ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MP 1 and tubes! Which ones, and why  (Read 32488 times)

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: MP 1 and tubes! Which ones, and why
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

I've had a few Mullard RI's in my MP-1, Groove Tubes, (12AX7M), and the New Sensor Mullards, and found the New Sensor to not have as much punch as the GTs. I have found a pair of NOS Mullards, made in Great Britain, but they are very expensive. I am considering it though, since the MP-1 really came to life with those GTs in it.

Harley 8)

I had a couple of 7025/12AX7A GT Tubes in my previous, old 1.38 MP-1 many years ago.
I bought it from a friend who replaced original tubes with some chinese PM tubes...
They were not so bad, but GTs were better.

So, you prefer GTs to Mullards RI in MP-1?

I've some more results from my tests...

1) TAD 7025 Highgrade in V1 is a real WINNER: very good gain, punch, low noise, firm basses and very good overall detail
2) TungSol 12AX7 is not so bad in V2 combined with TAD 7025 in V1, but is not so good in V1...less gain and flat tone...
3) TAD 7025s Highgrade in V2 has very good gain and low noise, but basses are too "gummy" and confused, specially with high gain settings (I paid about 20 euros for it some years ago...and now TAD sells that tube for more than 50 euros... :facepalm:)
4) a 5751 in V2, combined with TAD 7025 in V1, is a very good solution...good tones....but slightly less gain, of course
5) the chinese tube from the Zoom 9150 looks like original MP-1 tubes but it doesn't have the same sound and tone...similar, ok...but not the same at all
6) the best combination is still the TAD 7025 in V1 with an original 12AX7A chinese tube in V2: very good gain, not so noisy, very detailed sound, perfect basses, thick 3-D sound

I cannot wait to test a TAD 12AX7A-C in V2...

About NOS Mullards...an average price is 180-200 euros for 2 of them...  :facepalm:
Too much, IMHO.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, I haven't had a chance to try the LPs in MP-1 myself yet, both SC and Harley have.  Harley likes them IIRC but had some issues with their longevity (not been a problem for me in MP-2 which is a much higher gain preamp than MP-1). You can get them here (http://tubeaudio.com.au/mullard-12ax7) for $30AUD (~ 22 Euros).
Lately I've been playing bass with the band and mostly using the MB-1 in my studio rack (but a couple of loud plays with my live (hybrid MP-2/MB-1) rack.  The MB-1 in my live rack has LPs in it  >:D , as does my first (original) MP-2 (actually all my (4) MP-2s have LPs  :thumb-up: ).  Mike has been using my live rig a rehearsals as his GMaj2 blew a fuse (and then a replacement fuse). IMO MP-2 is a better preamp than MP-1 (recently reinforced by listening to Mike playing through it, direct comparison, and I played a couple of songs on guitar last night (until the neighbors knocked on the door  :facepalm: ).

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh....too easy mate...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm waiting for YOUR opinion about those Mullards inside a MP-1...  :banana:
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

The Penta 12AX7 tubes I have in my Classic are also known as Groove Tubes 12AX7-C, and Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC5 HG. THey are high gain tubes but not good for V1 position. I am having microphonic issues with a couple of the higher gain programs with these tubes. These are better off in the V2 slot.

I can see why you are having an issue with the TAD 7025 S in the V2 slot, that is a V1 graded tube. Try that tube in V1 with any one of the tubes I mentioned above in V2, and I think you'll find the tone you want. If you are looking for a more Metal type of tone, then you may want to use the Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG in V2. This is a re-branded JJ ECC83, and this has the highest gain of all 12AX7 tubes.

This is why I am going for the Ruby 12AX7AC7HG+, it's the exact same tube as the TAD 7025 S, and I'm thinking I need to put this in V1 on my 3TM. The current 12AX7AC7 HG's I have in V2 and V3 are not graded for V1, so they should be fine.

As for the GT Mullards....Groove Tubes is not the same company it was when Aspen Pittman owned the company. Since Fender bought the company from him, the quality  of tubes for any other amp other than Fender has not been a priority it seems. Sometimes, they get a good batch of tubes, and sometimes not so good. It's hit and miss with them these days. The GT Mullards I once had in my MP-1 was before the sale of the company. I may give them another go, but I think I;m going to be using the Mullards only in the V2 slots in all my preamps. I'll be using the graded tubes in my V1 slots and those will either be the 12AX7AC5 HG+, or the 12AX7AC& HG+, depending on the preamp.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Iperfungus

« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

The Penta 12AX7 tubes I have in my Classic are also known as Groove Tubes 12AX7-C, and Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC5 HG. THey are high gain tubes but not good for V1 position. I am having microphonic issues with a couple of the higher gain programs with these tubes. These are better off in the V2 slot.

Hay Harley,

You mean this tube:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Ruby-Tubes-12AX7AC5-HG-PLUS.html

Is this the same as this TAD tube?

http://www.banzaimusic.com/TAD-12AX7A-C-ECC83.html

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_TAD_Premium_Tubes_TAD_Pre_Amp_Tubes_SELECTED/12AX7A_C_ECC83_TAD_Premium_Selected_7025_12AX7WA_E83CC_391

I can see why you are having an issue with the TAD 7025 S in the V2 slot, that is a V1 graded tube. Try that tube in V1 with any one of the tubes I mentioned above in V2, and I think you'll find the tone you want. If you are looking for a more Metal type of tone, then you may want to use the Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG in V2. This is a re-branded JJ ECC83, and this has the highest gain of all 12AX7 tubes.

Yep.
I'm going to use my 7025s and 7025 TAD tubes for V1 only in my MP-1, from now on.  :lol:
I've to say I love the 7025 there, but I'll run more testing with the 7025s as well.

About the Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG, I'm going to buy a couple of them: this is the tube MJMP uses in his own MP-1s and I WANT to try it!
I will do tests with Ruby's JJs in V1 and V2 and then in V2 combined with TADs in V1.

This is why I am going for the Ruby 12AX7AC7HG+, it's the exact same tube as the TAD 7025 S, and I'm thinking I need to put this in V1 on my 3TM. The current 12AX7AC7 HG's I have in V2 and V3 are not graded for V1, so they should be fine.

Those TAD HG tubes are great ones!
But they're too expensive now.

Sadly Banzai have not the Ruby 12AX7AC7HG+ available...

As for the GT Mullards....Groove Tubes is not the same company it was when Aspen Pittman owned the company. Since Fender bought the company from him, the quality  of tubes for any other amp other than Fender has not been a priority it seems. Sometimes, they get a good batch of tubes, and sometimes not so good. It's hit and miss with them these days. The GT Mullards I once had in my MP-1 was before the sale of the company. I may give them another go, but I think I;m going to be using the Mullards only in the V2 slots in all my preamps. I'll be using the graded tubes in my V1 slots and those will either be the 12AX7AC5 HG+, or the 12AX7AC& HG+, depending on the preamp.

Harley 8)

Sadly I know.
Last tubes in my previous MP-1, as I wrote, were a couple of old GTs and those were great 7025 tubes!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

I'm not sure if the two tubes you asked about are quite the same. The 12AX7A C may be a slightly different tube from the ones I did mention.
   All of the Ruby Tubes with a 'plus' designation are the tubes graded for V1 position. The ones without the 'plus' are for V2.

The Ruby 12AX7AC5 High Grade tube is the Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen tube, but distributed by Magic Parts. These are a very consistently made tube, sweet sounding, and very warm. "High grade +" is one of the labels in the measuring system used by Magic Parts. It basically means the tube is best suited for the most sensitive first gain V1 spots.

Warm tones, sweet overdrive. Same as TAD 7025-S and Preferred Series 7025. The HG+ are graded for the V1 spot. The new 12AX7AC7 is the latest tube developed at the Shuguang factory for Ruby Tubes. It is the quietest of all Ruby 12AX7 type tubes, both in terms of microphonics and mechanical noise. What I find appealing about these is they have Mullard style plates in them.

Don't you just love re-labeling?

I hope this helps,

Harley 8)

« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

I almost forgot this one.
   The JJ ECC83S / 12AX7 is perhaps the most consistently high gain of all 12AX7's. Given the gain, it is generally very low noise and microphonics. The JJ ECC83 has darker sound characteristics and great for metal and hard rock. Also known as the Groove Tubes ECC83-S and Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG. Same grade as Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG.

Harley 8)

VoxG2

« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

I found some Holland Bugle Boys in mine, but I am going to try those in my VOX. I replaced those with NOS Beijing Red Letter 12AX7s from the 80s/90s and it friggin' lit up. The clean, the dirty...just awesome.

Iperfungus

« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

All of the Ruby Tubes with a 'plus' designation are the tubes graded for V1 position. The ones without the 'plus' are for V2.

This is a GREAT tip!
So I will buy one of these for V1:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Ruby-Tubes-12AX7ACZ-H.G.-PLUS.html

and one of these for V2:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Ruby-Tubes-12AX7ACZ-H.G.-TESLA-JJ.html

The Ruby 12AX7AC5 High Grade tube is the Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen tube, but distributed by Magic Parts. These are a very consistently made tube, sweet sounding, and very warm. "High grade +" is one of the labels in the measuring system used by Magic Parts. It basically means the tube is best suited for the most sensitive first gain V1 spots.

Warm tones, sweet overdrive. Same as TAD 7025-S and Preferred Series 7025. The HG+ are graded for the V1 spot. The new 12AX7AC7 is the latest tube developed at the Shuguang factory for Ruby Tubes. It is the quietest of all Ruby 12AX7 type tubes, both in terms of microphonics and mechanical noise. What I find appealing about these is they have Mullard style plates in them.

Don't you just love re-labeling?

I hope this helps,

Harley 8)

Then one of these for V1:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Ruby-Tubes-12AX7AC5-HG-PLUS.html

and one of these for V2:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/TAD-12AX7A-C-ECC83.html

You helped a lot, indeed!!!  :banana-rock:
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

NOS Beijing Red Letter 12AX7s from the 80s/90s and it friggin' lit up. The clean, the dirty...just awesome.

Original tubes in my MP-1.
Put a TAD 7025 in V1 and you'll hear awesome tones!
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

The first two tubes you indicated are going to be the ones with the highest gain, if that is what you are going for. Those seem to be the favorites among Hard Rock/Metal guitar players.

Harley 8)

Iperfungus

« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

The first two tubes you indicated are going to be the ones with the highest gain, if that is what you are going for. Those seem to be the favorites among Hard Rock/Metal guitar players.

Harley 8)

Yep!

I want to try the Ruby's JJ in my MP-1....but as you suggested I would buy the HG+ for V1 and the HG for V2.  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

VoxG2

« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

NOS Beijing Red Letter 12AX7s from the 80s/90s and it friggin' lit up. The clean, the dirty...just awesome.

Original tubes in my MP-1.
Put a TAD 7025 in V1 and you'll hear awesome tones!

Hmmmmm...I will check that out.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Well me and my buddy Jason just ordered several sets of new tubes to try out - TAD-12AX7A-C as per one of you guys on here, can't find the thread, but suggested the TADs as to the closest replica of the original Chinese tube out there...if I'm not mistaken  ;D

I also read on here somewhere that MJMP changes his tubes regularly, is that correct?
 I'm curious because many of you including MJMP and Richard have suggested that the gain drop I'm having in my Holy Grail still could be just a tube issue. I thought those tubes were new but come to find out that I found a receipt for them and I actually bought them clear back in April  :o
 So before I ship my unit to Mr. MJMP I'll try out several new tubes.
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, the last comment from MJMP (and I concur) is it may be power supply but then that was for all the 0s' you got on the display...  decent tubes should last many years and go off very slowly. Now it seems in 3TM they burn a bit brighter ? MJMP likes to keep reasonably (less than one month old IIRC) new Ruby JJs in his 3TM (a bit like having new strings  >:D ).  Hey, no New Sensor Mullard long plates in your several sets of tubes  :facepalm: , at least try one pair LoL.
Hey that's not to say you don't get a dud tube from time to time.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Well me and my buddy Jason just ordered several sets of new tubes to try out - TAD-12AX7A-C as per one of you guys on here, can't find the thread, but suggested the TADs as to the closest replica of the original Chinese tube out there...if I'm not mistaken  ;D

I also read on here somewhere that MJMP changes his tubes regularly, is that correct?
 I'm curious because many of you including MJMP and Richard have suggested that the gain drop I'm having in my Holy Grail still could be just a tube issue. I thought those tubes were new but come to find out that I found a receipt for them and I actually bought them clear back in April  :o
 So before I ship my unit to Mr. MJMP I'll try out several new tubes.

Hey Dan, it is possible to get a bogus tube right out of the box, it depends who you buy them from. I got a pair of Mullard RI's that only lasted for less than 3 months from Musician's Friend. No telling how long they were sitting around there before I got them. Now I buy from Doug's Tubes in New York. Much better quality, and they are still going strong after 2 years.

Harley 8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up