ADA Preamps > MB-1

MB1 rig is growing

<< < (5/6) > >>

rnolan:
Hey Van.The Mullards are also high gain tubes, similar to the JJs in that area.  I just went for 2 the same but if you wanted to mix and match, MikeB is using the Mullard short plate in V1 and Boogie SPAX7 (JJ) in V2 in his MP1 which is working for him.  In a bass context (MB1) I'd probably consider going the other way around ? I haven't changed out the tubes in my 2nd MB1 yet so I could play with this idea a bit, or use the Alembic stereo out and run one MB1 with JJs and the other with Mullards  >:D (well it's sort of stereo on the bass, you get one PU per channel).  This I'm yet to try, apparently it really opens up the sound (according to some on the Alembic forum).

Peter H. Boer:

--- Quote from: vansinn on July 08, 2016, 11:58:34 AM ---Peter,
IIRC, you're usually, or used to be, using JJ high-gain tuber in your MB-1, isn't that so?
When combining those with others, like the long plates discussed above, I'm curious about the order: JJ->longplate or the reverse?
I have no long-plates at hand for testing, so..

--- End quote ---
Well I'm using 2 JJ high gains in my live rig and never tried combining 2 different types.

The studio rig has NOS Phillips, nut here the MB-1 is used only on the tube channel and only grind and distortion.
My clean sound comes from the TL-Audio VP5051 that has been modified to normal plate voltage (not the stock semi starved plate voltage) which uses 4 tubes (preamp, compressor + 2* EQ)

--- Quote from: vansinn on July 08, 2016, 11:58:34 AM ---Sound-wise I would expect having the long-plate last-most would yield the best tone; however, there's also this thing called distortion.. ;)

--- End quote ---
As stated I do use distortion :). And also in the live rig, as there the SS channel is added to keep a solid bottom  :thumb-up:

rnolan:
I haven't tried my TL-Audio 5001 (hybrid tube preamp) with the Alembic yet as I've been focusing on the MB1s.  I used it with the musicman sub when I first set it up for our (then) bass player.  Very nice clean tone into the studio monitors.  I also have a Focusrite Platinum Penta stereo compressor which IIRC I also used back then as part of that setup ??

Hey Peter, what tubes are you using in the VP5051 ?

Peter H. Boer:

--- Quote from: rnolan on July 11, 2016, 04:34:16 AM ---Hey Peter, what tubes are you using in the VP5051 ?

--- End quote ---
NOS Mullards

rnolan:
So last night I tried an idea I'd been mulling over (egged on by Mike).  Since I have both MB1 and MP2 in my hybrid rack/rig I tried using the MP2 on the Alembics bridge PU and MB1 on the neck (well on the SC brown it's more in the middle than neck). Both Preamps go into the 8 ch mixer -> DCM200L -> 2 x Mesa P112 cabs.  Wow, what an amazing sound.  So the MB1 giving a nice clean bass sound and the MP2 on a medium distorted guitar patch (my rhythm patch).  The Alembic has a "stereo" mode where the each PU goes to one channel (L/R) so it's easy to send the PUs to different preamps.  They then combine in the mixer, add quadverb and midiverb4.  Very interesting sound.  I can control the distorted to clean mix with the PU vols (and/or the channel faders). I haven't played around with MP2 (bass  >:D ) patches yet but the idea worked well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version