ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: We want ADA to make re-issues (MP1, MP2, MB1, B200s etc)  (Read 31224 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Harley, MJMP, rather demeaning toward house plants LoL

Hey PS91, similar idea to one I've been mulling over the years, so when you select a patch, the knob leds show current settings, and you can tweak the knob, and my thought was it would remember that tweak for that patch until you save it before power off, so when you changed patches during the show you wouldn't loose the tweak from any altered patch until power down, but then decide to save the changes or not.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

These are the type of personalities I don't bother to debate with because they have the intellect of a house plant. So when someone pooh-poohs on your rack rig, just smile and know you are an above average intelligent guitar player. That's what I do. When they sell their amp and go buy a different one because they want a fresh sound, and they keep repeating that cycle while I still have my same rack gear and just tweak it until I get what I'm looking for, then that in itself speaks volumes.

Harley 8)

I find these sorts of people also, and like the big H has said, I realise then not to bother trying to have a conversation with them.  They also have a bad habit of making me feel like I spend to much time thinking about equipment and set up than playing.  And while it's true you can get lost in your setup and rig so long as you know to come back and do your homework you are ok.

My main analogy for gear is this:

My gear is my tool for creating sounds, from guitar to Speaker and all in between.  Think of this like the painter who mixes his paint just right so he\she can paint the pictures the way they want and express themselves exactly as they want.

When I was setting my gear up on Saturday night before a show, a member of one of the support bands who I was getting along with fine standing watching me.  He saw the amount of cables I had and watched me carefully run them from piece to piece.  He said "Jeeeez could you not have just got something simpler that you could just plug right into?".  He was jokingly making a point and not meaning any real harm but I knew exactly what school of thought he was from, which is fine.  However that's why when I turned it all up he was suddenly impressed as it sounded great in stereo!  And probably not like any other amp he had heard within his local musical experiences.  Perhaps then he saw method to my madness.  One thing is for sure, whether he thought it was good or not, he'd nevr adopt the same setup himself as he would probably admit to the fact he'd be too lazy to do so.  And there you have it!  There are those guys and then us guys and some who straddle both!
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

In regards to the Fractal and the Kemper units, I see one as a modeler and the other is a profiler. Neither one is an actual preamp. There doesn't seem to be any unique tonal characteristics to either of these units. So, that puts the question in my mind: "If I wanted to create a great amp tone for my guitar with one of these, would it deliver?"

I have my doubts. The best I could do is take something that is modeled after another existing amp, and manipulate it to try and come up with something really cool. I can start from nothing with any of my ADA's and just build an amp tone from a blank patch into something that makes the guitar sing! I've done that with all of my stock ADA preamps.

That's the difference between a real preamp, and the new shizzle!

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

And many just don't understand how things work, nor do they want to, but some do want to understand, and sometimes they are afraid to ask. :dunno:

A guy on another forum didn't understand even about a head and cabs, the thread was all about tubes vs SS for bass gear (a pretty heady discussion as I'm sure you can imagine), someone posted a pic of their Fender Bassman rig (head/cab), but the guy sheepishly asked the question, well hopefully he understood my answer/explanation, but as I replied to him, no question's ridiculous or stupid if you don't know the answer.  The thread in question also had lots of references to class D amps (the latest fashion in bass power amps, and elsewhere no doubt).  One of the other posters thought Class D was just switching power supplies, and was a bit surprised when I pointed out that Class D isn't analogue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier).  Nifty, powerful, light, etc, some even say sound good but they are a version of digital (and all that noise has to be filtered out, and allegedly they need crap loads of negative feedback).

I've managed to get my live rig down to 1 8RU rack, 2 speaker cables, 1 guitar cable, 1 7pin midi lead (MXC) and 2 cabs (or sometimes 1 stereo cab).  That said, I'd go back to a gazillion leads etc tomorrow if I needed to to get the sound I want.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

My amp and two amps before that were class D.

I read this article and I did not see the part where it say's class D amps are digital amps?  Or even related to digital amps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

So I decided to look for more evidence that Class D is digital.

Now I do not know what most of this means but it clearly states in part of this article
http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/what-class-d-amplification

"You now understand how a Class-D amplifier works, and if anyone tries to pull the wool over your eyes and convince you that the 'D' stands for 'digital', you can tell them how wrong they are, with confidence. Class D is not digital."

I'm going to side with this article and say my amp is not a digital amp.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Well depends what you mean by digital (my main point was it isn't analogue), if you think of digital as just ones and zeros (or ones and nones), no it's not.  However, it's a sampling technology (they use various methods):
Quote from Wikipedia "The analog signal to be amplified is converted to a series of pulses by pulse width modulation, pulse density modulation or other method before being applied to the amplifier. After amplification (R - of the pulses), the output pulse train can be converted back to an analog signal by passing through a passive low pass filter consisting of inductors and capacitors."  Pulse Code Modulation (PCM, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation) is one way to do A/D conversion (stored as ones and zeros).  Class D amps do the same thing conceptually.  They are not analogue except for a bit of their input (prior to conversion) and a bit of their output (converting back after amplifying the pulses).
I didn't say they didn't sound ok (and sorry if I gave that impression at all), but they are not analogue amps, and don't work the same way.  They work the same way (conceptually) as what we call digital.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

PWM and PCM is not the same thing, PCM is digital with a sequential data stream while PWM has a fixed amplitude but the duty cycle changes.PWM is also used in servo drive's and AC motor controls,also in LED dimmers.As for the switching power supply mythe, well some DC converters also use PWM so ...
Now the real advantage of class D is the efficiency which is around 90%,so the amps are smaller and can provide more power. Compare that to a class A (25%) and class AB (50-65%).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Yes but they do the same thing conceptually (albeit very differently), convert analogue to something else (~sample it), process it as something else (very efficiently in the case of class D), and then convert it back again.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Back on the topic of Rack Gear popularity (or lack thereof): Next time you're in the music mega mart (Guitar Center, etc.), ask the kid working there about their rack mount power amps. Notice the blank stare, as if you're speaking in tongues  :o

We had a gig yesterday, opening for a Skynrd tribute band, and they were gushing about my tone. Keep in mind, they were using some vintage combo amps (ol' JCM800 2x12, Ampeg bass amp) for 'that tone' they needed. Each guitarist had their signature tone, but just one. Maybe two, if the had another dirt box on the floor.

True, I really only use 2 cleans and 2 dirty patches, but they are on the pedal board in 2-3 different variations based on which FX are on. And, I still have a couple buttons reserved for SOLO boost. I'll take the rack gear

BTW: I have very few wires to hook up, just a 2 cable snake that goes from my pedal board to the rack. Two cables; guitar cable and midi cable. My wireless transmitter is on the pedal board, so that eliminates one wire right there. Two speaker wires later, Ta DA!!! All set up.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

I have a lot of long cables lol  I suppose if I was able to move to a slightly bigger rack I could do away with my FX unit on the floor and the long cables.  It's not feasible  for foreign travel to have a bigger rack at the minute.  I doubt I could get on with a 4U as hand luggage.

Yip of course a kid is gonna look at you with three heads if you mention "rack" to them.  Either that or say something about being stuck in the 80's.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Depends on the store I spose, both the stores I frequent hear have rack amps but in the PA section, not that there's allot of choice though. The store are related (by cross ownership) and distribute Carvin in Australia (and MESA/Boogie). Hence I now have 3 carvin amps, all for very good prices (TS100 (tube 2 x 50w), DCM200L (2 x 100w), DCM2004L (4 x 500w (Class D)).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

There is nothing rack related in any music stores where I live.  One shop rents PA stuff and live sound gear, that's probably as close to rackgear as you'll get in my town.

I don't shop in these music shops for a reason you know.  I buy everything on line, everything!  Picks, strings, cables, guitars, amps, cabs, speakers!!  Music shops suck over here.  They pander to the masses or their limited stock selection determines what you can or cannot buy, so this doesn't suit me hence buying everything online.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I do a bit of both, if I want it now, I try the store, depends what it is.  Also shipping to Australia is just outrageous.  If I can by from an Australian store online, that tends to work out ok (eg bought 6 Mullard long plates a week or so ago from a mob in Melbourne, too easy, and I can't get them locally, the shops are Boogie dealers, so that's all I can buy (tube wise) locally).  Also since I've been shopping with these dudes for over 30 years I tend to get reasonable discounts, though depends on the margins, the AUD, and the planets LoL.

vansinn

I think there's constantly a good amount of rack gear in use; it just not present in the street stores (who simply refuse to see the light), but rather gets discussed and bought/traded online and directly from ditto shops..

Chamai

most stores i go to know nothing about racks. i ask for power amps, they don't know wtf i am talking about.

i them questions about re-amping and running effects in stereo. they have no clue wtf i was talking about

ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up