ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 More Gain  (Read 3205 times)

Dirty Fingers

MP-1 More Gain
« on: Time Format »

Yeah I know .....
Let me explain I took the MP-1 to rehearsal last night I have been avoiding using it as Im happy with my pedal set up

Anyway after some tweeking it was sounding pretty good
my presets were
clean , clean w/chorus, classic rock crunch, mid gain loud lead and the important one high gain lead.

All sounds were good but I need more gain and sustain for my high gain lead .(I dont want to use a boost pedal )

The sound smoothed out too much at volume and seemed to almost sound clean
I like a bit more grit on my lead tone

So my question is would the 3TM mod provide a better lead tone for my needs ie more grit and thicker liquid lead tone
Soldano-esque , not a bright sharp thin tone ?

rickeb1

Re: MP-1 More Gain
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

FWIW, my personal opinion is that there are tradeoffs with the 3TM.  I think the 3TM excels at high-gain lead tones.  It also has a very good, sparkly solid-state clean and a very nice built-in chorus.  Where I feel the 3TM falls down is all of the tones in-between.  I've found it impossible, for example, to get a good on-the-edge-of-breakup rhythm tone - all attempts end up sounding harsh and brittle.  The Clean Tube setting becomes next to useless, and it does not respond well at all to rolling down the volume knob of your guitar, if you like to use that approach for managing your tone.

My guess is that Richard would recommend the MP-2 instead :) as it has more gain available than the MP-1 and has more useable tones than the 3TM, and I'd say he would be correct.  Or, consider the 3TM if you have some other way of getting your in-between crunch tones.  Again, all just my opinion!

~ Rick

Dirty Fingers

Re: MP-1 More Gain
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks for that info Rick that is good to know
I will hold off on the 3TM untill I hear one in person

Im am interested in how the transformer MDRT will effect the MP-1
Can anyone say how much gain it ad the the signal ?

Cheers

Pages: [1]   Go Up