ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Palm, Swamp Ash, Koa and Coconut ?? Guitar Pics  (Read 9055 times)

DorsetRatt

Hey Guys, this is my first attempt at any guitar pics ... ducks on a pond would have been much easier to do!!!

Sutch Siran Headless:
black palm neck and fingerboard, swamp ash body, hipshot bridge and headpiece, JB and Jazz pickups

« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

DorsetRatt

Re: Black Palm, Swamp Ash, Koa and Coconut ??
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Jackson Koa:
still need to decide on the pickups for this one, currently using EMG 85/SAV/85

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

DorsetRatt

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Coconut:
sometimes you find something that's just unplayable  :facepalm:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Well i must say that first guitar is something special !!!

BTW nice coconut  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey DR nice guitars  :thumb-up: , and +1 with MJMPs comment. The coconut reminds me of Bali, I stayed in a hotel in Ubud that had monkey carvings outside each room/bungalow and their "implement" was the ringer (pull out and wack (spank) the monkey) to get room service. Each one had it's own sound so the staff knew where to go...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MikeB

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Sometimes you find something that just plays itself.
I don't feel tardy!

DorsetRatt

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Lol, ta for the comments.

That coconut has caused me no end problems ... I originally bought it as a holiday souvenir for my mother, when she unwrapped it there was a complete sense of humour breakdown, and she handed it back to me  :facepalm:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Sometimes you find something that just plays itself.

Bwa hahahahahaha good one  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Lol, ta for the comments.

That coconut has caused me no end problems ... I originally bought it as a holiday souvenir for my mother, when she unwrapped it there was a complete sense of humour breakdown, and she handed it back to me  :facepalm:

Ooooow  :facepalm:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I suspect my mother would react similarly LoL

Hey Mike, how's the holiday ?

DorsetRatt

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Coconut to one side for the moment ...

Headless guitars seem to be a bit like "marmite", kind of a love/hate thing for guitarists. It took a while to get used to it, kept thinking that something was missing ... oh, that would be the headstock :)  I'd like to get a trem fitted to it at some point, something like a TransTrem if I can find one.

Any thoughts on pickups for the Jackson Koa? I think the tone needs to be a bit warmer/organic ... have tried a JB and a Fred which were OK, and a Suhr DSH+ which was much better.

Hey MJMP ... just found the pics of your Black/White flying V, really nice :thumb-up: Did you find the Duncan SH-5 bridge and SH-1 neck pickups to be a good choice?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, as others her know I'm a big fan of Utrasonics but they are hard to find these days. A Ref 6 in the Bridge, Ref 4 in the neck and a ref 3 (dingle coil shape) in the centre would give you the tone you are after. For warmer and organic I quite like the Gibson 57 re-issues, not the highest output but very nice and creamy. But there are soo many PUs to choose from. And so subjective.
I tried a SD JB bridge and Alnico neck initially in my Epiphone SG initially as the, while I like the original PUs, they were a bit microphonic. I found the SDs "ok", but not special, so went with the 57 re-issues, which I like allot. They particularly suite more blue/rock though, not sure how they'd go on heavier stuff.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP ... just found the pics of your Black/White flying V, really nice :thumb-up: Did you find the Duncan SH-5 bridge and SH-1 neck pickups to be a good choice?

Swapped the SH-5 with a TB-4,to much bass in the SH-5 for my taste,SH-1 is really good,happy with them.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Thank you both :thumb-up:

RNolan: I did a search on the Ultrasonics ... some suggest that they give a neutral response and allow the character of the wood to come through, rare as fish farts though. As for the Gibson pickups, 57 Classic or 57 Classic Plus?

PS ... What are these "dingle" coils? Is this an OZism? :))

MJMP: I've been considering the SH-5/SH-1 combination for a while now. There's a V sat in front of me at the moment but I'm really struggling with the bridge pickup, bit harsh (ice-picky) ... from the age of the V (1980'ish) I'm guessing the pickups are nickel covered T-Tops. I usually back the tone control all the way down to tame the high frequencies ... sounds quite nasal (wah like) running it like this. I hadn't considered a JB though ... I'll give this some thought.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, good on ya, I didn't know there were different model 57 re-issues  :facepalm: , according to the box it's a 57 classic and (I think, in the bridge of the SG) (Due to price being $299 AUD) they are a little cheaper now ? So When I bought the 2nd PU I asked for the same (not knowing about the classic vs classic plus) and what the box says it's a P94. Not that it sounds bad or anything but apparently the P94s' came in bridge and neck (reverse polarity) versions (which wasn't how it was sold to me, I just asked for a neck version of the 57, they said no difference just use the same, but not quite what I got..). Interestingly, I would never had looked except for this thread  :thumb-up: Now I have to pull it out to check  :facepalm: Oh well, the SG could use new strings and a setup....
The idea behind the Ultrasonics was as a reference series PU, nice and flat freq response (I'm sure not entirely flat LoL, it is a guitar PU after all). As in, most guit PUs are quite middy, these were designed to be a "better" balance (bass, mid, treb) and they are  >:D . Also very low noise (but still passive) and a range of outputs (ref: 1, 2, 3 (single (dingle :-)) coil size, ref 4, 5, 6 humbucker size), obviously bigger numbers = more output (e.g. my Anderson has Ref 6 and 2 x ref 3s'). SC helped me get a ref 3 from German evil bay, I put it in the neck of my Profile Tele, very nice  :whoohoo!: . They are rarer but there are still some around. You probably have to try, hear them to be as passionate as I am about them ??
Pages: [1]   Go Up