ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Herby's attemt @ SS Mod, Noise Mod, MDRT Mod  (Read 48695 times)

herbyguitar

I'm considering doing an overhaul to my MP1 V2. I have replacement tubes. I'd like to also replace internals that should be replaced (caps, transformer, whatever needs replacing). I've already done the battery mod. I 'think' I'd also like to install a MOD4.

Reason for choosing MOD 4: Marshall. It's the only mod that doesn't have cons in the descriptions and also does not sacrifice too much of the clean tube sound... besides, I like the idea of harmonics (it was in the description). Something hard to come by with a strat. I don't need a lot of gain. I know what I want... I think. I just don't know if I'm up to doing it myself... schematics are Greek to me.

Also, any advice will be appreciated.

Alternative: Overseas shipping and labor to have this done would be expensive...
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

herbyguitar

Re: Herby's attemt @ SS Mod, Noise Mod, MDRT Mod
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well... after doing a lot of searching, reading, and weighing the differences. It sounds like what I'm looking for is more in the 3TM mod. It looks like everyone really likes the transformer swap also. So... I'll be changing directions.

Is there anyone reliable in the US that can do these mods? [edit] Nope. I'm doing it myself. Wish me luck...

herbyguitar

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

In the 3TM mod there is a trim pot that's added to the main board. What does this pot do?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Herby's attemt @ Mod 3TM
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey herby, I suspect the trim pot is a gain adjustment  :dunno: , but others will know better than me.  If you don't want outrageous gain and want to keep reasonable clean sound capability, then I don't think 3TM is the way to go for you.  E.g. MJMP uses a 3TM for distorted sounds (coz he plays metal  >:D ) but uses a MP-2 for cleans.
Re doing it yourself, we can help talk you through it, it isn't (mostly) too hard to do.  You do need a decent temperature controlled soldering iron, though they are not that expensive (eg a Duratech TS1513 (which I bought) or similar) and a few other bibs and bobs (like a solder sucker and/or solder wick).  That said, any decent tech should have no problems doing the mods for you, buy the bits from MJMP (or source yourself) and get them to follow the instructions.
You don't need to understand schematics, all you need is the PCB layout to locate/find the various components you need to change out.

This is what I would do (advice LoL):
If your unit is a V1 (ie inst/line switch on top), do the rear jack mod first (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm) this will get you into it, replace the front and rear input jacks and turn the rear jack into inst level (and isn't hard to do).
Do the MDRT and a new tube board, I'd go with the SS Mod tube board (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/ada%20mp1%20ss%20mod.htm), a bit more gain, but otherwise upgraded stock tubeboard, modernised.  Now IIRC the MDRT install requires a change on the tubeboard, so get it from MJMP MDRT ready (and a MDRT) and do them at the same time (this should be rather easy to do and you wont have to change the tubeboard component(s)).  The only place you can buy a new MDRT is from MJMP, he gets a batch of them made from time to time to keep us all happy  :thumb-up: .  So it makes sense (well to me) to just get him to send everything you need (a nice little box will turn up with all the bits and include ADA Depot stickers  :whoohoo!: ).

And last, do the noise mod, this is changing out the old caps.
Oh and maybe EPROM ?  The last EPROM is 2.01, when you turn the unit on it will display the version.
Then either get a tech to do it (in the order above, or all at once), or do it yourself with some help and encouragement from us here  :thumb-up:

Harmonics you can chase (to some extent) with tube choice eg try a pair of New Sensor Mullard Long plates (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-12ax7.html), they just sing mmmm
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

herbyguitar

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I have never run the (stock) MP1 full gain. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of gain at hand for me. I just need tighter and quieter. The tone of the (stock) MP1 is fine. EQ wise, I have a 3 band parametric and a 7 band linear in the 1101 which is running after the MP1. I won't be adding anything to the front end or the effects loop of the MP1. Things in front seem to always add noise.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Herby, I think the MDRT will do just what you want, (based on how it sounds in Mikes MP1 (tighter, quieter, and more dynamic)).  I've never run anything in front of an ADA preamp (well maybe a tuner), I know some do and it works for them.  Apart from the MDRT, my other suggestions are about modernising the unit and further reducing noise.  Tube choice will also play a part (but we've discussed elsewhere).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

herbyguitar

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I weighed all the options and expenses (which would be substantial) of fixing the MP1 and decided the cost and uncertainty isn't worth it. The MP1 goes back into storage. Instead of trying to resuscitate a one trick pony I'll just work with my 1101.
Thank you all for your help and insight.

herbyguitar

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

...well. I've moved away from my (being totally confused, overwhelmed, crouching in the corner) position and back to reality. The MP1 just sounds way too cool to give up now. I'm going to go the SS, noise, MDRT route. "Whew" ... that was a tough decision.

[edit] Sent payment and waiting for parts...

MikeB

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

You have made a good decision. I've done the same thing and it sounds amazing.  :banana:
I don't feel tardy!

herbyguitar

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

@MikeB!!! I've been waiting for your input! Thanks for chiming in. I feel much better now. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Thank's man  :) 

Thank you all for putting up with my crazy quirks  :D 

MikeB

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Happy to help.   You were jumping around so much that i want really sure what it was you were looking for.  I hope this choice makes you happy.
I don't feel tardy!

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey there Herby, I noticed that you also have an 1101. I run my 1101 and MP1 using gsp set up #6 in the manual. It allows me to use either the 1101 preamps or the mp1. It also allows me to use all the 1101 effects in their proper position. .i.e. the noise gate first. It eliminates all unwanted noise from the mp1 while preserving it's tone. It takes a little tweaking but once you get it, the tones are amazing!
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

+1 on what Soloist said. That's the way I ran my MP-1/1101 back then. This will also allow you to tighten up the MP-1 by placing one of the 1101 internal ODs in front of the MP-1

herbyguitar

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Yup. I was bouncing around a lot. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what mod would get me what I wanted but it seemed that there was none and I'd have to compromise... then I gave up and took the MP1 out of the rack. 2 days later I pulled the trigger on what rnolan and MikeB suggested.

I ran mine the same way. I hate the way the gate works in this position though. I lose a lot of dynamics. The gate interferes with the signal too much. You can't roll off the instrument volume without choking the signal. The gate works much better at the end of the chain. That's why I switched to running the 1101 behind the MP1. I would like to run the #6 position again and also add a separate gate at the end. This way I'll have the best of both worlds.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Yup, I run another gate with my G major 2 after the mp1.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up