ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to restore to original factory settings  (Read 11414 times)

rennerskt

Hi there,

I'm buying an used MP-1. It was not shipped yet but I would like to know how to restore to original factory settings. Thanks.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: How to restore to original factory settings
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey rennerskt, welcome to the depot, MP1 manual attached, have a read, it's pretty straight forward. Some suggestions, before you blow away the stored patches with a factory refresh, check if you like any of them and move them to a new patch above where the factory reset will effect (or wright them down). The factory patches were only 40 ish IIRC (of 128, but hey check them all, the previous owner may have left you some great patches), a few more in later EPROM updates ??. (the last EPROM update v2.01 is available here (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm)).  When you turn it on, check the display for the firmware version number. If it's not v2.01, that's a worthwhile update (and very easy to do).
If you've never experienced an ADA pre amp before ?, get set to be amazed, they are IMHO still the best guitar preamps ever made  :thumb-up: They work best in stereo BTW, sound fine in mono, but stereo brings them alive. Any way plenty of chat here about the ways and wherefores...
Cheers R
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rennerskt

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey rennerskt, welcome to the depot, MP1 manual attached, have a read, it's pretty straight forward. Some suggestions, before you blow away the stored patches with a factory refresh, check if you like any of them and move them to a new patch above where the factory reset will effect (or wright them down). The factory patches were only 40 ish IIRC (of 128, but hey check them all, the previous owner may have left you some great patches), a few more in later EPROM updates ??. (the last EPROM update v2.01 is available here (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm)).  When you turn it on, check the display for the firmware version number. If it's not v2.01, that's a worthwhile update (and very easy to do).
If you've never experienced an ADA pre amp before ?, get set to be amazed, they are IMHO still the best guitar preamps ever made  :thumb-up: They work best in stereo BTW, sound fine in mono, but stereo brings them alive. Any way plenty of chat here about the ways and wherefores...
Cheers R
Hi rnolan,

First of all, thanks for the reply. My MP-1 will be delivered by the end of the month. This will be my first time with ADA products. Since my english is not very good I did not get when you wrote that "The factory patches were only 40 ish". Another question is what is the first patch available where the factory reset will not make effect?

I read the manual you sent and as far as I understand, the procedure to restore to original factory settings is the following:
"1. Press the STORE button. It will light.
 2. Press the BANK button and while holding the BANK button down press the number 1 button.
 3. The display will read "Preset Loaded" When the display returns to a program number, all 69 factory presets have, been restored." Is that correct?

Sorry for any grammar error and thanks again.

Best Regards,

Rennerskt

gtmm

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

rennerskt,

The number of factory patches depends on the version of firmware in your MP-1.

When you first turn the MP-1 on, watch the display and it will flash a three-digit number for a few seconds. For example, I have firmware version 1.38 in my MP-1. When I turn it on it displays the number "138" for two or three seconds. You might have firmware version 2.01, where the number displayed on power-up would be "201".

If you have version 1.38 firmware, the first 29 patches (1-29) will be overwritten with the factory presets if you restore them. So you could save any that you like to memory (patch) location 30 or higher.

If you have version 2.01 firmware, the first 69 patches (1-69) will be overwritten with the factory presets if you restore them. So, again if there are any you want to save, save them to memory (patch) location 70 or higher.

To be totally safe (in case the manuals are not correct) you could just start saving any you want to save (no matter the firmware version) to memory/patch location 80 and work up from there. This would let you save 49 existing patches before overwriting them with the factory presets.

So, if you have firmware 1.38 you can save more patches than what will be overwritten, and if you have firmware 2.01, this scheme would let you save 71% of the patches before you have to make any decisions.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum. I hope you like the MP-1.

gtmm

rennerskt

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

rennerskt,

The number of factory patches depends on the version of firmware in your MP-1.

When you first turn the MP-1 on, watch the display and it will flash a three-digit number for a few seconds. For example, I have firmware version 1.38 in my MP-1. When I turn it on it displays the number "138" for two or three seconds. You might have firmware version 2.01, where the number displayed on power-up would be "201".

If you have version 1.38 firmware, the first 29 patches (1-29) will be overwritten with the factory presets if you restore them. So you could save any that you like to memory (patch) location 30 or higher.

If you have version 2.01 firmware, the first 69 patches (1-69) will be overwritten with the factory presets if you restore them. So, again if there are any you want to save, save them to memory (patch) location 70 or higher.

To be totally safe (in case the manuals are not correct) you could just start saving any you want to save (no matter the firmware version) to memory/patch location 80 and work up from there. This would let you save 49 existing patches before overwriting them with the factory presets.

So, if you have firmware 1.38 you can save more patches than what will be overwritten, and if you have firmware 2.01, this scheme would let you save 71% of the patches before you have to make any decisions.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum. I hope you like the MP-1.

gtmm
Thanks for the reply gtmm!

gtmm

rennerskt,

No problem.  :thumb-up:

This is a great forum; rnolan, Dante, MarshallJMP, Systematic Chaos, and many others know the ADA gear really well and have lot's of good opinions on various tubes and modifications. There is also a wealth of information here in the "The Vault = Schematics and Mods" section (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=148.0) and in many of the threads.

You might want to download both versions of the MP-1 manual from the "User Manuals and User Guides VAULT" at:
http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=659.0 because one is for firmware versions 1.xx and the other for firmware versions 2.xx. There are not a lot of differences, but the differences are significant where they exist.

Hope you enjoy your MP-1, it's a very good pre-amp.

Shout-out to rnolan, Dante, and MarshallJMP because if this forum hadn't existed, and if the members weren't so generous, I never would have purchased a couple of MP-2s -- and that would have been a damn shame.  :facepalm:

Thanks to all.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey gtmm, thanks for the shout  :bow: , we've built/are continuing a great repository/site again and Jurr I'm sure would be happy (go Dante  :thumb-up: ). As you say there is an amazing wealth of experience here.
Mp1s are fantastic, but MP2 mmmm add Mullard long plates (melt me.......)

Hey Rennerskt, you grammar etc is fine  :thumb-up: as gtmm says, later EPROMs came with more presets, restoring factory defaults will blow away any mods made to/for those patches, for me I don't care as I'll run up my own sounds regardless (often based on factory settings though). I spose there are 3 ways to approach this, 1. you start from blank and run up a patch (my preferred method), 2. you start from factory patch you like and modify (did this with MP1 001 Marshall sound, good place to start), 3. you try a posted patch (there's quite a few to choose from (although they are relative to that players rig/amp/speakers FX etc)). The hard part is when to say - that's it - I don't want to change it any more (as the ADA MP1/2 are so versatile/adjustable).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up