ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tubes for 3TM?  (Read 58387 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Tubes for 3TM?
« Reply #90 on: Time Format »

ok here is one batch of tests doing a bit of Judas Priest "Metal Gods" here :)

These where all swaps made to V1 (now that I know V1 is not where I thought it was  :facepalm:  :lol:)  the tubes I kept consistant in V2 and V3 the whole time where TAD RT008s

V1 Position:
1st Tad RT080
2nd RSD
3rd Bugera 12AX7A  *
4th Ruby 12AX7HG   *
5th Bugera 12AX7B  *
6th Tad RT001         *
7th Random tube I had

All those with a star I like the best, couldn't pick a winner between them.  Something that could not be taken into account by recording each tube is the feel.  All those with a star felt best to me, and more even sounding and sensitive to finger movement.

So for example the RSD was really dark and dirty which I liked but weaker for higher stuff.  Then Bugera 12ax7a for example was more balanced and didn't lean too much to one area and felt great, very sensitive to me.

https://soundcloud.com/rabidgerry/tubes-test
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #91 on: Time Format »

Sounds good....will listen later again with headphone.

Short info on the RSD...
The RSD is a re-labelled/-branded (RSD = former tube distributor in the former German Democratic Repuplic) early 80s Yugoslavian Ei remake of the Telefunken long/smooth/grey plate ECC83, manufactured in the early 80s in the Ei plant in Nis/Serbia on old Telefunken machines.
These were also used as Ei ECC83 2A1 tubes in 80s Marshall JCM800...

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #92 on: Time Format »

What was cool about the RSD was, when I used it, and I turned on the MP1, the RSD lit up like a flash bulb from a camera, then went back down to a more normal amount of light for 12ax7 tube.

It had a nice dirty edge and bottom end but it felt like it was harder work to play the trebel string.  Didn't get that with say the Bugeras or the TAD 001

Oh Oh I forgot to mention, as I have an MP1 with the original tubes still in.  So I can vouch that the TAD 001 sounded very similar.  As soon as I started playing it reminded me of those stock mp1 tubes.  I'll be buying more of them I reckon.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: Time Format »

What was cool about the RSD was, when I used it, and I turned on the MP1, the RSD lit up like a flash bulb from a camera, then went back down to a more normal amount of light for 12ax7 tube.

It had a nice dirty edge and bottom end but it felt like it was harder work to play the trebel string.  Didn't get that with say the Bugeras or the TAD 001

Oh Oh I forgot to mention, as I have an MP1 with the original tubes still in.  So I can vouch that the TAD 001 sounded very similar.  As soon as I started playing it reminded me of those stock mp1 tubes.  I'll be buying more of them I reckon.

:thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

You might wanna check the RSD in #2 or #3 slot...#1 sets the overall character/tone (e.g. RT001) and #2/#3 just amplify/multiply/quantify it...
So maybe by NOT having 2 identical tubes (=4 identical triodes >=>very linear) and thus odd/different triodes altogether you´d get more stacked harmonics/overtones....YMMV

Edit:

Just lisened in with headphones...
I actually like the 2nd and 6th...but that is just my listening experience. *Feel* when playing is naturally a different cup of tea.
I´d check out
V1: TAD RT001
V2: TAD RT080/Ruby/RSD
V3: RSD/Ruby/TAD RT080
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #94 on: Time Format »

Ok there's a plan right there.  Combos!!

I wont f*ck up my tube sockets will i?  I felt like I was really abusing my 3tm yesterday pulling those tubes in and out.

I could be here for centuries swapping these tubes in and out and in different positions!

Please not those tests were done with the $18 pickup.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: Time Format »

I wont f*ck up my tube sockets will i?  ....

No worries....(tube) roll on!!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #96 on: Time Format »

You sure?  I don't wanna ruin it and have to send to MJMP  ???

I can't afford no repairs at the moment.  Sometimes when I'm loading the tubes I see the tube board bending!!!!  And I have to do a lot of rocking from side to side.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: Time Format »

You sure?  I don't wanna ruin it and have to send to MJMP  ???

I can't afford no repairs at the moment.  Sometimes when I'm loading the tubes I see the tube board bending!!!!  And I have to do a lot of rocking from side to side.
Rocking the tubes slightly to pull them out/reseat them is totally normal...shows you that the clamps within the sockets are still tight.
We´ve all been tube-rolling to find our preferred "tube-cocktails"....
You naturally don´t yank/slam them in and out of the sockets though.
But no worries with rolling tubes.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #98 on: Time Format »

Well my fav is nr2 the SRD.

Also if you are changing tubes you can put the tops of you fingers between the tubeboard and the chassis,this way the tubeboard won't bend at all.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #99 on: Time Format »

tried

Bugera 12ax7a
RSD
TAD RT008

Nice but way tooooooo muddy.  Felt great though.  Mud fest 5000!!

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: Time Format »

Swap the Bugera for the TAD RT001

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #101 on: Time Format »

I'll be trying a lot more combos don't worry.

The bugera defo not the one making things muddy as I'll prove later.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up