ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20  (Read 14225 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Yeah that what I mean.

BTW none of those dealers carry either something for pc or cubase.

That's bizarre, Logickeyboard lists them as dealers for their products. :dunno:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Yeah that's Belgium.That's why I never order anything over here, I usually order my stuff in the Netherlands or Germany.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

That would be frustrating as hell.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

UPDATE:

Okay, I have everything installed and hooked up, and I tried a preliminary recording run through with one of my rigs and did a few tracks to see how it sounds. For a first run at it, not too bad!
    I have to experiment with mic placement with my SM-57, but I'm getting the feeling that I might also need to invest in a Royer 121.
    Overall, I think I made the right choice with the Focusrite 18i20. The British certainly know a thing or two about recording equipment! It's a great little unit with a lot of potential. Very Neutral in it's recording quality, so what you put in is what you get out. It's got me thinking about adding a bit more to it like Mic Pre-amps, Passive EQ's, and a vactrol Compressor, and above all, better microphones! There's a lot of potential here that I didn't think I would have with a PC based recording setup. (It's a hard transition from old school recording to the new way of recording when you know the fidelity of the old school ways)!
   Next on the agenda: combining live mic placement with direct recording to get the truest recording of the actual sounds I'm hearing in the open room. I also think a bit of room treatment is in order here, so I'll keep you updated.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I was given a pair of Rode NT 5s a while ago, they are a very nice (and small) condenser, sounded very good on the cab (and also very versatile).  I also bought a Chinese EV RE320 ($280 AUD ish), it's a cheaper version of the EV RE20 (arguably the best dynamic mic ever) and has a nice bass drum switch (which is what I typically use it for, but it would work really well on cabs). Anyway as you know there are lots of mics to pick from...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Oh yeah Richard,

There are a ga-ZILLION mics out there these days, and it would be impossible to name them all. I don't know about the NT 5's but one that I am looking at is the NTK, that seems to be a good mic at an attractive price. Some other mics I have my eye on are these:

Sennheiser MD 441 U --- a mic I've used in studios in the past and it's awesome!
    Telefunken CU-29
    Telefunken M80
    Shure SM-52
    AKG C414
    Neumann TLM 103
    Royer R-121
    Lauten Audio LA-320

There are a few more 'must have' mics that I'll probably get next like three more SM-57's. They are hard to beat.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Absolutely Harley, and as you say, hard to go past the old reliable 57 (which is still my favourite snare mic).
The ones I've use from your list:
The Senni MD 421 is also worth looking out for (very hi SPL handling), and there are more of them around than the 441 (which is basically a weather proof version of the 421  :dunno: ), word of warning with both of these though, (you may have come across already ??) is they often break where the clip slots into the mic (nice idea, not very robust  :facepalm: ) ahh gaph tape is your friend (again lol).
The AKG C414 is also a mic I'm familiar with, very nice mic IMHO.

The Rode mics are made in Australia, Swiss guy came here years ago....  they sell more overseas than domestically (well there's only 22 mil people in Australia). Great mics at very reasonable prices (particularly for how good they are).  I also have a Rode NT1, kind of Neumann U87 equivalent (but better IMHO and allot cheaper..), it's great for lots of things but particularly vocals.

Anyway, as you say, there are a gazillion to pick from...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hi Richard,

Yes I know about that issue with the 441-U, but since I would only want it for studio use, it should be fine. I've used those a lot in the past.
   I know Rode mics are made in your neck of the woods. I looked into the NT1, and it's a Solid State mic. Very reasonably priced too. But I'm looking for tube dynamics and warmth, so that's what has me looking at the NTK. That should come a bit closer to the U 87, and since $3600.00 is out of my price range, that's why I'm looking into these alternatives.
   The CU-29 can get one aspect of the Telefunken U 47, but for a fraction of the price. I could always pick up a NT1 later on just to give it a go.

There are a lot of mics out there but some I wouldn't use if you paid me. Blue mics are one of them. The sales guy I'm dealing with at Sweetwater has one, and he told me he only uses it if he has nothing left. And, I wouldn't waste my time with any of the USB mics, especially the condensers.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I have a Rode NT2a very happy with it, very good mic.Also have audix mics for drums, a few D2,D4,D6,i5 and ADX51 condensers.The i5 works very well together with the SM57.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Who makes the i5?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Audix   http://www.audixusa.com/index-15.shtml

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

That's a very interesting mic. I looked at a few other Audix mics, but not that one.
  That's why I was looking at the Royer Labs R-121. It's a large ribbon mic that works well with the SM-57 when mic'ing guitar cabs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up