ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEAKER WIRING SCHEMATICS  (Read 15367 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: SPEAKER WIRING SCHEMATICS
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, this is very similar to how I've wired my spare slant split stack.  If you plug in just to the top jack (non-switching), you get both speakers mono, in parallel (so impedance will halve, i.e. 2 x 8 ohm = 4ohm etc.).  In this setup, when you plug into the switching jack (I just used the simple ones (3 lugs) which connect the tip to the middle lug with no jack and open when a jack is inserted but have there own middle solder lug which you'd connect to the other speakers +ve).  So when you also put a jack in this socket, the opening of the switch bit breaks the +ve to +ve connection (green wire) that's connected with no jack is inserted and will then be stereo (2 x 8ohms (you said)).  If you just plug into the switch jack, you just get the one speaker it's primarily/directly connected to. The slight difference using a normal 3 lug switching jack to the way MJMP does it with "cliff" jacks, is they have 4 lugs open/close both +ve and -ve connections (with jack plugged in, as in diagram) where the more simple switch jack just open/closes one lug (which you use for +ve to the other speaker (green wire) and the earth is connected (the way I did it) by the metal jack plate that both jacks are mounted to and in contact with.  So the red wire in the diagram (-ve) is not needed (the way I have it) as it's connection is provided by them both being earthed/connected to the metal mounting plate (or you need to wire the 2 jacks earth lugs together if they are mounted on plastic etc.). The 4 lug cliff jack method is better, but both work.

Simple way for you though would be wire it stereo and use your cab merger when you want mono.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

I get that diagram. There are a lot of 4x12 cabs set up with those.

Dante, by default, 1/4" jacks are shunted when nothing it plugged into them. They remain silent and no sound passes through them. That's why when you unplug your guitar from your amp, there is no amp noise.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

I saw that diagram Kim, but I don't understand it....forgive me

No worries, I see I did a piss-poor job of labeling and designating nomenclatures......by that I mean I completely missed all that altogether.  Ha!     :facepalm:   Anyhoo, Richard and Harley explained it quite well.   

This setup worked great for that particular cab/idea I was using at that time.   :thumb-up:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up