedal.

gb

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I have the stereo version but i use it dual mono,again works alot better then in stereo.

Another good noise gate is the boss noise suppressor NS-2,too bad it's a pedal.

Thanks mate. My friend has come to the rescue telling me he has the prorackg but dual mode version and rocktron noise suppressors that I can try.. so im lucky he has it all I can try including poweramps and preamps. I shall report back in a week or so when I get a chance to catch up with him.

Cheers

gb

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Even though its the mono version can I still come out stereo at the end .. I figure the ada mp1 is mono.. and goes into the intellifex where it splits to stereo.. im hoping the way you use the mono prorack g doesnt interrupt the stereo out to the stereo power amp.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

The way i use it the mp-1 is mono but the rest of my rack is stereo.

gb

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The way i use it the mp-1 is mono but the rest of my rack is stereo.

Cool.. ill check it out and report back when I catchup withy friend. He said he has rhe rocktron guitar silebcers iap g string pedal and isp prorack  mono version for sale all hardly used.. so ill try them out.

This is similar to the noise im getting.
http://youtu.be/_WvM-SY9c98 as an example

gb

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

My friend popped over with his decimator and wow.. it did the trick. I showed him the issue I was having and he said the same that it was normal feedback under the circumstances.

Anyway he had 2 Rockton silencers which we compared and ran the same way 1 after guitar and the other after preamp. Sounded good but I thinknthe decimator was the way to go. 1ru. Im considering the 2 rocktron units for other rig. Maybe im just getting gear happy haha.

I think its coming from after the preamp because if i turn channel 1 off (OUT) where my guitar plugs into the noise is still gone and i have after the preamp in channel 2 and this of off or i turn the threshold down the noise comes.. Either way thanks for the discussion to both of you and the suggestion marshalljmp for the prorackG. I was lucky my friend had one to try AND sell!!

ive been playing it randomly today when im well enough and i tell ya, for some reason it makes me want to play more and at a good decent volume in stereo and no noise.

He also has an ada microcab which I will try another day.

Whats the consensus on these units? Its like new and cheap.
« Last Edit: Time Format by gb »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey George, Microcab ? buy it now (quickly)  :thumb-up: How's the recovery after you opp ?  All well I hope.  There's some Microcab chat on the board. MJMP has a couple IIRC and maybe he's done a mod for them as well ??
(makes me want to play more and at a good decent volume in stereo and no noise.) absolutely, nothing worse than background noises and crap with you rig when you just want to get on and play.  Glad the decimator sorted it out for you.

gb

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey George, Microcab ? buy it now (quickly)  :thumb-up: How's the recovery after you opp ?  All well I hope.  There's some Microcab chat on the board. MJMP has a couple IIRC and maybe he's done a mod for them as well ??
(makes me want to play more and at a good decent volume in stereo and no noise.) absolutely, nothing worse than background noises and crap with you rig when you just want to get on and play.  Glad the decimator sorted it out for you.
hey mate

ok, struggling with pain still, im grumpy because of it lol, but the decimator made it bareable for the moment. not recovering as fast as i thought.. give it another week and see where im at.

microcab hey? im liking ada gear so i might get it even if i dont use it right now, its cheap enough well seems so $100

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Go for the Microcab, good ones don't come up often, there's a bunch of ways you can use one to good effect, from recording to live.
Hope the pain ebbs quickly my friend... the best news was you were enjoying playing loud with no/less noise... will make you heal faster  :thumb-up:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up