ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chorus issues (sounds more like Flanger)  (Read 8380 times)

xdiaba

• It's easier to understand than to be understood

Hi all, two days ago my dist patches with chorus start sounded flanged don't know why, any comments are welcome. :thumb-up:
Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Fender Stratocaster American Standard 1978 , Suhr DA bridge SD Stacks.
Gibson Les Paul Custom 2009
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Matrix GT1000FX Power Amp
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Chorus issues (sounds more like Flanger)
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I get similar when I use a stereo cab as the speakers phase cancel a bit inside the box.  But if it's just started and nothing else has changed  :dunno:

So with chorus, you select a small delay time (< 40ms) (depth), and modulate (slightly pitch shift) the delayed note (rate)

Flange you also modulate (sweep) the delay.  So maybe the delay in the chorus is moving ?? just a guess.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

xdiaba

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks rnolan,

This started happening when I change my power amp from stereo to parallel mode (both channels bridged). now it came back to stereo mode and works better; as you suggested someday, I use both mp1 outputs to my Matrix Gt1000fx power amp inputs.

I have 3 weeks trying to find Mr Big first album tone, it has a lot of chorus, thing I'm closed to get it. (Deph 23 - Rate 0.5)

If you have a patch setting suggestion I will appreciate it.
Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey xdiaba, bridging the channels will cause similar phase cancellations as I get in the stereo wired ADA split cab (2 x 12) (albeit electrically as opposed to acoustically). Actually, you've stumbled on an interesting way of making a subtle flange LoL (combine A and B outs), I suspect it sounds a bit hollow though ??).

Ahh Mr Big, Lean Into It is a favourite of mine.  I used to play Green Tinted 60s in a band but I was using MP-2 by then (FWIW my old rhythm patch (now my over the top lead patch) posted in MP-2 patches worked reasonably well).  There's a bunch of Paul Gilbert MP-1 patches in the MP-1 patch area, I haven't tried them as I use MP-2 so not sure how they sound  :dunno: , also so many variables in a rig but they may give you some clues as to chorus settings ? I think he had a reasonably simple rig but I really don't know, he may have had other interesting jiggery pokery going on, that said it doesn't sound like it was too complicated and IIRC, I didn't have much trouble getting the MP-2 to sound similar.  Allot of PGs tone comes from his fingers (as with most guitarists, myself included), I like him allot  :thumb-up: , great player IMHO.

Mmm My Kinda Woman (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA40OsvEFO8), what a song  :whoohoo!: , I worked out bits of that just for fun... nice guitar (nice chorus  >:D ). Wow I just listened to it (first time in a while) the chorus is awesome..  I'm guessing here, but a rate of 0.5 makes sense, you may  :dunno: need a little more depth than 23 ?  I used to run my MP-1 (back in the day) with depth 100 and rate 0 just to get the nice fattening short delay.

xdiaba

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

"Actually, you've stumbled on an interesting way of making a subtle flange LoL (combine A and B outs), I suspect it sounds a bit hollow though ??)." ---> the best inventions were discovered by accident  :lol: :facepalm:

Lean into it album sounds much more like hard rock than the first one (less chorus also), the first album is close to heavy metal... my favorite ones from this album are Blame it on my youth and How con you do what you do. From Lean into it album... D.B.L and LB (obviously), CDFF Lucky this time and my favorite one... Road to Ruin.  :bow:

On another subject, I have my gmajor 2 connected to the mp1 loop, the effects sounds smooth except the modulations (so ironic), while I'm using flanger sounds like plag! plag! (I hope you could imagine plag! sound in your head :lol:)  happen the same with gmajor chorus. Probably is because the unit is too old or something is broken inside, honestly don't know.

Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Mmm, Lean into it was the first one I heard (20 ish years ago), I must listen to the earlier stuff.

plag plag works for me LoL (as in I can sort of imagine it sonically). This sounds like gain structure issues  :dunno: , digital distortion  :dunno: , something not quite right in the modulation circuit ??

Have you tried just chaining through the GMaj2 (MP-1 A/B > GM2 L/R in, L/R out > amp).  This also gives you stereo Fx mmmmm.  If it still sounds plag plag then I suspect something is not quite right in the unit.
The MP-1 loop can be a bit tricky (I've heard, I've never used it as I always used a small desk and ran Fx of Aux send/returns).  I know MJMP isn't fond of it, though others use it with reasonable success. The Mp-1 loop uses a dual ganged (opposing) pot for level control.  This is to allow it to adjust for inst level (stomp pedals) OR line level devices (eg your GMaj2).  So turning the pot up increases the Fx send level and decreases the Fx return, you then have to balance your GM2 input and output levels to match for unity gain (what goes in volts wise is what comes out volts wise (albeit changed in sound)).

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Ahhh....Mr. Big,

I used to play Addicted To That Rush and Wind Me Up back in '89 with a cover band I was in back then. Unfortunately, that is the album where Paul Gilbert had just transitioned from ADA to Metaltronix amps. He used the MP-1 and Pitchtraq on the Racer X stuff before that.

I think a couple of the Gilbert presets could be modified slightly to get close to that tone though. Paul's guitar tone didn't change that much at that point in time.

IIRC, I think I set my chorus depth around 30-40, (I believe it might have been 40), and the rate @ 1.2. It's been a long time since I did any of those songs.

Harley 8)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

xdiaba

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hi guys,

I didn't tried to connect it directly (Ada - Gmajor - Poweramp) will do it today to see if works, however, the fact to know the signal will pass through another chip (gmajor) makes me feel uncomfortable, don't know why.   :-\

rnolan, seriously, if you haven't heard the first Mr. Big album you are far to be a real MB fan, In my opinion is better than Lean into it.

Harley, thanks for the information, will try to increase chorus values today to see how it sounds.

Just a technical question, Are the tubes have relation with the chorus? I mean, if tubes are not ok could be affect the chorus?.

Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

As for the tech question, depends on what voicing you are, the SS clean doesn't use tubes so you can always compare a SS clean with a tube clean setting with chorus on.

MikeB

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I didn't tried to connect it directly (Ada - Gmajor - Poweramp) will do it today to see if works, however, the fact to know the signal will pass through another chip (gmajor) makes me feel uncomfortable, don't know why.   :-\

Using the Gmajor in the loop means that this is happening anyway.  The loop is serial so whatever the Gmajor is sending back is what you've got.  I run my Gmajor2 between the mp1 and the power amp in stereo and it sounds great.  Having said that, I really don't like the Gmajor2 flanger.  It could just be that you agree with me.
I don't feel tardy!

xdiaba

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Thanks MarshallJMP, good point.  :thumb-up:

Mike, asume you've already tried in both ways and realized in series works better for you, I will try this setting to see how it works.

About gmajor flanger... yes, it sucks! (flanger works a lot better in front). The gmajor adv. flanger is awful, the classic sounds even worst.
Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab
Pages: [1]   Go Up