Let's Get Technical > All PREAMP Tech Tips & Support

MDRT heat

(1/3) > >>

Rusty:
Hi folks,  Just want to ask a question about heat from the MDRT transformer I have in my 3TM,

The MDRT feels pretty hot after playing for about 30 minutes or so, I took the lid off to touch it and yea it gets very hot, especially the metal laminate core, its almost un-touchable. Is that normal to produce so much heat with an MDRT as I'm a bit concerned about it?

Everything else is normal and the sound doesn't change.

Thanks.

rnolan:
I have MDRTs in my MB1s, I'll test next time I fire one up and also ask MikeB as he has one in his MP1.  MJMP will be able to give you are more unequivocal answer but I expect it's normal and nothing to be concerned about.  MP2s get very hot on top and it's never been a problem in all the years I've gigged with mine (as do B200s  >:D ).  I did have some minor issues with fade when I had one of my MP2s on top of the MB1 (or was it MB1 on top of MP2  :dunno: ), they were just sitting in the angle studio rack though, not bolted in so no gap between them.

MarshallJMP:
Normally an MDRT hooked up to a 3TM with the lid off get's to around 36-38 °C (depending on the room temp).

For the rest it depends where you put the mp-1 in, the cooling it gets etc... but it can stand at least 50°C.

Rusty:
Thanks for the replys guys,
I'm thinking I might drill some holes on the lids and get some more extra air moving.

rnolan:
Well you could do that, how do you have it mounted ? You really shouldn't need to drill more holes, not that they will hurt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version