ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presets available  (Read 7045 times)

anto84

Presets available
« on: Time Format »

Hi, I'm just became an Mp1 Classic owner..I have two questions for you experts:

Are the original Mp1 presets settings usable on the Classic too?
I tryed to program some presets on the Classic copyng the ones I found online originally intended for the the mp1 (like the gilbert/bettencourt/wagener presets) but now I don't know if the mp1 and the classic are basically the same soundin unit with noise improvement and the brown channel added.. I noticed, howewer, that original mp1 has an eq range db from -18 to 18 while classi goes only to +12. So if an mp1 preset say bass +16..my classic can go only to +12

By the way I'm not able to find more than 5-6 user presets for the Classic...someone could share his own?
 :metal:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Presets available
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey anto84, well congrats on getting a classic  :thumb-up: and welcome to the depot  :wave: . All the ADA preamps are individual beasts, there are similarities and differences. If you haven't tripped over it yet you can find some patch settings for the classic here (http://adadepot.com/index.php?board=31.0). The MP1 patches won't be the same as the classic, as they aren't for MP2.  The classic (seems to me) is a development point between the MP1 and MP2 and very much a thing unto itself (and IIRC Dantes go to preamp so he (and others) can add more).

Having been a MP1 and now MP2 owner of many years, I've found that it's good to start with a patch (factory or otherwise) and dial it in to "your" taste/guitar gear etc (highly recommend you do this at stage volume BTW, not in the bedroom, then you can turn it down if required). I refined my MP1 patches over many years and gigs.  But my staring point was factory sound 1 (Marshall). So i'd suggest (as well as trying Dante's or others classic patches), load the factory presets, try them, copy to blank spot and fiddle till your happy (the hard part is when to stay stop, it's a keeper LoL).  Remember that if you run up a patch someone else uses, keep it in context, they have developed the patch with their particular setup (guit, poweramp, FXs, speakers). For example I know Dante runs up different patches for each guitar as it's makes so much difference.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

anto84

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi and thanks for the answer!
I went to the dante's thread but I found just one patch written there..my mistake?
I owned an original Mp1 many years ago but having used only at "bedroom" level I can't say for now If the orignal one or the Classic is my favourite. What can I say is that the Classic is 100 times less noisier...
I'm using it with a Peavey classic 50/50 tube amp.
I read different suggestions about using the mp1 (classic or not) with a valve poweramp. Some say to keep the poweramp volume from 5 to 10 than reach the desired whole rig volume level from the mp1 output knob (at the end mp1 out knob will be a lot lower that the one on the poweramp).
Other people instead run their mp1 with the output knob at max level..
« Last Edit: Time Format by anto84 »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Well live I tend to run my power amp (currently Carvin TS100, previously ADA B200s) at about 3/4 and the input level (MP1/2 output) where ever it needs to be to be the right level for the situation. The power amps that work best with ADA preamps are very clean and transparent (much the same as PA amps). Should the power amp be SS or Tube ?, tubes are faster and better for audio signals than SS, but need output transformers (lots more weight) and generate more heat. They do add some warmth (though very subtle) and they also have so much more stored power so 50 w a side is plenty unless your on a huge stage. The peavey classic 50/50 is a good choice and should work well, I wouldn't run it under 1/2 so it can breathe and with a drummer in the room, 3/4 to full ... And just adjust the classic output to suit. Running the preamp out at max and turning down the poweramp is bad gain structure and silly, it will work but will add noise, however, if you needed to run the preamp and poweramp at full  >:D , it will cope  :thumb-up: (though your ears may not LoL)
Are you running in stereo ? Makes a huge difference BTW.
Yeah I checked Dantes classic patch post, it seems he hasn't gotten around to posting his patches yet  :facepalm: , but we'll remind him  :thumb-up: . I've never used a classic but IIRC they have some good additions from MP1, the cab sim outs for direct recording are (I think) the same (or the precursor) as my MP2s, very usable  :banana: . And also the stereo parallel FX loop (a huge improvement).

rickeb1

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The peavey classic 50/50 is a good choice and should work well, I wouldn't run it under 1/2 so it can breathe

I am currently using a Peavey Classic 50/50, and these words of advice improved my tone immensely!  For whatever reason, I've always run the power amp at a low volume and the preamp fairly high.  After I saw Richard's remark, I turned the power amp up to 1/2 and slowly brought up the volume on the preamp until I got the desired volume.  Much better tone and clarity!  I keep learning so much from you guys here on the forum - thanks Richard!

~Rick

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Rick, no worries, much better gain structure that way  :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I went to the dante's thread but I found just one patch written there..my mistake?

Sorry about that, I kinda got sidetracked. I'll post some for you, no worries. I'm running mine through an ADA MT-200 and into some clean sounding cabinets, YMMV with your gear.

UPDATE: I posted a few more patches in there..have a look and share your own
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
Pages: [1]   Go Up