ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stabbed in the back? Or Not?  (Read 7446 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Stabbed in the back? Or Not?
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I think it's all about priorities. If the band is 'all' important, then find a way to play the gigs, otherwise expect the unexpected.

If you 'have' to get a job or you'll be out on the street then I can understand not meeting the band obligation. If you're looking for a better job than you have but don't require it to make ends meet then the obligation to the other members would be to play the gigs. Which is more important? The new job or the band?

Well it was my idea to keep the ball rolling, I could have said "I can't do those shows, so cancel 'em", but I didn't.  I don't see why the guy couldn't stick to the script for three shows.

I don't know what your situation is like with your job and your band, I can tell you that 'have' to get a job doesn't come into it.  There would be no band had I no job.  I don't know any musicians playing original music that make any money.  We make a bit of money but not enough to support any of us by a long stretch.

To suggest I should expect the unexpected because I chose a brand new job over three gigs is a joke, having spent time looking for the right guy to do the kind of job that we wanted done.

I took better paying job because keeping head above water where I live is getting harder and I need more money.  Also it was for my own mental health that I took the new job!

The reason I could not do the shows was because in my old job I had worked there so long that I had a lot more annual leave/day's off to take.  So because I accepted the new job I had less annual leave to take and therefore compromised our touring plans for the year.  I also got less time off taking the new job because I was starting three months into the year which meant my annual leave quota would be less than say had I started in January.  Each of the band members and our manager wanted me to take the job, and each one knew I was willing to turn it down for the sake of the band as well.   

But that is neither here nor there, both are important, and there is no choosing between the too because they are linked.  Had I no job, there would be no band.  Both the other guys have jobs as well, all our bands plans revolve around our day jobs, THAT's reality and that is the reality for most bands at our level.  Gigging as regular as possible and touring using annual leave in work.

This will not be a problem next year as I will have more annual leave, so choosing a guy to fill in for 3 shows was a means to a end.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, you are IMO right to be pissed, he was a prick, and I don't need to hear him to decide that, I don't agree he's got better chops than you (and I don't need to hear him to decide that either).  He's a one trick pony who can't grasp the holistic aspect of the music/songs or get the fundamentals right, yeah sweep arpeggios sound like you can play, they have their place but are, in the end, just a little icing on the cake (and largely overdone particularly in the metal scene it seems).  As I said before "look at me aren't I great  :facepalm: ".  Hey, you gave him a pedestal, he abused it clear and simple.  Being a guitar player in a band (and your much more than that anyway) is much more than being able to rattle off a bunch of fancy sounding stuff you've been practicing over and over (to the exclusion of making the whole song right ie not getting the basics).  I have utmost respect for you as both a guitarist and a band member, I have no respect for him as he sought to just showcase himself by playing lots of diddle daddle which quite frankly bores me.  I like your playing, its got soul, you care, your not just trying to sound "fantastic" or whatever, your playing YOUR music, IMO he's just doing the metal version of Muzak.  Moreover he's f*cked up completely, as in if you ever "did" want another guitar in the band (and you I know you don't), you wouldn't pick him.I've thought about this from the perspective of if you say asked me to either fill in for you or just get up and have a play with you and your band (both I'd be very happy to do opposite sides of the world and logistics aside).  I would do my utmost to keep the authenticity of the songs paramount (particularly the energy (my main focus)), not overplay (hey not to say I wouldn't use my chops, but I suspect mine are a bit more honest and earnt than his  :dunno: , I suspect he's just playing platitudes with no soul).I feel your hurt, and he's just been greedy (oo I have a chance, I can be a star), don't let it get to you (a platitude in itself, sorry).You keep saying he's got better chops than you, why ? just coz he's worked out and practiced lots of sweeping stuff, spare me please  :facepalm: , I want heart and soul not mosquitoes, sure it sound impressive (sometimes) but does it fit ? is it music ? or just fluff  :dunno: no real substance (not saying it can't be good).  You are comparing yourself to him, whilst understandable in the situation, there is no need. It's chalk and shit here (to me anyway), he hasn't got a patch on you, it's your band and your songs and you do them very well (not to mention you do the engineering and production  :thumb-up: ).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

+1.
I think Richard nailed it!
Be proud of what you've done Gerry. I love your riffs, song structure, lyrics ect. You are the whole package not just a flash in the pan. Today's music scene needs more people like you! Hold your head high and proud my metal brother  :metal:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

herbyguitar

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Sorry Gerry. It's your band and your songs and they should be played the way you wrote them. I don't mean any harm but sometimes I do stick my foot in it... What I wouldn't give to be a starving musician again... but that was in a previous life. I guess I'm too far away from that life to be objective.
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Addressing Herby first, man you didn't put your foot in it.  I'm just saying, I didn't leave my self open for this situation to arise, the guy took advantage of the opportunity, when he shouldn't have.  He was hired to do a few shows for me because important life shit prevented me from doing a couple of shows.  So I bit the bullet and said "hell get a stand in for some gigs and then I'll be back".  I don't think that really warrants a guy to come in, go off script and start to play things his way, and over blow the solos.  Not when he stood there in front of me playing about 85% - 90% versions of the songs giving me the impression he would remain faithful to the originals.  I had no idea he was going to flash it all up.  To me that was a statement that he felt he could do a better job, or he thought the songs would be better his way. 

People say is my "band a hobby"?  Because I have a job, and I'm like "no".  It's way more than that.  It occupies a massive amount of my time and my life.  But unfortunately day jobs come part in parcel with bands these days.  Many big name bands are touring with guys who have day jobs.  Why?  Because the industry, more so today doesn't pay.  Why?  Probably a combination of downloads, over saturation thanks to the internet across all genres and the fact that people see paying for music as entertainment as something that they shouldn't really be paying for as there are so many ways to get it free.  It's sad, but it's reality.  I could make more money from music if I was in a cover band.  We also make more money selling our merch than we do playing gigs!!

@Richard, I only compare myself to that guy because he was playing me for three nights, so it's hard not to.
But I hear ya man, and thanks.

As for the kind words from Rnolan, Sololist, Kim,  thanks guys, it means a lot.  I didn't start this thread for some "back patting", but it's nice to hear.  I might have a bit of a complex in regards to my own guitar playing ability, but that's something I have to deal with and I don't seem to be able to help that.  I guess I always want to be better, I admire and look up to guys, idols of mine, hero's who are way better than me, and I always want to be as good as them, so that's my drive.  I never feel like I'm anywhere close though.  Sometimes I feel better, other times I don't.

@Soloist glad you dig the music I write also.  Sometimes I feel it's not complex enough or difficult enough.  For some reason those silly benchmarks seem to determine whether you are any good or not.  They definitely do for some reason in the metal world.  Metal Brother together man :headbanger:

So yeah that guy aint getting asked back to fill in for me anytime soon!

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MikeB

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hi Gerry.
I know you have pretty much wrapped up this thread, but I am very curious about one point that hasn't come up yet: what did the other guys in your band make of this guy?
Mike
I don't feel tardy!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hi Mike,

well, good question.

I was told by our singer "everything back to normal for the Belfast gig".  So that doesn't say much about that guy vs me.  I told him I wasn't happy and he said he didn't think the other guy was trying to steal my spot.  But I haven't spoken to them directly about it, that was just texts.  Our drummer probably will have some kind of wishy washy response.

This is also something that has been bothering me to, that they didn't object to this guy f**king shit up, they went along with it.  Didn't complain to the best of my knowledge.  There will be more to add to this Mike when I ask them about it directly.

herbyguitar

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

There's something to be said for loyalty...

Sometimes I feel it's not complex enough or difficult enough.  For some reason those silly benchmarks seem to determine whether you are any good or not.  They definitely do for some reason in the metal world.
Complexity is great but it does get old. Personally, I like short bursts of it now and then. It keeps people wondering when the next burst is coming. It's the anticipation factor. Besides... sooner or later you start repeating yourself and that can get old also.

Gerry: Can you post a link to your page please?
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Gerry nothing to worry about he has good taste in guitars but his tone was ok and hes a little sloppy not that im perfect at all just an opinion

herbyguitar

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Yeah, Gerry. I agree with 'bunkyloo'
Defending Two Castles  :headbanger:  Great song.
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Well I thought he was messy also, not as clinical as how I play those rhythms, but then I dunno, perhaps I'm a bit messy with other aspects of my playing I dunno.

Glad you liked the song.

Haha not my kind of guitar lol, I'm more of a cheapo axe player then do them up!  Stuck a 1meg pot in a Squier Stagemaster last night and it really have given a nice little bit of extra sizzle!

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Well that's always cool too I just love my early RG's though Ive loved many Kramer Charvel I actually just picked up a squire bass I did order new electronics but that's only because the pickguard was cracked anyways.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up