ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NPupsD!  (Read 16695 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: NPupsD!
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I tend to prefer bridge pups in the neck because I'm a crazy person.

From one Crazy Person to another.....gtfo of my chair.   ;)

I did this with the EMGs.  I absolutely hated the 85 wherever I tried to put it.   I tried it in the neck....and hated it.   Tried again in the bridge...hated it even more.  The 81 was very welcome in the neck position, however.  Then the 57 became my favorite bridge pup, as it did what I wanted it to do better there than the 81 did.  So, 81 (a decidedly Bridge pup) became my favorite Neck pup in EMGland.

Anyone throw a pair of CrunchLabs in both Neck and Bridge positions? 

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Kim,

I'll let you know. The Air Norton, like the Norton was also designed as a bridge pickup. I use use it in the neck position and I mounted mine upside down, (slotted screws toward the neck). There is a bit more power to the Norton, so maybe that will help balance the output. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

The Showmasters are not thru-neck guitars rather, they are set-neck guitars along the line of Gibsons. When they were current on the catalogs, they were advertised as having Mahogany necks and a Basswood body, but I can see through the finish on the back of my S-S-S guitar, that the body as actually African Mahogany as well as the neck.
    When I got my first one in '07, it was hanging on the used guitar section in GC, and I picked it up for $250. It had a very comfortable neck and was in good shape, so I bought it. It came with it's stock pups which were SD's, (Pearly Gates in the bridge, and RWRP JB in the neck). As soon as I plugged it in when I got home, I knew those pups were out of there. It was all high end, and thin sounding. Currently, that guitar has the Air Zone in the bridge, and the Air Norton in the neck. The Air Norton actually delivers more of the kind of sound I want to hear from the guitar which is a full range type of sound with a lot of clarity all around, and it does have a decent emphasis on the low end. The Air Norton seems to have a lot more output compared to the Air Zone in the bridge, and I've toyed with the idea of replacing the bridge pickup with a Norton to balance the output a bit more, but I don't want to lose that warmth. The Airbuckers are advertised as a warmer. more vintage version of their original counterparts. For a short time, I did have a Tone Zone in the bridge of the other H-H guitar, but I took it out because it was too nasally for my taste, too much emphasis in the upper midrange. I replaced that with a Steve's Special in the bridge, and that guitar now produces tones that are very reminiscent of Waddy Wachtel's tone on Warren Zevon's Werewolves Of London.
   I have been thinking that I may try a Mo Joe pup in the bridge, but I'm not sure if I want that kind of tone in my bridge pick up, as that could be a little too muddy. I may just get a Norton and try it.

Perhaps I am wrong Harley, but this is the info I got on my Squiers regarding the two deluxe version I own.  May be they are different from the Fenders

V4 - The Deluxe versions with neck-through construction were made alongside these models and were available in HH and HSH configurations. The Deluxe HH neck-through came in three colors: Shoreline Gold Metallic (544), Atlantic Blue Metallic (569), and Wine Red Metallic (575). The Deluxe HSH came in three different colors: Pewter Gray Metallic (543), Black Metallic (565), and Emerald Green Metallic (571). No HSS neck-through models were made. All V4 models came with black hardware.

also I too think of Air Norton as a Bridge pup.

Harley, report back to me on the Norton.  I was wondering, since the Air Norton doesn't have the balls I'm looking for, of what the regular Norton would sound like in the neck.  I tend to prefer bridge pups in the neck because I'm a crazy person.  I have a Flying V with a pair of X2Ns and a Les Paul with a Tone Zone in the neck.

I used to do this as well back in my early to mid 20's but then I realised it sounded like  :poop:  I had the odd success but generally I learnt my lesson.

The balance with other pups was also a nightmare sometimes.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry,

Yes, the construction of the Fenders is different from the Squires. I can faintly see where the glue joint is on the H-H guitars, and I see it more clearly with the S-S-S guitars. Even though they were advertised with Basswood bodies, I can clearly see on the single coil version that the body is Mahogany. I can faintly see the wood grain on the H-H guitars in strong sunlight, but you can tell by the weight, they are not Basswood.
    Getting a balanced output from guitars can be a pain in the ass when you aren't buying a matched set of pups to put in it, so you have to try some experimentation.  The Air Norton, although rated with a little less output than the Air Zone, seems to come through a lot stronger because it's in the neck position, and therefore, picking up a wider vibration range than it would if it were in the bridge position. The output of the Tone Zone was a pretty good match with the Air Norton, but I didn't like the sound of the Tone Zone, so it had to go. If the Norton can give me the kind of sound I'm getting from the Air Norton, but with enough output to balance it, I'd be happy with that.
    Also, the woods used in a guitar does have an effect on the tone too. So what might work in my Showmaster, may not work so well in  a Les Paul, (different variety of Mahogany).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

It says my Stagemasters and Showmasters are alder and poplar (I also read basswood) however I cannot tell which my 5 versions of this guitar are what when it comes to the wood.  All I know is the deluxe versions with neck through are as heavy as hell and sound very different from say the 20th Anniversary Squier edition Showmaster which is bolt on.

Perhaps I am confused, the Air Zone may be what I was thinking off not the Air Norton.  Which ever is the bridge version is the one I was thinking off.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

No Gerry,
   You are correct, the Norton, and Air Norton, were designed to use in the bridge, it was John Petrucci who started using it in the neck position with the Ibanez JP100 guitar.

vansinn

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Mmnn, DiMarzio's in a Kelly, good combo. The PAF is known to me, the Breed isn't.  (shouldn't it be the Breeder.. :lol:)

I'd avoid matte black like the plaque; wherever your huge underarm rubs, it gets polished to a semi-sheen, same around the knobs. Looks great new, but gets to look crap in just month.
« Last Edit: Time Format by van Sinn »

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

I'd avoid matte black like the plaque; wherever your huge underarm rubs, it gets polished to a semi-sheen, same around the knobs. Looks great new, but gets to look crap in just month.

Word to your mother, sir.  I had an Epiphone Goth Flying V because I was 13 and everything I owned had to be black.  Was fun for a while and it did look bitchin', but I eventually got tired of the all black so I repainted it white with pink stripes and a mirror pickguard.  The exact opposite of black, heh.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

So I played the megadrive through my live rig this weekend.

Holy  :poop:

That pickup has turned out to be a great choice for my Stagemaster!  Lots of midrange, lots of definition, nice bit of sparkle.  Very happy with it.  Gets all the harmonic content,  I was totally impressed with it.

Now I have another Stagemaster with the neck through, but I don't have another megadrive  :( (I hate that they are hard to come by), what could I though in to this guitar?  I got a load of Super D's, an X2N and a D activator X.  May have to try a few or look at something else.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

If you like that mid and top end try an Evolution (DP159F)...you won’t be disappointed.
Or buy a new Megadrive from Thomann...they have them in stock ;)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

I second Systematic Chaos on the Evolution.  Brightest pickup I've yet to play.  When I first got my MegaDrive, I described it as a more rounded Evolution.  I've played Super Ds, X2Ns, and D-activator, though the latter was in a buddy's guitar that I borrowed for the week.  The D-activators were the most articulate, but nothing to write home about.  I have a set of X2Ns and they are FAT.  Good for ALL DA GAIN, so be careful not to have too much preamp gain otherwise it'll get muddy.  Coil splits like a dream and gets good cleans out, but lacks dynamics.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

I personally found the D-Activators way more high pitched than the Evolution. The Evo sounds awesome in Alder and Mahogany and the pronounced mids let you cut through any mix, provide harmonics to spare and attenuate saturation

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

f**king UPS courier delivered more shit on my doorstep!  >:(   When will it end?

;)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Awesome!! Enjoy the CL!!

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Awesome!! Enjoy the CL!!

Oh....I think I might.   ;)

NEW PUPS (installed) DAY!!!!    :whoohoo!:   

I now have the Crunchlab and PAF Pro installed in my "metal" guitar; just did a normal 3-way toggle install with no fancy push/pull pot or anything like that this time around.  Confirmed:  I am a big fan of having that PAF Pro in the neck position.  :thumb-up:  I just liked it so much there in my other guitar that I went right ahead and got another for this one.   The Crunchlab....definitely different than what I'm used to, but so far it seems in a good way.  Some real nice harmonic overtones in there like the Breed has but in just a little sharper way.  I scrolled through all the programs of my QuadTube and played stuff in each one for about 10 minutes each, switching toggle positions around, rolling Room EQ knob up and down, and getting a real good feel of what I got. Plenty badass, but playing through the Rig of Fire is the real test.  To Be Continued....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up