ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: dealing with GAS  (Read 106551 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: dealing with GAS
« Reply #270 on: Time Format »

Go Zilthy, that's quite a few bit of kit  :whoohoo!:   have lots of fun working it all in  ;)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #271 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, how is the amp and cab modeling on your Axe Fx? I ask because I am considering selling everything including my cabs and getting an Axe fx-II and 2 Fr112 headrush wedges. Simple, easy and with the wedges I dont need a power amp.
Also does it have the feel of a tube amp? I know my old Hd500 didn't, the gsp1101 is better but I dont think it's there yet.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #272 on: Time Format »

Soloist:  I had the Headrush FRFR112.  About a week before I sent it back.

Admittedly, I was using a Pod HD X with it (And the Axe FX is a *lot* better than that) but I was not impressed with the FRFR at all.  If I were to have stayed that route, I would have ended up looking for a different FRFR amp.  I've used that same setup through other FRFR and liked it a lot better.

However, instead of just getting a different FRFR, I went nuts and got a bunch of tube and rack gear and now selling all of my modeling gear, etc.

Soloist

« Reply #273 on: Time Format »

Filthy, thanks for the heads up. :thumb-up:
Damn I was hoping those would sound excellent. Now I need to do some more research for some good frfr cabs/wedges. I want some stereo separation but dont want to spend a ridiculous
amount. :dunno:

Then again better IR's might have a vast improvement on those headrush wedges.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #274 on: Time Format »

I dunno, a lot of people seem to like them.  More than don't.  I really wanted to like it, just didn't.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #275 on: Time Format »

Soloist:  I had the Headrush FRFR112.  About a week before I sent it back.

Admittedly, I was using a Pod HD X with it (And the Axe FX is a *lot* better than that) but I was not impressed with the FRFR at all.  If I were to have stayed that route, I would have ended up looking for a different FRFR amp.  I've used that same setup through other FRFR and liked it a lot better.

However, instead of just getting a different FRFR, I went nuts and got a bunch of tube and rack gear and now selling all of my modeling gear, etc.

I am far from being a Fractal Fanboy.....that being said, especially after the latest FW Update for the AxeFx II (which included the Axe III modelling), the Amp AND Cab modelling is stellar.... I play the Axe on its own either through headphones, Desktop Monitors (Yamaha HS8S) or through an old Rocktron Velocity 150 going into an old Boogie 2x12 Halfback (for the latter i simply use outputs 2 and apply an EQ to compensate for them being non FRFR; Check out Leon Todds video on using a real guitar cab with the AX8: https://youtu.be/QooyCU8x73g)
The best (subjective, to my ears) FRFR I've heard and played with the AFX are the Matrix ones (http://usa.matrixamplification.com/speakers.html?___SID=U)
The best bang for the buck FRFR for modellers are imho the Laney IRT-X which sound phenomenal at that pricepoint (https://www.laney.co.uk/products/ironheart-irt-x-active-cabinet)
With all of the above, I get a real awesome "amp in the room" sound and feel.

As I said above, I enjoy the AFX either on its own or in 4cm combination with any of my real (Pre)Amps. In terms of tone consistency and travel ergonomics (and the inner urge to tinker with a gazillion of parameters to tailor-shape my tones) I'm dead-on set on the AxeFX philosophy, either it being the AxeFX II, III or AX8.

I could sell all my Tube and Analog gear and I'd still be more than happy and satisfied with AFX on its own. But I still do love my Boogies, ADAs, Digitechs, Carvins and pedals and I'm fortunate enough that neither my job nor my CINC Homefleet (wife) make all of it mutually exclusive. I call all of my gear "practical art" and the family agrees.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #276 on: Time Format »

Those AxeFX II are *really* nice.  The Line 6 stuff pales in comparison, and I think it is largely due to the 'quality' of speaker modeling.   The POD HD unit I have sounds a *lot* better through the DT25 and Mesa 2x12 I have (by an order of magnitude) than it does through any FRFR system.  You can get decent tones from it for sure, but it's a lot more work.

If I were still gigging, I probably would have looked closer at going with the Axe FX II and an FRFR setup for portability.  I was playing with my setup in 3 or more different places each week at the time. That was the reason I moved fully to Line 6 at the time, pedalboard and wedge and done.  Well, that and living in a 250 square foot studio apartment.

I have to admit, that my latest rig build was largely due to "I want a 1/2 stack". I figured, I'm 50, I've been playing over 30 years, I am just going to have what I want. :D

I *did* make a concession though, it's a pretty small 1/2 stack being a 2x12 instead of 4x12, but it's got the same feel and vibe so I am really happy with it.

I did think about just getting pedals, but after looking around, I realized that for the price of just a couple pedals, I could score a couple of used rack units.  Which also solves another issue, I *really* hate running cords all over the place.  Just 1 midi cable from amp/rack over to my feet (midi phantom power over 7 pin).  Well, there is the guitar cable, but sometimes I go wireless too.

It's fairly portable, being a small head although the cab is pretty heavy being an oversized vertical 2x12.  But it looks *so* cute!!!!!

I think I would have been happy with the sound going the Axe FX route with a good FRFR, but it's not a 1/2 stack.  It would have been more versatile, a little more portable, but it wouldn't have been a 1/2 stack.

Did I mention I really wanted 1/2 stack?  :D

Soloist

« Reply #277 on: Time Format »

Lol, funny you should mention the 1/2 stack Zilthy. That's what I wanted for a long time as well, along with a rack setup. It's a far cry from my combo days. Now being 50 as well lugging 4 - 2x12 slant stacks a 21 ru rack plus a pedal board just isn't feasible. Now looking at the frfr and Axe fx 2 route. As you mentioned portability, simplicity and versatility are key. :headbanger:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #278 on: Time Format »

For sure.  At that 50 point as well.  Which is why I am making the concession to:  (1) 2x12. (1) Head (1) 4U rack.  None of them are overly obnoxious.  Well, the cab is, but it has wheels. :D

If I have stairs to deal with (especially carrying alone) then it's the Boss Katana.  :D. Which I love because it's small, portable, and sounds decent.  Which I hate, because it's not a 1/2 stack.  :D

Chamai

« Reply #279 on: Time Format »

GAS hit again.. dumped my g major and got a pcm 90

ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #280 on: Time Format »

Nice Chamai! 

I've only heard/used the lower end Lexicons, but they sure sound great!

During this last round of GAS, I took a different route.  I just bought a whole bunch of stuff at once, then started returning/selling the stuff I didn't keep.  Rocktron Xpression,  Rocktron Intellifex, ISP Decimator Rack Pro G, Lexicon MPX1, Lexicon MPX G2.

And would up sticking with what I already had, and Pod HD Pro X.   Which I might or might not someday upgrade to a Helix or Axe FX 2.  In reality though, it's all overkill for me.   90% of the time I only use a noise gate and delay.   I rarely use other effects.  If it weren't for the fact I use different delay settings between clean/crunch/lead sounds I probably could get away with a couple of pedals in the loop.  And it is nice to have a couple of other effects on tap.

The MPZ G2 would probably have one and stayed in the rack if it had a slightly different form factor, just not quite so deep.   Silly or not, with this rig build I wanted a small rack to go with my head, and sit either on or between and just look and be part of the stack.  So that limits rack depth to 12" eliminating the Lexicon.

The other requirement was 1 cable out to controller pedal.  Lexicon hit that being able to do MIDI phantom power, and it actually is above the Axe FX II and Helix (As well as the HD Pro X is) having a built in expression pedal.  I run wireless, and I don't really want to run a bunch of guitar cables, power cables, etc out to the controller board.

If my 2FX I have were MIDI capable, I would drop everything in a heartbeat, and just run that and a gate.

Hmmm..... rechargeable wireless MIDI controller.... now there's a thought!

At least keeping with my Pod HD Pro X keeps it down to a sane level, but it's still a quite a bit of gear over a couple weeks.

EVH Striped Series (First purchase and catalyst for everything)
Charvel San Dimas (I loved the feel of the EVH better than any guitar I own, even my hand made custom 'Zilth' and a review said the San Dimas felt very close, and they do.  Plus, a bit more versatile, a little less Eddie, and going with a white one, I can pay some tribute to Warren too!  Currently replacing the chrome hardware with black, then will design some graphics)
EVH 5150 III el34 50w head (Light, and 3 great channels.  Really considered going back to MP1, but that would have moved to a larg(er) rack setup which I wanted to avoid)
Mission Engineering Genesys H Rack (12"). (Same width and length as head, sits nicely on the stack and looks good.  Replaced the chrome hardware with black to match the head and cab.  Removed the two handles on the top sides and replaced with one in the middle going lenghtwise so it stacks nice also black hardware to match)
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto Vertical (Swapped out the V30s for Greenbacks).
Rivera Rock Crusher Recording (Just because!  Wow, I am *very* impressed with that attenuator, and it's cab sims for recording)

A fairly sizeable chunk to plunk down at once still, even though everything but the rack was either used or decently discounted display models, but I still have a bunch of gear and guitars to sell to defray some of the costs.

And I have exactly the rig I was looking for!

Chamai

« Reply #281 on: Time Format »

Nice Chamai! 

I've only heard/used the lower end Lexicons, but they sure sound great!

During this last round of GAS, I took a different route.  I just bought a whole bunch of stuff at once, then started returning/selling the stuff I didn't keep.  Rocktron Xpression,  Rocktron Intellifex, ISP Decimator Rack Pro G, Lexicon MPX1, Lexicon MPX G2.

And would up sticking with what I already had, and Pod HD Pro X.   Which I might or might not someday upgrade to a Helix or Axe FX 2.  In reality though, it's all overkill for me.   90% of the time I only use a noise gate and delay.   I rarely use other effects.  If it weren't for the fact I use different delay settings between clean/crunch/lead sounds I probably could get away with a couple of pedals in the loop.  And it is nice to have a couple of other effects on tap.

The MPZ G2 would probably have one and stayed in the rack if it had a slightly different form factor, just not quite so deep.   Silly or not, with this rig build I wanted a small rack to go with my head, and sit either on or between and just look and be part of the stack.  So that limits rack depth to 12" eliminating the Lexicon.

The other requirement was 1 cable out to controller pedal.  Lexicon hit that being able to do MIDI phantom power, and it actually is above the Axe FX II and Helix (As well as the HD Pro X is) having a built in expression pedal.  I run wireless, and I don't really want to run a bunch of guitar cables, power cables, etc out to the controller board.

If my 2FX I have were MIDI capable, I would drop everything in a heartbeat, and just run that and a gate.

Hmmm..... rechargeable wireless MIDI controller.... now there's a thought!

At least keeping with my Pod HD Pro X keeps it down to a sane level, but it's still a quite a bit of gear over a couple weeks.

EVH Striped Series (First purchase and catalyst for everything)
Charvel San Dimas (I loved the feel of the EVH better than any guitar I own, even my hand made custom 'Zilth' and a review said the San Dimas felt very close, and they do.  Plus, a bit more versatile, a little less Eddie, and going with a white one, I can pay some tribute to Warren too!  Currently replacing the chrome hardware with black, then will design some graphics)
EVH 5150 III el34 50w head (Light, and 3 great channels.  Really considered going back to MP1, but that would have moved to a larg(er) rack setup which I wanted to avoid)
Mission Engineering Genesys H Rack (12"). (Same width and length as head, sits nicely on the stack and looks good.  Replaced the chrome hardware with black to match the head and cab.  Removed the two handles on the top sides and replaced with one in the middle going lenghtwise so it stacks nice also black hardware to match)
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto Vertical (Swapped out the V30s for Greenbacks).
Rivera Rock Crusher Recording (Just because!  Wow, I am *very* impressed with that attenuator, and it's cab sims for recording)

A fairly sizeable chunk to plunk down at once still, even though everything but the rack was either used or decently discounted display models, but I still have a bunch of gear and guitars to sell to defray some of the costs.

And I have exactly the rig I was looking for!

thanks bro.
Lexicon is the way to go for reverbs. I prefer my pcm 90 over my pcm 81 for reverbs. I thought the 81 was amazing until i hooked up the 90. I use my 81 as a dedicated delay unit. I still need to get a ground control or something. I hate pressing buttons for patch change. But i have been focusing on just completing all my fx the past 3 years. I thought about picking up the axefx but i think using it for silent practising and minimal recording is a waste. I am not a versatile player that needs a crap ton of different sounds. Its  a great tool for recording and silent playing.
after i get my ground control, i will get bob bradshaw to make me one of those head switchers with midi and built- in load. I am going to add my JCM 800, Laney AOR, and pick up some fender head to complete my setup. BTW, these AOR's rock.  :headbanger: 

seems like we both have a large round of GAS recently. Can't imagine how much money you spent. Good to see a fellow rockcrusher user here. Mine is just the attenuator version, not as cool as yours haha.

just picked up one of these new Gibson J45 sustainables.

ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #282 on: Time Format »

Hey Zilthy

You say "If my 2FX I have were MIDI capable" what do you mean, just to get it to switch with midi? or do you want more?

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #283 on: Time Format »

Hey Zilthy

You say "If my 2FX I have were MIDI capable" what do you mean, just to get it to switch with midi? or do you want more?

Just switching would be all I need.  Obviously, being able to change delay time and level between rhythm and solos would be great, but also not very realistic.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #284 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: nice gear you guys are getting into  :thumb-up: , just looked up the J45 price, they are $4k ish AUD here, nice looking guitar, @ Chamai, how does it sound ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Up