ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ciao from Sicily  (Read 7238 times)

Micky

Ciao from Sicily
« on: Time Format »

Hi to everyone, I'm Micky from Catania, Sicily.

I'm a giutarist and I own an ADA MP-1 since 1998 (and I love it).

My setup is:

-Kramer Paul Dean
-Ada
     -Alesis Midiverb IV in the loop, parallel connection using a small in-line mixer
-Peavey Classic 50/50
-Engl Cabinet 212
Kramer Paul Dean
ADA MP-1
Lexicon LXP-1
Alesis Midiverb IV
Peavey Classic 50/50
Engl 2x12

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Ciao from Sicily
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Welcome Micky!

MP-1 + Midiverb + Peavey Classic = Brutal Rig

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi Micky, welcome  :wave:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Micky

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Welcome Micky!

MP-1 + Midiverb + Peavey Classic = Brutal Rig

I'm thinking to put in the chain an "old" Lexicon LXP-1, only for reverb, between the MP-1 and the Classic, not in the loop, using the Alesis for delay, pitch and flanger
Kramer Paul Dean
ADA MP-1
Lexicon LXP-1
Alesis Midiverb IV
Peavey Classic 50/50
Engl 2x12

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Micki welcome to the depot!

Micky

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Thanks to you all
Kramer Paul Dean
ADA MP-1
Lexicon LXP-1
Alesis Midiverb IV
Peavey Classic 50/50
Engl 2x12

RandallRG

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Mickey hey Dude & Welcome to the Depot!!!  :metal:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I'm thinking to put in the chain an "old" Lexicon LXP-1, only for reverb, between the MP-1 and the Classic, not in the loop, using the Alesis for delay, pitch and flanger

Hey Micky, That should work fine, adjust the LXPs in and outs to be unity gain (what comes in goes out volts wise).
What the configuration of your small mixer ?

Micky

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

What the configuration of your small mixer ?

Hi Rnolan, I bought this:

http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/mini_mixers/product/splitmix4/

It is a splitter/mixer; from ADA send to Art input and from Art output to ADA return ( ;D ). Then from Art output 1 to Midiverb in and from Midiverb out to Art input 2. Don't know the internal connections of Art but, in this configuration, knobs 1 and 2 control the wet signal "to" and "from" Midiverb (obviously) while 3 and 4 the dry signal, also whitout wire connection between 3 and 4.
Kramer Paul Dean
ADA MP-1
Lexicon LXP-1
Alesis Midiverb IV
Peavey Classic 50/50
Engl 2x12

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Micky, VERY Cool unit  :thumb-up: so from what I can see/read at that link I would try patching it MP1 A/B outs > Art Splitter Input, Art 1 out to Midverb ins (L/R), Art 2 out to LXP ins (L/R) then Midiverb outs (L/R) to Art input 3 and LXP outs (L/R) to Art input 4, Art Mixer out to power amp (L/R) inputs.  Adjust in/out gain and wet/dry mix accordingly on Midiverb and LXP.
This setup would require a bunch of 1/4" stereo (Tip Ring Sleeve (TRS)) to 2 x 1/4" mono (Tip Sleeve (TS)) jacks (typically used as insert leads in studio or PA applications so you can buy them or make them (TRS tip to mono jack1 tip, TRS ring to mono jack 2 tip, TRS sleeve to both mono jack sleeves)).  This patching needs 6 insert leads and takes advantage of the Arts all stereo inputs and outputs.  The stereo jacks plug into the various Art inputs and outputs and their respective mono jacks into the inputs or outputs of the 4 devices (MP1, Midiverb, LXP, power amp).  This setup should give you everything in stereo.  You can probably use Art inputs 1 and 2 for the stereo returns from Midiverb and LXP (not sure would have to experiment or see the schematic, although, thinking about it it would work). An alternate patching might be: 2 x insert leads (MP1 A/B > Art in, Art out > power amp ins L/R) and use standard mono patch cables between Art <> Midiverb and Art <> LXP (this would use all 4 Art ins/outs as well as the Art main in/out). With both above patchings you have to do the wet/dry mix in both the Midiverb and LXP.
Or another (probably (definitely) the best) alternative: MP1 to Art splitter in and Art 1 out to Art 1 mixer in (stereo cable TRS <> TRS (maybe you don't need to cross connect this ? if the dry input signal (Art splitter in) is internally patched to the Art outs that are not used/plugged into then you don't)) this is then MP1 dry signal, Art 2 out to Midiverb ins (TRS <> 2 x TS), Midiverb outs to Art 2 mixer in (2 x TS <> TRS), Art 3 out to LXP ins, LXP outs to Art3 mixer in and Art mixer out to power amp ins (TRS <> 2 x TS). So Art 1 vol is MP1 dry, Art 2 vol is Midiverb and Art 3 vol is LXP and both Midiverb and LXP can (should) be set to full wet and Art vol 4 turned off (as it will also be MP1 dry if I'm right about the internal patching).

How much do the Art splitmix4s cost ? You can run up to 3 stereo effects (or mono in stereo out gadgets or mono gadgets) this way and keep the analogue signal pure and all in stereo. Very versatile unit.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Micky, the one down side I that occurred to me later was that in the last patch option above, the Midiverb output wouldn't be sent through the LXP, so if you wanted it to be, then keep the Midiverb in the MP1 loop.

Micky

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hi Rnolan, thanks for the suggestions  :thumb-up:
First of all have to find the LXP.
I remember the Art was about 50€
Kramer Paul Dean
ADA MP-1
Lexicon LXP-1
Alesis Midiverb IV
Peavey Classic 50/50
Engl 2x12

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Yeah I checked the Art out here, the Australian distributor wants $99 AUD for one.  The guy I sold my MP1 rig to is going to pick one up so his TC G-Major is mixed in with his signal.  If you use the last patch suggestion but leave out the LXP (coz you haven't found it yet ?) the Midiverb will work and sound much better than in the loop because it's now all stereo.  And if you place the LXP between the Art outs and the sound card, it would work well and then give you a nice reverb on the whole sound.

Micky

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hi Rnolan, I bought the LXP-1! I think to get it next week.
I was considering the last option and there's a problem: using a channel as output you can't use it also as input, like a send return, I don't know why; 4 out/in become only 2 channels (I have to explore better these connections).
So the question is: what about the dry signal inside LXP? If there's no A/D D/A conversion (like an Intellifex whitout hush) don't need a parallel connection and could put it between the ART and the Peavey, using the ART only for the Midiverb (necessary, because of the A/D D/A conversion not "transparent").
If the dry signal is converted I hope the result is not bad as the Midiverb.
Kramer Paul Dean
ADA MP-1
Lexicon LXP-1
Alesis Midiverb IV
Peavey Classic 50/50
Engl 2x12

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Micky, good to hear your LXP is on the way.  You need to turn the splitter into 8in/out by using stereo (TRS) connector for all the connections to from the Art.  Each of the Art channels are stereo if you use a stereo jack or mono if you use standard mono patch leads.  To plug into the Midiverb and LXP ins/outs they are all mono jacks so you need 2 x stereo jack to 2 mono jack leads for each device.  The tip of the stereo jack is wired to the tip of the first mono jack, the ring is wired to the tip of the second mono jack and the ground is common (sleeve of the stereo jack is wired to the slave of both the first and second mono jacks).  So then you need to decide stereo jack tip is left (for example) and ring is right thus first mono jack plugs into the left channel of the device and second mono jack into the right channel.  Thus for both units you only use 2 Art channels.  To get the MP1 signal into the Art in stereo you need the another double mono jack to stereo jack (ie MP1 A into first mono jack (MP1 left ch) and MP1 B into second mono jack (MP1 right ch)) and then stereo jack into Art splitter input (this makes MP1 in stereo available to each splitter out in stereo (but you must use stereo jacks in/out of the Art)).  The above gives you MP1 dry on 2 art channels and Midiverb and LXP on one Art channel each.  However, the Midiverb out is not available to the LXP in this config. So placing the LXP between the Art and Peavey makes sense as it will then get the MP1 dry and Midiverb mixed in.  You need to use a stereo to double jack (Art mixer out to LXP L/R ins) to keep the stereo the , LXP outs to Peavey.  It's not clear in the LXP manual (http://adn.harmanpro.com/product_documents/documents/1055_1340211306/LXP1_original.pdf) what A/D D/A is used or if the dry signal is an analogue pass through but it should sound fine.  So this way the Art will be 3 MP1 dry channels and one for the Midiverb.  Note it's important to use the stereo to double mono leads for the Art ins/outs or it won't be stereo.  Sorry, a bit long winded  :D but I hope it makes sense, cheers Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up