ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-2 Presence usage  (Read 4375 times)

vansinn

MP-2 Presence usage
« on: Time Format »

I have the feeling most of you, like me, in most presets up's the Presence in the 4-band stack by a healthy amount, and practically never down's it.
I'm thinking that whenever we up some EQ point, this potentially creates noise and could degrade the signal quality - which is of course a Bit over dramatized, as EQ's are there to be used ;)

Still.. I feel the MP-2 tube circuitry could be improved with a small beef-up in it's overall presence, to avoid up'ing the Presence too much for making it 'cut through the mix'.
I'm looking into adding the type of presence circuitry as is often found in tube amps, directly as part of the tube circuitry.
This would be a fixed presence boost, corresponding to, say, two clicks on the Presence parameter.

Now, the difference between the amp presence circuitry and a solid state presence EQ is that the amp version makes the presence appear more crispy, while the solid state presence merely up's this part of the frequency spectrum.

Do comment on the need, or practicality, of this.
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

Slimjim

• ADA Since 1987
    • YouTube
Re: MP-2 Presence usage
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I haven't done it in years, but we were instructed here at the forum how to ajd tiny dials near the tubes, after noise mod, and it changed some coloration...
Les Paul Traditional, ES-335 Lemonburst, Explorer 120, Ibanez UV77 SVR, Suhr PT Sig Std, Rickenbacker 620-12, ESP E-II M-II, Fender H.E.R. Stratocaster, Xaviere XV-900, Buscarino,  
Peavey Classic 50/50, Mesa Stereo 2:100, Marshall EL34 50/50, Marshall JMP, Victoria Sovereign, Victoria Victorilux
________
Sound Sculpture Switchblade GL (x2), Eventide Orville, Eventide H8000fw, TC Electronic 1210, Great River MP2-NV, Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4, Dave Hill Designs Europa 1(x2), UK Sound 1173
_______
Fireface UC, Fireface UFX, Hosa Format Converters
______
Fishman Tripleplay, Spectrasonics Keyscape, Omnisphere, Italo DeAngelis Sound Library
_____
Surface Pro 4, FL Studio 20, EZD2.0, Fabfilter ProQ2, Gullfoss, Waves CLA-3A, CLA-2A, CLA-76, API-2500, SSL G-Series Comp

vansinn

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Oh? I don't seem to recall [info on tube board trimmers], and yet.. mmnn.. must be related to deteriorating cells at the upper floor..
Where can this be found?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Van, presence is a very interesting area and used in the guitar context a little differently (maybe) than general audio. E.g. sm57s/58s have a presence hump built into them to "cut" through the mix (and to some extent that's how it's used in guitar context but not totally (if you get what I mean ?).  So basically presence is a 5 or 6khz (notchy) area, as as you say, boosted (rarely cut)).  So this is in the area our ears are most sensitive, thus helps things "cut" through a mix. But it's more (seems to me anyway) with guitar tones, and again as you say, depends where it's applied..
The other thing to keep in mind with eq (as yes it's there to use) is to keep your gain structure, if you add a bit consider taking away a bit.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

van,

Rigs vary, for sure, but my Presence is usually flat. Or, I have my Pres on +2 and the Treble flat or cut 1 or 2 notches. Apparently, my rig or my guitars are a bit too trebly. I like a darker sound, without the wool, but with a big bottom end. Now, my classic rock patches usually have a flat eq, possibly with a raised midrange. That cuts (for me).

YMMV

vansinn

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

@Nolan: I agree, and would comment that I do use subtractive filtering, i.e. taking something off the grid rather than constantly up'ing too many other ranges.
Interestingly, this is the same going on in photography, i.e. using a dark panel to suck away light on one side of the model to add more contrast, rather than ry to add more and more light to the other side.

@Dante: Indeed, and I do like my [distortion] tone a Bit on the aggressive side of things, while I generally prefer my cleans to be nicely open and rounded - except for pop rhythm works, which does not at all make it any easier reaching a balanced sound scape.
Guess I forgot to say I just love Marty Friedman's very juicy sound.. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up