ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Power amps for the MP-1  (Read 14341 times)

Dirty Fingers

Power amps for the MP-1
« on: Time Format »

Hi all
I hope this topic fits in with this section as Im aiming this question to MP-1 users

Im doing a lot of research into power amps to see how various power amps would respond .

The last time I exclusively used the MP-1 was in the 90's and that was into a Bass amp which sounded better than all the
top notch power amps I compared to in the day,I do have several powerful  amps and amps with good FX loops
but want to keep this rigg small-ish

I am looking to have everything in a compact four space rack is my mission (mp-1 , rocktron replifex and 1 or 2 space power amp)

Im thinking of going solid state as there is not much for sale near me or on local ebay , gumtree etc
Thought a fair amount of PA type power amps are available for great prices .

Has anyone used the mp-1 with a P.A type unit or even  something like a rack mount bass head ?

I know the whole theory and trade off's between Value and solid state and dont want to get into that
Just looking into good sounding alternatives that many not be that common .

Hope that makes sense

Cheers
Drew

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Power amps for the MP-1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Andrew, sent you a longish PM about this. As I said, a P.A. amp would work fine (you want clean, transparent, let the MP1 set all the tones). Modern PA amps (eg Carvin 2 RU 500w per side) will work fine and as are switching power supplies, very light. Older PA amps weight a ton, big transformers, typically 4 RU, will sound fine but too heavy to lug.
B200s is perfect but they are getting old(er) and you need to find a 240v model (as we have proper power here LoL in Oz). You can put a 240v toroidal in a B200s, there is room and I've done it. As I said in the PM, would also be good to change the caps if you went that way.

Others will no doubt have some good suggestions.

Cheers R
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I use a Carvin Dcm200l. Solid state, 1 ru, 200 watts. Sounds great with Mp1.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I use two of these.

smallest and lightest power amp around.

I am soon going to be using this which is a German stores own brand version of the Rocktron Velocity.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_gpa_400.htm
 It's cheap and powerful and the when it comes to power amps for guitars 87% of people shopping at the store have chosen it ahead of the rocktrons and Palmer Macht 402and Koch Amps ART-4502
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

gb

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

While not necessarily everyones cup of tea but i love my mp1 with my vht 2902. But recently with my 2502 for a more crunchier sound.  I love either. My staple rig that im yet to feel is inadequate is a replifex (sometimes intellifex) mp1 rack wah and vht into 2 quadcabs at home in full stereo and i tell ya. I love it and never looked  back. Though 2 cabs noy feasible for a gig. Still puts a massive smile  in my face. Glass cracking sound!!. Nails the 80s hair.. im yet to try my 3tm mod. I just bought another mp1 later model so ill see how it compares to my other stock mp1 before  deciding  which  to mod. I might have to get another mod off marshalljmp lol.

They are becoming rare so like rnolan with mp2s ill snap up any i see cheap for backups!!
« Last Edit: Time Format by gb »

SpidaWeb

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I have used a Mesa Boogie Bass 400, a Yamaha SS PA Power Amp, an ASI GTR 125 SS Guitar Amp, ADA Microtube 200, and a Carvin TS100 Tube power amp.  The best tones I have gotten have come from the Carvin.  While all where extremely loud, the Carvin TS100 has given a feeling and a sound that can really only be experienced by running through a tube amp and hitting the sweet spot.

The others sounds great, but there is just something about the TS100 that keeps me hooked on it and keeping that rig, even if I sell others. 
Soli Deo Gloria,
Thomas (Spida)

Dirty Fingers

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I was looking into the Rocktron Velocity 300 , I would like to know if anyone has used one

There was supposed to be a new Rocktron power amp coming out this year called  the "Mainline" or something like that
but Rocktron have a habit lately of bringing out a product , then canning it ??  :dunno:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dirty Fingers »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

For me the marshall 20/20 tube rack amp is the best.Too bad it's not enough wattage to rehearse.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

While I haven't used the Velocity yet almost all the Rocktron rack gear I own or have owned in the past.
All quality products with the exception of the Widow Maker preamp.
 That thing is one steaming pile of  :poop:

Mainline huh? Havent heard of that one yet. I hope it wasn't designed by the same crackhead that did the widow maker. Mainline......that's how he does his drugs! :lol:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Dirty Fingers, I have to agree with SpidaWeb, while I loved the B200s (it's just not there, so transparent and perfect for ADA preamps), the TS100 while beautifully transparent (hey they spruke them to run studio monitors) just has a little something that cheers my sole also. The reviews you read saying they are under powered are IMO misplaced, as I said in the PM, I recon they just don't understand their gain structure. I did an open air gig a few months ago and, while I had to turn it up a bit more, I still didn't max it out (again just mics on kit/vox). However, they are heavy  :facepalm: , I have mine in its own 2 RU rack (which I call "the brick" LoL).

My plan (thought bubble) is to replace the 4 12AX7 input tubes with Mullard long plates and maybe go with a Mullard 12AU7s for the 2 phase splitters (it ships with 12AX7s for phase splitter, not the best tube for that job, you want current not gain). I quite like the GT6l6s that are in it (x 4, so shiny  O:-) ) but maybe some Mullard EL34s would also be a good option....

The Carvin Oz importer is Pro Audio here in Canberra (Ivan, who I've known for years) so I can probably help you get a decent deal on a new one if you decide to go that way.

SpidaWeb

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The TS100 is very loud.  Plenty loud for a band scenario or a club scenario.  To me, there is just something sweet about it when you push it.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Thomas (Spida)

Dirty Fingers

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I was about to buy a TS100 from a guy interstate but after reading reviews saying there under powered turned me off
Unfortunately it was too far away to check out in person.
Being that heavy its the same as me bringing my Marshall heads which im trying to avoid

As far as the Rocktron Velocity  its the Velocity 300 im talking about the one that has been around only for a few years

The reviews of the older Velocity power amps from the 90's are mixed from great to horrible ??

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Well not quite the same as Marshall heads, they are heavier and bulkier, and the TS100 is 2 RU, it sounds great, but it's not light (though about half the weight of the old ADA all tube Tube amp (which weighs more than Dante's old car, which BTW is/was the bench mark for tube amp weight LoL)). That said, If you want a tube power amp, it's going to be heavy (1 x power transformer and 2 x output transformers = weight but sounds great  >:D ).

El Chiguete

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Some guys like transparent power amps in their ADA preamps but I like the tone that adds the EL34s tubes... tho for now my power tube uses EL84s.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey El, well EL34s (6CA7s) were designed to be clean and transparent (like in my old hifi Mullard 20w mono blocks, was my Dads stereo (with QUAD 22 tube pre amp), not add anything (all these tubes come from the hifi world initially). The 6L6 was also designed to not add anything and do much the same job, but do they sound different (absolutely, but you need good ears to hear it). Then it became the British sound was EL34s and the US sound was 6L6s or KT88s.  From what I've read, the EL84s are a re very clean tube but not much power (again hifi and when speakers were more sensitive so low power was fine). In the guitar world we often use the tubes a little differently to the hifi world, but for me, it's all in the preamp (12AX7s were not originally designed for guitar amps or to distort  >:D ), from my power amp I just want it to add required volume. More recent experience (B200s all SS vs TS100 all tube), I found the B200s very transparent (I wouldn't say it has "a sound" as such). I find the TS100 very similar but a little more warmth (so it has a sound, being warm, and maybe more accurate, tubes (still) shit on transistors to track/amplify a signal). Maybe a better comparison is SS is a bit stark/surgical, tubes are more real/organic ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up