ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Year of production?  (Read 13575 times)

martinmarkvoll

Year of production?
« on: Time Format »

Hi,

Is there any way to tell when my MP-1 is produced?
It says 1.38 when I turn it on, has the line/instrument switch on top of it and serial number 805284.

Martin

RobbHell

Re: Year of production?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Probably 88. Take the top off and in the right back corner where the transformer connects to the main board you'll  the date of productions and (Rev) and a letter for what board revision it is.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Yes 88 seems also correct to me.

martinmarkvoll

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks guys! You were right - 1988, rev D.

patsanger

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hi,

Is there any way to tell when my MP-1 is produced?
It says 1.38 when I turn it on, has the line/instrument switch on top of it and serial number 805284.

Martin

Hey Martin - I just got serial 805299.  Guess ours were probably made the same week :)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Just curious guys what year my Holy Grail was made?
 I have not as of yet seen another 2.00, just 1.38s and 2.01 seem to be the most common.
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I suspect MJMP will be able to tell you ? yours is a later unit than both of mine, 240v model is 803570 and US model is 811390.  Both of mine are top switch v1 (hardware) models. What EPROMS are in them isn't relevant really (to the longitude oops sorry, longevity problem (mmm we need to build a (very accurate) wooden clock (for those who get the oblique reference..LoL)).

Question, when ADA released the MP1 without top switch ie V2 hardware ?? (and did this also include dropping the rear jack line input to be inst level ?) and what EPROM version was in them (I'm guessing 2.0  :dunno: ).  The 2.01 EPROM was the last EPROM (firmware) update ADA issued.

But DjC, if I put a 1.38 EPROM in the last MP1 ADA made, it would work fine, would you call that a 1.38 version ? and really what would that mean ?  Since the goal here (as I understand it) is to get the latest (youngest MP1s) possible. However, it seems to me (based on experience (personal and though the depot) that it more depends on how the unit has been treated (used, looked after etc). And realising (as I'm sure you're across) that these units are getting on and some electronics wear out (after 25+ years pumping it out  >:D ).  Seems to me, getting a decent unit that has no major dilemmas and upgrading everything you can (and that's quite a few things) should (as SC said) give you another 15 years ish of reliable performance (regardless of the EPROM version (not saying don't put in the 2.01 EPROM but it doesn't directly version your MP1 (although "can" be indicative))).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I guess this would be a late 89 early 90's mp-1.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I suspect MJMP will be able to tell you ? yours is a later unit than both of mine, 240v model is 803570 and US model is 811390.  Both of mine are top switch v1 (hardware) models. What EPROMS are in them isn't relevant really (to the longitude oops sorry, longevity problem (mmm we need to build a (very accurate) wooden clock (for those who get the oblique reference..LoL)).

Question, when ADA released the MP1 without top switch ie V2 hardware ?? (and did this also include dropping the rear jack line input to be inst level ?) and what EPROM version was in them (I'm guessing 2.0  :dunno: ).  The 2.01 EPROM was the last EPROM (firmware) update ADA issued.

But DjC, if I put a 1.38 EPROM in the last MP1 ADA made, it would work fine, would you call that a 1.38 version ? and really what would that mean ?  Since the goal here (as I understand it) is to get the latest (youngest MP1s) possible. However, it seems to me (based on experience (personal and though the depot) that it more depends on how the unit has been treated (used, looked after etc). And realising (as I'm sure you're across) that these units are getting on and some electronics wear out (after 25+ years pumping it out  >:D ).  Seems to me, getting a decent unit that has no major dilemmas and upgrading everything you can (and that's quite a few things) should (as SC said) give you another 15 years ish of reliable performance (regardless of the EPROM version (not saying don't put in the 2.01 EPROM but it doesn't directly version your MP1 (although "can" be indicative))).

All very good points -thank you!
Another very interesting thing about my unit is that I never seen a dark blue chassis  :???: Everything about this unit is unique and especially the tone.
 Hopefully MJMP will be able to bring life back into that unit without having the tone change too much; however at this point I would settle for a unit that actually worked  :-\
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, on the whole, from listening to Mike's as he's done it up over time (and he can speak better to it than me), the only upgrade that really changed the tone (well dynamics really, tone was much the same) was the MDRT, the new tranny really opened up the dynamics of the unit (in a really good way IHMO).  Which is why I suggested just get the MDRT in just one for now to see if it works for you (I think it will and you'll like it allot, but...).  Both my MB-1s have MDRT, (not that I've heard one without MDRT), but I have to say (and I'm sure Peter B will agree) they sound "spectacular", and so quiet (just like a bought one).

I've never seen a dark blue chassis either  :dunno: , do tell, what's the deal there ?? (a special MP-1 for a special guy LoL, hey you deserve some good luck IMHO).

Have faith, MJMP will get them singing for you  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Have faith, MJMP will get them singing for you  :thumb-up:

I bet DJC will taste this in short times...  :thumb-up:  :headbanger:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Seems the first one is back in Vegas. :green-banana-smiley-emoticon:

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Seems the first one is back in Vegas. :green-banana-smiley-emoticon:

Daaaaaannyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :banana-dance:
On the run again!

VoxG2

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Why is 2.00 holy grail?

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Why is 2.00 holy grail?
That specific MP-1 (which happens to be a 2.00) is DJC`s holy grail