ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tubes  (Read 5202 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Tubes
« on: Time Format »

Hi I have a question about tubes.  I don't know when my MP1 last had it tubes tested, is there any possible way I can find out of they are ready for the bin?  They don't glow too much and because I have never had an MP1 before I may npot be able to tell there is anything up with them know what I mean?

Also what are on offer in regards to tube choices?  Is there any kind of list that details what qualities certain tube types and brands offer?  This would be useful, well may be that's a stupid idea but I know I'd find that helpful.

I read JJ's referred to alot on here and also stumbled upon somneone saying there were hi gain JJ's?  I have one of these at home - any use to me?

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Tubes
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

It's normall that the tubes in the mp-1 don't glow a lot,this is because the heater voltage is actually to low,9Vdc and it should be 12.6Vdc.

As for brands well this is a personal choice,i like Ruby labelled JJ's but other people like other brands.

WickedBlade

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

IIRC I have fit my MP-1 with one such 12AX7-EH (made by Sovtek for EHX) and one TAD RT-001 (latest generation Chinese tubes). The TAD is higer gain and the EH tamed the fizz to a level I like.
No 2 persons will have the same tastes though, so just try those EH of ours, if you're satisfied then perfect, otherwise do try others.

FWIW I tried the JJ and didn't like them at all. That doesn't mean they're bad, they just didn't work for me and my choice of power amp and speakers.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks guy's

I heard EHX do get rid of fizz.  I had another piece of gear that had a tube in it and the tube people recommended was that EHX one which is why I bought it, however I'm selling my Zoom g5 as good as it is.

Marshall, do JJ's do others apart from the ruby labelled tubes?  Just curious.

Is it ok then to mix brands? Like one of each kind (or 3 if I do the 3TM - and you KNOW I WILL)

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

My second MP2 came with EH tubes, best thing I did was change them out, they were very ordinary IMHO.  You can mix and match brands for various reasons, I don't bother but others here have to get the sound they want.  As WB said there's no right opinion on tube choice, it totally subjective.  However, there are lots of discussions here on various tube choices, and MJMP posted some good advice for 3TM should you go that path (IIRC he like matched short plate JJs).
Of note, many tube brands are just tested and re-badged tubes from various manufacturers (e.g. Ruby JJs, Boogie STRs are mostly JJs, Groove Tubes can be various, EH tends to be sovteks etc).  New Sensor (US company) bought the rights to a bunch of famous brands, Mullard (my favourite), Tung Sol etc and get reissues made (mostly the Reflector factory in Russia).
When to change is up to you, IIRC ADA recommend 2 years in MP1 and 6 months for MP2 however my experience MP1/2 with the original tubes (Chinese bottles (just has 12AX7 in red on the tube, no brand so if yours are like that they are probably the original tubes and need changing)) is they lasted a long time.  They do degrade over time but very slowly so you don't tend to notice.
MJMP changes his 3TM tubes every couple of months to keep them sounding how he likes it.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

thanks rnolan.  I also read through your post about tubes in the "tubes section"  very informative.

Perhaps my mp1 has it's stock tubes still in there?  I was thinking of trying the Mullard Reissue CV4004 12AX7 Tubes.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I just saw your email,and these are not the original tubes,altough the ones you have in there are Chinese tubes and the original ones (altough later on) where also Chinese tubes.

I buy Ruby JJ's because Ruby does some good testing (with warranty),original JJ's can be tricky sometimes,i mean i never buy off the shelf JJ's because usually these are rejected tubes from Ruby or GT,so not top quality.I like these because they have a more midrange sound which is ideal in a high gain amp so it won't get muddy.But again that my opinion and my sound taste.

There's no problem in mixing tubes.Just be carefull with EH's in a 3TM,they tend to fail a lot in the 3TM for some obscure reason.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The short plate Mullards will go well from all accounts and a little less microphonic than the long plates (possibly ?).  I agree with MJMPs experience with the JJs, I liked the Boogie STRs (who also do good testing like Ruby and GT) in my MP1 and I recently put in a new set of STRs for my mate MikeB who has my original MP1, was listening to it last night at rehearsals in my lounge room, it sounded sweet and tight like I remember it and now he has hi TC Gmaj in parallel (with Art Splitmix) instead of chaining through it, his sound is great.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up