ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patch editor for Windows 10?  (Read 475 times)

ny_racer_xxx

Patch editor for Windows 10?
« on: Time Format »

I dragged out my old MP1 I've had since about 1988!!  Did all the noise mods, replaced a bunch of stuff, finally quiet as a church, for an MP1.  Put it aside, then I found a Quadraverb "Parts Only" on ebay reasonably priced that works!!!  Ah my 1988 rig, nearly complete!!!  I had tossed not one by 2 Quadraverbs! Eagit!  So now I'm setting up a direct recording rig, so I'm looking at a USB interface for the PC.
 I was testing the MP1 though my guitar amp, amazing how much better the amp sounds at line level through the QV, rather than inst. level through the amp.

Sooo, what's available for a patch editor that will work with windows 10?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Patch editor for Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey ny_racer_xxx, so for direct recording with the MP-1, the ADA GCX3 cab sim (or similar) in the fx loop works a treat (this is how MikeB does it), since I have a few MP-2s I can run a MP-1 into the MP-2 stereo fx returns and use it's on board cab sims also works well but make a nothing MP-2 patch. 

The last edition of an editor provided for us here for MP-1 and MB-1 attached.  I don't know if it works with Win10?  Let us know how it goes  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Welcome to the Depot!

Man, that was my rig from '89 to '95! That, plus a B200s power amp = 4 space rack I used to run a 4x12 Carvin cab with an actual wall inside for true stereo (man, that was a heavy cab, thank God for wheels)

I bought an MP2 in 1995 and didn't play live for about 15 years, just recorded occasionally (MP2 is great for that BTW). Now, both my preamps just sit in retirement and I play them at jams with friends but I always carry a backup head just in case. I don't trust my gear anymore, it's as old as my nephew - haha

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with, so many options with IRs and such nowadays

ny_racer_xxx

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Recording I think is straight forward, there's plenty of line to usb convertors and just a cab plugin should get me pretty close.  I was smart enough to do sysex dump back in the day, so I have all my patches, I just didn't do it for the Quadraverb, so I have to recreate those, but I didn't have many and this new one is a Plus, so there's some extra's.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Which ever usb I/O device you go for, it makes sense for it to be one that includes MIDI I/O (so you can use the MP-1 editor (if it runs on Win10)). Also, while there may be lots to choose from, they all sound a little different and some interface with your PC more easily than others (and they all come with demo versions of different recording S/W e.g. CueBase (varius e.g. Yamaha), Pro Tools (Focusrite Scarlett I/O), Studio one (PreSonUs I/O). Audacity (Behringer's newer QX 2442 USB mixer which includes 2 chan usb I/O off the main outs). 

Upgrading from my old Pro Tools Digi001, I initially tried a Focusrite Scarlett 8 in/out usb (comes with Pro Tools).  I found it good but quite dry an clinical, it also didn't play easily with Win7.  So I swapped it for a PreSonus 18|24 usb (again 8 in/out) which comes with Studio One S/W.  I found it to be a bit more "musical" sounding and it also played with Win7 much better/more easily. 

The quick and dirty/cheap way though is to run your MP-1 Head Phone (HP) out to you pc line in (1/4" TRS > 3.5mm TRS).  The MP-1 HP out has a couple of caps in the circuit to take off the top end so your patch sounds the same (or very similar) into full range HPs as it does into 2 x ADA split stack cabs), which is the main thing all cab sims do first (i.e. filter out the top end a bit).  The MP-1 patches are eq'd for guitar speakers (obviously), typically 12" Celestions which roll off around 5-6khz.  When played through full range speakers, there is way too much top end.  So the caps in the HP circuit filter that out a bit.

ny_racer_xxx

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Awesome info thanks!!!!  I have an M-audio 2x2 line/Mic to USB coming, this way I can mic my Jube also if I want.  I did do an initial test with the HP out, both to a USB C adapter I have for my cell phone ( I lose earbuds too easily) into the laptop, I did line out into a set of Mackie 4" monitors, and a line into the PC, so I guess I'm just seeing what's easier and more consistent.  I was hoping to use or create an IR to simulate cabs, or perhaps just adjust the eq to compensate.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Well the M-Audio will get you going  :thumb-up: seems it comes with MPC Beats software. Seems to have lots of cool options including cab sim stuff. 

If you want to try eq to compensate/emulate, think of the aspects of the sound you want to try for e.g. what mic (they all sound a bit different and have individual eq profiles, seems SM57 is popular, it's got a 5khz presence hump and good proximity effect (works like loudness, boost bass and highs a bit when you get within an inch of it), you would increase or decrease to adjust for mic angle with on axis being the most pronounced).  You also need a low pass filter (like the HP outs) to take off the highs.  i.e a gentle slope set to about 8khz? to emulate a guitar speaker. But obviously, depends what eq you have, with the QV graphic eq, take the top end down and play with the others..   

Sounds like lots of fun, enjoy  :whoohoo!: .

ny_racer_xxx

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Really appreciate the suggestions, more than enough to get me going...
Pages: [1]   Go Up