ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 > fx processer > combo/head  (Read 8757 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
MP-1 > fx processer > combo/head
« on: Time Format »

Assuming the FX unit can use one Input and be Mono.  Of course, you could also have TWO guitar amps to make your rig Stereo.....

Luke Gibson

Re: MP-1 > fx processer > combo/head
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Kim, Excellent diagram, thank you for posting!!   

Can you go a little deeper with adding in a Stereo Line Mixer to run effects in parallel with the MP-1? I believe it's referred to as Wet/Dry.......  I’m adding a Mark L Dual Stereo Line Mixer and a Lexicon MPX-1 to my rig.  It’s really an upgrade, I’m going from an old Black Face Intellifex and ART SplitMix4 (Passive) to incorporating a powered mixer to be able to add more effects units down the road.

I have a pretty simple set up:

Firman PL8 Plus
ADA MP-1
Lexicon MPX-1
Mark L’s Dual Stereo Line Mixer
BBE Sonic Maximizer (In Loop)
VHT 2/50/2 Power Amp

Thanks again!!
Luke
« Last Edit: Time Format by Luke Gibson »

Luke Gibson

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Btw, I’m using both A & B outputs from the MP-1 to the SplitMix4 (not sure that’s absolutely necessary....)

I’m curious if I can use 1 output from the MP-1, split it in the Stereo Line Mixer and send one to the Power Amp and the other to the Lexicon MPX-1. It my make the MP-1 Chorus not work.....

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Luke, you'll get what you are chasing with the SplitMix, the Mark L’s Dual Stereo Line Mixer (is really not designed to do what you want) it will only give you 1 or 2 (sort of) stereo FX sends (using the duplicate Mix1 outs to Fx L/R and you then will need to connect short jacks from the other pair of Mix1 outs to mix 2 in to here the MP1 as you will have to return the Fx L/R outs to mix 2 (not Mix1 or it will feed back), and when you plug anything into mix 2 it breaks the internal connection from mix1 > mix2). Alternatively you can use the ExtIn (you must have MP1 in Mix1 - 1 input) to feed the Fx L/R and then you can return Fx outs to Mix1 - ch 2 or 3 or 4 as the ExtIn is a duplicate of the signal at Mix1 - ch 1 in only (so wont feedback)

If you want to go with a line mixer, the Alesis or similar will suit you better, 8 inputs, 1 x stereo Fx send

With the spilitmix you can add more Fx.  All the SM inputs and outputs are stereo jacks so make some stereo jack to 2 x mono jacks (or buy insert leads).  This is the way MikeB ran his rig for a while.  The main reason he went back to chaining through his GMaj2 (4 CM style) was to pick up the GMaj2s CC (ie master volume control).  You loose a little level with the SM coz it's passive but it's easily compensated for with the level controls on the MP1 and Fx unit.I posted a fair bit about this setup before (IIRC when you bought yours as well ?), my main goal was to keep the signal path from MP1/2 to power amp all analogue (as most more recent Fx units digitise the input).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Luke Gibson

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Luke, you'll get what you are chasing with the SplitMix, the Mark L’s Dual Stereo Line Mixer (is really not designed to do what you want) it will only give you 1 or 2 (sort of) stereo FX sends (using the duplicate Mix1 outs to Fx L/R and you then will need to connect short jacks from the other pair of Mix1 outs to mix 2 in to here the MP1 as you will have to return the Fx L/R outs to mix 2 (not Mix1 or it will feed back), and when you plug anything into mix 2 it breaks the internal connection from mix1 > mix2). Alternatively you can use the ExtIn (you must have MP1 in Mix1 - 1 input) to feed the Fx L/R and then you can return Fx outs to Mix1 - ch 2 or 3 or 4 as the ExtIn is a duplicate of the signal at Mix1 - ch 1 in only (so wont feedback)

If you want to go with a line mixer, the Alesis or similar will suit you better, 8 inputs, 1 x stereo Fx send

With the spilitmix you can add more Fx.  All the SM inputs and outputs are stereo jacks so make some stereo jack to 2 x mono jacks (or buy insert leads).  This is the way MikeB ran his rig for a while.  The main reason he went back to chaining through his GMaj2 (4 CM style) was to pick up the GMaj2s CC (ie master volume control).  You loose a little level with the SM coz it's passive but it's easily compensated for with the level controls on the MP1 and Fx unit.I posted a fair bit about this setup before (IIRC when you bought yours as well ?), my main goal was to keep the signal path from MP1/2 to power amp all analogue (as most more recent Fx units digitise the input).

Dammit! I already bought the Mark L's  :facepalm:

Thank you for the reply!!!  The Mark L's sounds really complicated.....  The SplitMix4 has worked fine I just assumed the Mark L's would be a better solution for running Wet/Dry...  :-\

Question: With that in mind what is the Mark L's really designed to do or be used for?   I will be selling it most likely now....

Thanks again for all of  your help!  :thumb-up:

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner.  I'm not familiar with the way a mixer would be added in.....

Luke Gibson

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner.  I'm not familiar with the way a mixer would be added in.....

No problem, thank you for your diagram!

Luke Gibson

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

How about the Alesis MultiMix 8? 

FEATURES:
Eight-channel stereo line mixer
Microphone/line input on channel one
Stereo effects bus which can be shared between two linked units
Channel expansion feature for expansion to 16 stereo input channels
Individual Pan and Effects Send controls on each channel
Signal clip and overload LEDs on each input channel
Stereo five-stage LED ladder for output level indication
Stereo monitor out
Mono input source compatibility for stereo output
1RU 19-inch standard equipment rack size

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

That was the one I had in mind (there are a couple of other similar 1 RU line mixers also), it's perfect except it only has 1 stereo send, and why I haven't bought one  :facepalm: . But you could use the MP1 headphone out as another stereo send (albeit it has the top end reduced (similar to a cab sim) as headphones are full range.  Or you can take a mono out from the MP1 loop send (this is pre chorus just after the tube/gain and Eq stage, and always active (the MP1 return turns the loop on/off via the individual patch Loop in/out status).You could also use a pair of Y leads to duplicate the Alesis sends for an additional Fx

But you can run 2 parallel stereo sends/returns with the split mix, you'd need to make (or buy) 6 stereo jack to 2 x mono jack (insert) leads.Mp1 > Splitter Input, Splitter output 1 and 3 to the 2 x stereo Fx L/R inputs, Stereo Fx L/R out puts > Mixer inputs 2 & 4, Mixer output > poweramp > 2 x cabsRemember all the split mix jack sockets are stereo.  So this will make a full stereo, all analogue direct MP1 path to cabs with 2 stereo Fx mixed in in parallel.

Luke Gibson

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

That was the one I had in mind (there are a couple of other similar 1 RU line mixers also), it's perfect except it only has 1 stereo send, and why I haven't bought one  :facepalm: . But you could use the MP1 headphone out as another stereo send (albeit it has the top end reduced (similar to a cab sim) as headphones are full range.  Or you can take a mono out from the MP1 loop send (this is pre chorus just after the tube/gain and Eq stage, and always active (the MP1 return turns the loop on/off via the individual patch Loop in/out status).You could also use a pair of Y leads to duplicate the Alesis sends for an additional Fx

But you can run 2 parallel stereo sends/returns with the split mix, you'd need to make (or buy) 6 stereo jack to 2 x mono jack (insert) leads.Mp1 > Splitter Input, Splitter output 1 and 3 to the 2 x stereo Fx L/R inputs, Stereo Fx L/R out puts > Mixer inputs 2 & 4, Mixer output > poweramp > 2 x cabsRemember all the split mix jack sockets are stereo.  So this will make a full stereo, all analogue direct MP1 path to cabs with 2 stereo Fx mixed in in parallel.

Much thanks Sir!   :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

No Worries my Friend  :wave: , happy to help, I spent a good afternoon/evening and a few wines working out the split mix, it's a very useful gadget. Then MikeB bought one so we got to do it.  The only thing that I didn't like was if yo say take spltter1 to Fx and return the Fx into Mixer 1 it doesn't work  :dunno: , thus you are limited to 2 stereo sends and returns and they have to be off set (ie split 1 > Fx > Mixer 2, and split 3 > other Fx > Mixer 4)And you need to crank up the MP1 output knob as it's passive and the 2 Fx splits "drink" a bit of signal.

Luke Gibson

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

No Worries my Friend  :wave: , happy to help, I spent a good afternoon/evening and a few wines working out the split mix, it's a very useful gadget. Then MikeB bought one so we got to do it.  The only thing that I didn't like was if yo say take spltter1 to Fx and return the Fx into Mixer 1 it doesn't work  :dunno: , thus you are limited to 2 stereo sends and returns and they have to be off set (ie split 1 > Fx > Mixer 2, and split 3 > other Fx > Mixer 4)And you need to crank up the MP1 output knob as it's passive and the 2 Fx splits "drink" a bit of signal.

Mine seems to work fine, being passive it’s a little strange.

Question: I'm using both output's A & B from my MP-1 to a Y-Cord (stereo) to the MiniMix4, can I just use 1 output instead?  Will it still be stereo from the Intellifex?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Sort of, the split to the intellifex will then be mono and you'll loose the MP1 chorus (well half of it), the intellifex will output stereo (if you use both its outs) but why  :dunno: , also going mono into the split mix means you only have one channel of dry sound to the poweramp, best to run the whole thing stereo.

Luke Gibson

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Sort of, the split to the intellifex will then be mono and you'll loose the MP1 chorus (well half of it), the intellifex will output stereo (if you use both its outs) but why  :dunno: , also going mono into the split mix means you only have one channel of dry sound to the poweramp, best to run the whole thing stereo.

Why? Mostly out of curiosity.....  I do have 2 dry volume controls on the spiltMix4 but they don’t control the stereo spectrum Right and Left, they both just control overall dry volume.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Well it's not like it won't work, try it and see/hear if you like it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up