ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Tubes for 3TM?  (Read 58371 times)

rickeb1

Tubes for 3TM?
« on: Time Format »

Hey guys, I have a MP-1 with the 3TM mod, and have been using the Sovtek LPS tubes in it.  I'm generally happy with them, but lately I've been thinking that maybe they are a bit harsh.  They do have a big sound and a lot of gain, which I like.  I've tried JJs, but I felt like they were too weak sounding.  I know Richard likes the Mullards in the MP-2 :), but I wonder how they might sound in a 3TM?  I'm thinking of trying Tung Sols, but I thought I'd check here to see what tubes others are using in their 3TMs.

Thanks!

~ Rick

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Tubes for 3TM?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Rick, El and I were hassling MJMP to try some Mullards in a 3TM, I don't think he got round to it yet.  IIRC he likes the JJs. The Tung Sols wouldn't be a bad choice but from what you describe the Mullards should work well, they are known for taming harshness and are definitely not weak, plenty of warm body and silky highs. Or you could try a combination, maybe a Mullard in V1 may tame the harshness of the Sovteks. MikeB has a Mullard short plate in V1 and a JJ (Boogie SPAX7) in V2 in his MP1 and that works well.  I found the Mullard long plates really suit my playing and have really fallen for them (as most here know LoL).  I'd like to know how they sound in a 3TM, my guess is they would work well.

Cheers R
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Well i use JJ's but the Ruby ones (12AX7ACZ H.G.).Since they are tested by Ruby they will sound better then off the shelf JJ's.

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yep Marshall get around on doing the field test for the depot's sake! jeje
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The TungSols, while being a really nice and bold sounding tube, tend to have a high fail rate in MP1s (there was some long thread on the old Depot....)

The closest current production tube to the original "Chinese Nationals" that the MP1 was designed around are TAD RT001 12AX7A-C.....I like them a lot in combination with NOS Blackburn Mullards.
FWIW, I have tested the tubes SC recommended: TAD 12AX7A-C RT001

I agree with SC, they sound very, very close to the original MP-1 tubes. Hope they last as long.

+1 also for the Mullard Reissues (long plates) which I would use in the 1st tube slot to set the "overall character" and then using the TAD in 2nd and 3rd....

The Sovtek LPS has only one good use in my book...that's the Phase Inverter in poweramp stages.
This is what the LPS does better than almost any other.....

Just my 2 €-cents
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey SC,the tung sols didn't have this problem but the EH's did have a big failure rate in the 3TM's way back.

rickeb1

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Or you could try a combination, maybe a Mullard in V1 may tame the harshness of the Sovteks.

I'm taking Richard's and SC's advice, and have just received a Mullard long-plate that I will put in V1 and go from there!  Just to make sure, V1 on the 3TM board is the left-most tube on the board, closest to the front of the unit when mounted, correct?

Thanks!

~ Rick

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

That's correct!

rickeb1

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Ok, I put the new Mullard long-plate in V1, and to make it short, I am very happy!  It really did tame much of the harshness I was getting, while still having plenty of body and richness (which I was worried it wouldn't have).  I'm now debating about changing out the other 2 tubes, either for Tung Sol or the TADs that SC recommended.  Or maybe 2 more Mullards ;)  But I'm not in as much of a hurry since with the Mullard, it sounds very good right now.

In any case, you guys rock, thanks for all the great discussion and advice!

~ Rick

El Chiguete

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

mmmmmmm it might be time for a Mullard change myself....

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey El,  definitely worth a try to see if you like them.
@Rick, glad that worked for you  :thumb-up:  for 3TM you could also  try the short plates in V2/3

El Chiguete

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Can someone make a quick comparison of tone and use of the short plates vs the long ones?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

The TungSols, while being a really nice and bold sounding tube, tend to have a high fail rate in MP1s (there was some long thread on the old Depot....)

The closest current production tube to the original "Chinese Nationals" that the MP1 was designed around are TAD RT001 12AX7A-C.....I like them a lot in combination with NOS Blackburn Mullards.
FWIW, I have tested the tubes SC recommended: TAD 12AX7A-C RT001

I agree with SC, they sound very, very close to the original MP-1 tubes. Hope they last as long.

+1 also for the Mullard Reissues (long plates) which I would use in the 1st tube slot to set the "overall character" and then using the TAD in 2nd and 3rd....

The Sovtek LPS has only one good use in my book...that's the Phase Inverter in poweramp stages.
This is what the LPS does better than almost any other.....

Just my 2 €-cents

I just ordered some TADS!!  uh now what models did I order..................shit I forgot I shall get back once I check into Thomann website again.

PS I like this SC

This sounds like a great idea.  When I bought my TADS I specifically looked for what Thomann recommended in various slots.  I like the idea of one Mullard long plate in there!!  Might be worth a god dam TRY!!!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, cool, let us know how they sound. :whoohoo!:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

ok I ordered this

2x TAD RT008 TUBE ECC83 WA
1x TAD RT080 7025 WA

thoman says this:

TAD RT008 TUBE ECC83 WA
The TAD ECC83 WA emphesises the warm mids and produces a round sound with rich harmonics. Clean sounds are round and warm with a very good attack. Overdrive sounds stand out with powerfull mids.Smooth top end, full gain, fat mid range, tight low end, very low microphony, low noise, balanced systems, triple mica construction, replaces: 12AX7, 12AX7A/WA/WB/WC, ECC83, 7025

TAD RT080 7025 WA
TAD RT080 7025 WA Valve, preamp valve, ideal for critical input/V1 stage in guitar amps, select for sensitivity, creamy soft treble, full gain, fat mids, round and clear bass, abnormally low microphonic effect, low noise, symmetric systems. Replaces 12AX7, 12AX7A, -WA, - WB, -WC, ECC83, 7025, SPAX7-A. Useable as preamp valve for guitar amps including Diezel ("Pit Spezial"), Blackstar, Brunetti, ENGL, thomann Fender, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Orange, etc.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up