ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New rack complete!  (Read 59024 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
Re: New rack complete!
« Reply #60 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, as I said now the fun begins  >:D :thumb-up: .
When you start considering sending direct to full range systems (PA, recording, foldback wedges, headphones etc) you have to reduce the top end in the signal sent to them as your MP-1 patches are setup for 12" guitar cabs (which obviously don't have a tweeter and are not full range (and roll off around 5khz).  Cabinet simulators do the job (and ADA have just released their new version, GCS5), probably the most fundamental thing all cab sims do is filter the top end.  The MP-1 headphone out has a couple of caps in the circuit to filter the top end (so it sounds ok in the full range headphones) and can be used as a basic cab sim for sending the stereo signal to full range systems.
Mike has the ADA GCS3 cab sim in his MP-1 loop, he makes 2 identical patches, one with loop in ie cab simmed to use for recording, headphone amp or plugging directly into my studio setup, and the other with the loop out for normal amp > cab use (which he uses mostly).

With my hybrid rig (MB=1 for bass and MP-2 for guitar (and bass  >:D ) I use Mesa P112 bass cabs which have a tweeter but are not "flat" full range cabs.  So I take the MP-2 main outs and  2 cab sim outs (MP-2 has cab sim option built in) into my mixer (AM802) and blend them together.  The MB-1 is full range so I take its full range out into another channel (and mix in stereo Fxs using Aux sends and returns).  I can then split the bass PUs neck into MB-1 and bridge into MP-2 and mix it all together.

Man awesome info here Richard - gonna have to check this out and try all these suggestions!!!   :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #61 on: Time Format »

Guys here's both me and Jason's rigs - yes we have 4 current MP-1s and the 5th one is one it's way to MJMP  :banana:

And we have yet another being shipped this week - sound clips will come in a couple weeks  ;D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #62 on: Time Format »

Looking good DjC  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #63 on: Time Format »

You guys are TOTALLY CRAZY!!!  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:headbanger: :banana-rock: :banana-guitar: :metal: :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #64 on: Time Format »

:headbanger: :banana-rock: :banana-guitar: :metal: :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon
+1 ;D

Iperfungus

« Reply #65 on: Time Format »

On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #66 on: Time Format »

Hey thanks  ;D This is just so much fun we can't help it.

Two more MP-1s ordered - just to be sure  :thumb-up:
 The others may keep MJMP busy for awhile so we didn't want to go without  :headbanger:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #67 on: Time Format »

The others may keep MJMP busy for awhile so we didn't want to go without  :headbanger:

8? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:  :whoohoo!: :whoohoo!: :whoohoo!:  :bow: :bow: :bow:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, I've to send my MP-1 to MJMP to do the PIMP MY ADA dance...  :banana-dance:
Don't you send too many units!!!  :lol:
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #68 on: Time Format »

8? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:  :whoohoo!: :whoohoo!: :whoohoo!:  :bow: :bow: :bow:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, I've to send my MP-1 to MJMP to do the PIMP MY ADA dance...  :banana-dance:
Don't you send too many units!!!  :lol:

Yeah I think we will keep him busy for awhile for sure!

On a serious note though, yes 8 ADA MP-1s now - and none of them are reliable at this moment!  :(
Even the one I call my Holy Grail is having issues now so until I have one that's functional all the time we will keep searching.
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #69 on: Time Format »

On a serious note though, yes 8 ADA MP-1s now - and none of them are reliable at this moment!  :(
Even the one I call my Holy Grail is having issues now so until I have one that's functional all the time we will keep searching.

NO!!!  :nono:  :facepalm: :dunno:

What's happening to Holy Grail???
And to the others???
Which issues? Did they start after a while?

That's a long, hard quest Bro.
I'm sorry for all this bad luck.

The one you sent to MJMP will be your next Holy Grail for sure.

My MP-1, at the moment, seems to have no issues...but I'm planning to send it to MJMP for some service and mods:

1) SS Mod (no extra gain)
2) MDRT mod
3) noise mod for MDRT
4) battery mod
5) pots change
6) trimpots check

Once it will be there, we'll see what's needed.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #70 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, while it's with MJMP, maybe get him to change out all the jacks as well as the pots (he has all but original input jack IIRC), and maybe tube sockets  :dunno: , or go like Mike did, MJMP has new (stock circuit but with better components) tube boards. Then, along with your list, you've upgraded pretty much everything that can be.  Mike bought all the jacks but hasn't put them all in yet.

So Mike's MP-1 is a V1 (with top switch (DjC!!)) which I bought new (and it's done a gazillion gigs  >:D , never missed a beat, ever..), always lived in its rack.
Mike has installed:
New (improved component) stock tube board
MDRT
Noise Mod
Battery Mod
Rear Jack Mod (which replaces the front input jack also)
And he has all the other jacks ready for swap out (fortuitously they don't get much ware).
I.e how do you bring a MP-1 up to the best it can be so it will last another 25ish years

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MikeB

« Reply #71 on: Time Format »

2) MDRT mod
3) noise mod for MDRT
4) battery mod
5) pots change
6) trimpots check

That's pretty much what I have done to mine.  You are going to love it.  :headbanger:
Just had a look at your rig pics.   We have very similar setups, except that my tc is a g-major 2.
I hope yours ends up sounding as good as mine has.

DJC:  it has been a rough ride for you.   You have the foundation prepared. Once you have something that mjmp has taken a wire brush to,  it should sound like new.  You are nearly there.  :banana-dance:
I don't feel tardy!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #72 on: Time Format »

NO!!!  :nono:  :facepalm: :dunno:

What's happening to Holy Grail???
And to the others???
Which issues? Did they start after a while?

That's a long, hard quest Bro.
I'm sorry for all this bad luck.

The one you sent to MJMP will be your next Holy Grail for sure.

My MP-1, at the moment, seems to have no issues...but I'm planning to send it to MJMP for some service and mods:

2) MDRT mod
3) noise mod for MDRT
4) battery mod
5) pots change
6) trimpots check

Once it will be there, we'll see what's needed.

Yes I promise all of you this is no exaggeration - issues with all 8 units! However the last one looks, plays and sounds great however the chorus had died, which blows because I love the magic of the chorus but it's gone on this last one  :(

But the others are all having issues. My Holy Grail unit a couple days ago out of nowhere started losing gain while playing and goes from a Bogner Uberschal type of gain and tone to a stock JCM 800 and it is really pissing me off!!!!! This was "THE" one and now it's funky and out of my rack.

I have one we got that the power switch and fuse holder were replaced but front and rear pots don't function and yet can cancel each other out if I move them around too much. Also the membrane switch is badly worn and it takes a lot of work to get the settings where I need them but once I do I like the tone! I will eventually need to send it MJMP though because like I said if I bump that front or rear pot it takes awhile to get things functioning properly again.

And the others all have issues ranging from dead channels ( sent to MJMP already ) to inputs that don't work and volumes that don't function along with dead choruses. Another one we call Rusty and the entire unit appears to have been submersed at some point due to the extreme rust however this unit sounds good! But I fear the amount of rust may cause an issue down the road.

So as I have mentioned in the past - not trying to be greedy and buy up all the MP-1s but I just need two that function properly and are reliable.  :(
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #73 on: Time Format »

2) MDRT mod
3) noise mod for MDRT
4) battery mod
5) pots change
6) trimpots check

That's pretty much what I have done to mine.  You are going to love it.  :headbanger:
Just had a look at your rig pics.   We have very similar setups, except that my tc is a g-major 2.
I hope yours ends up sounding as good as mine has.

DJC:  it has been a rough ride for you.   You have the foundation prepared. Once you have something that mjmp has taken a wire brush to,  it should sound like new.  You are nearly there.  :banana-dance:

Are we creating a standard, Mike?  :lol:

MP-1
GMaj
B200s

This evening I'm planning to discover how THE THING sounds...

:metal:

BTW, I think I'll follow rnolan suggestion and ask MJMP to swap jack connectors as well.
Then I'll be ok for the next 30 years.  :lol:
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #74 on: Time Format »

Yes I promise all of you this is no exaggeration - issues with all 8 units! However the last one looks, plays and sounds great however the chorus had died, which blows because I love the magic of the chorus but it's gone on this last one  :(

But the others are all having issues. My Holy Grail unit a couple days ago out of nowhere started losing gain while playing and goes from a Bogner Uberschal type of gain and tone to a stock JCM 800 and it is really pissing me off!!!!! This was "THE" one and now it's funky and out of my rack.

Did you already attempted to swap tubes on the HG, mate?

So as I have mentioned in the past - not trying to be greedy and buy up all the MP-1s but I just need two that function properly and are reliable.  :(

We know bro...
Sorry for all that bad luck...but do not loose faith and hope!
Ans let MJMP do the SS mod to the MP-1 you already sent him!  :thumb-up:
On the run again!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up