ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 GCS3 in loop, FX in Parallel Using Art Spliter  (Read 3784 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

This post crosses a few topics, but I put it here...
Had a gear afternoon with MikeB, my old MP1, GCS3 in MP1 loop, Art splitter set so TC GMaj in parallel (mixed into analogue MP1/GCS3 signal), Mixer, Studio Monitors.
First we swapped in some new tubes, Boogie SPA's, awesome sound. GCS3 works very well in MP1 loop.  Then bought in the TC via Art splitter (all insert leads to keep it stereo), sounds "markedly" better than chaining through the TC!!!  Try it, the dynamics and tone are so much better.
Then had a tube go very quiet ?? WTF (any ideas ?), anyway chased it down (is it this no, this no etc..) and swapped the "new" tube out for another (lucky I had a few lying around  :thumb-up: ), then all good again.
So, for recording or direct in to PA, GCS3 works great in MP1 loop letting the rest remain stereo.
Using a mixer or something like the Art SplitMix to mix in your digital effects rather than chaining through them sounds much better.

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

I think this needs a good video to post the before and after results!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

MikeB

I'm sure we can work something out with a video.

There are compromises with running the G-Major 2 in parallel.  It is primarily designed to run in series so there are some effects that don't really shine any more because I can no longer control the wet/dry mix.  However, most of those effects are not particularly practical and are not the "bread and butter" type effects that I want to use.  I have also lost any kind of global volume control from the midi controller and the noise gate is no longer going to be of any use.

Even having lost some of the functionality of the TC, I am still happy because the tone is great.

The biggest hassle is that now that I am running the TC parallel and 100% wet, I have to re-program all of my effects. Also, I have now doubled the various level controls throughout the whole setup and getting this set just right is going to be painful.  On second thoughts, its not really that big a problem to have.  I think I'll survive it.

The GCS3 in the MP1 loop works really well and is too easy to set up.  I have just copied all of my patches to a different bank and modified them to have the loop in.  The GCS3 will stay wired in and I just vary which bank I use depending on whether I am going direct or playing through the amp.
I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

We need to do a chained (4 cable method) and parallel (using Art Splitter in this instance (there are even better ways to do it)) compare for you guys, I knew it would sound better (just audio fundamentals) but not how much it sounded better, even I was surprised...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up