ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JCM 800  (Read 9518 times)

mqqse

JCM 800
« on: Time Format »

Anyone run their MP1 through this head/combo, or is that sac religious ?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: JCM 800
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I run my rig into 2 marshall heads but I bypassed the preamp.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey mqqse, run it anyway that works for you  >:D .  The original V1 hardware MP-1s have a top switch to change the A/B outputs from inst level to line level so you could plug into a head (or 2).  The A/DA APP-1 manual has some suggested eq settings for a few different (popular) amps to make them "flat". Another way to do it is, as MJMP does, and bypass the preamp/eq in the head and just use the poweramp stage, some amps have a poweramp in jack (which does the same, MJMP uses older Marshall heads and modifies them so one of the front inputs goes direct to the phase splitter tube > poweramp), I've had my 1973 Marshall 50w modded to do the same, though I haven't tried it yet (as I only have one Marshall so it will be mono).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Sacrilegious?   I'd hardly think so.  When the MP-1 came out, I'd venture a guess that it was probably run into a JCM 800 more than any other amp head at the time. 

Use it with whichever amp head you'd like; the preferred method is to put it into the amp at the power stage and bypassing the amp head's preamp section as previously stated.  Nothing wrong with going straight into the front Input as well, but be prepared for the extra noise, and matching proper levels going in and such.

mqqse

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

How do you run it like that (using power section only) in a single channel 800 with no effects loop?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Is the JCM800 a master volume or a 4 input non master ?

I did run it first straight into the input but like Kim already mentioned, it's quite noisy that way.But it does sound good. So give it try.

mqqse

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

MV

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Ok, well try to plug it into the low input that will keep the noise down.Also try to set the preamp vol as high as possible, there's a cap over the preamp pot, this will give more high's at lower preamp vol settings.

mqqse

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I'll give it a try and see how it sounds.  I didn't think you could avoid going through the front end.   Thanks!

Chamai

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

This is how I run my mp1. Instrument level to low input of my 84 jcm 800 vertical input. It sounds massive. Highly recommend running a eq in the front with mid boost and treble bass cut. Plus a bit of volume boost. Thinking of adding a Furman pq3 or 4 in the front for extra boost.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

This is how I run my mp1. Instrument level to low input of my 84 jcm 800 vertical input. It sounds massive. Highly recommend running a eq in the front with mid boost and treble bass cut. Plus a bit of volume boost. Thinking of adding a Furman pq3 or 4 in the front for extra boost.

The way I used to do it in 90's , a boss GE-7 into an mp-1 into a an ART multiverb alpha straight into my marshall heads.

Chamai

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

The way I used to do it in 90's , a boss GE-7 into an mp-1 into a an ART multiverb alpha straight into my marshall heads.
\

you sir, have good taste.

MP1 together with a jcm 800 in the same rig just puts a smile on my face. eq in the front is VERY important. having that reverse smiley setting gives the mp1 a bit of a push and tightens the bass. you can actually up the bass on the mp1 and it still won't sound flubby. the trick is to have bass cut before it hits the amp and up the after. even better is having a 2nd eq in the loop to up the 125 hz instead and scoop a bit of 800-1000k if it sounds to thin. depending on speaker, i find that a narrow cut around 6.3khz takes some unwanted sizzle when an eq is placed in the loop.

the magic comes from the jcm 800 power section.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I agree 100%  :thumb-up:

Now I don't use the mid boost anymore since I use the 3TM, but it's a must (for me anyway) with an original mp-1.

Chamai

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Now I don't use the mid boost anymore since I use the 3TM, but it's a must (for me anyway) with an original mp-1.

I'm dying to try a 3tm. I find that I use a lot less gain than I once did. Limited eq is prob the only weakness of the mp1
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

mqqse

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I'm dying to try a 3tm. I find that I use a lot less gain than I once did. Limited eq is prob the only weakness of the mp1

Okay, what's a 3TM?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up