ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 61264 times)

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #105 on: Time Format »

You can check out how he's got it set up in this video, sorry I don't know how to embed YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IumKMyLDGns
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

Chamai

« Reply #106 on: Time Format »

sounds like a boosted ada.

isn't a rat more of a distortion pedal than an overdrive?
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #107 on: Time Format »

isn't a rat more of a distortion pedal than an overdrive?

As far as I know, yeah.  I was never a fan of distortion/od pedals and have rarely had the need to use them unless I was playing through someone else's rig.  I think I played one through an old Plexi once? :dunno:
I came of age in an era where high gain heads (Engl, Mesa, 5150) were commonplace, so I thought it kind of redundant to have any pedals on top of that.  I play with another guitar player, so my stock MP1 usually gives me what I need.  I can see why Lynch would want to use the Rat to boost since he likes a little more "hair" in his sound.  When I saw him last year he was playing a borrowed JMP with a distortion pedal.  It was...bright.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:

herbyguitar

« Reply #108 on: Time Format »

Most O.D. pedals have a tone control that just doesn't work for me. Tone 100% and the bass and mids suffer. Tone 70% and the high end suffers. Now it needs an equalizer to rebalance. I have yet to find one that doesn't mess with the tone.
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

Rawk777

« Reply #109 on: Time Format »

I tryed to boost the ADA with a boss DS-1 and it sounded like crap.

The rat can work as a booster, overdrive, distortion and fuzz. That's an awesome pedal :). Also, the filter control do not work like standard dist and od pedal... When you turn it clockwise, treble gets rolled off.

Chamai

« Reply #110 on: Time Format »

just tried boosting with my rack tube driver to ada mp1.

sounds pretty awesome.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #111 on: Time Format »

Chamal, dumb question; did you place the Tube Driver before, or after your MP1?  I got an ART SGE Mach II coming in the mail and I was going to mess around with its analogue distortion, but I wasn't sure where to put it in the chain since it's primarily going to be used for pitch shifting and MAYBE a boost.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

Chamai

« Reply #112 on: Time Format »

goes before the mp1.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #113 on: Time Format »

Just bringng this one up again as I bit the bullet and bought a little treble boost.  It sounds pretty good I have to say.  It can be noisey with a power supply and too high a setting, but it actually sounds pretty good.  I wouldn't describe it a having a wha pedal stuck in one spot.  The pedal I bought is supposedly based on the Dallas Rangemaster which Judas Priest and many others are famous for using.  I couldn't honestly say if it sounds like it or not since I have never owned or used an original Rangemaster.  But just for the record, it seem to work real well boosting an MP1 into a lot heavier distortion, livens it up a bit also.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #114 on: Time Format »

Might post a little sample of the tone later on since it's the first MP1 stuff I've done in a long time.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Rusty

« Reply #115 on: Time Format »

Yes Gerry,

That would be interesting to hear.

Me, I have always wished that I could get more bass lower end out from my MP-1 (3TM) without having to use a graphic EQ or anything like that.

I have done the mods as per MJMP has said and also added in the 'Bass Warp' trimmer pot as described in the 3.666 schematic mod in the 'schematics vault' section here on the forum.

I have also changed out U17 and installed an LME49740NA to see if that would improve things, but nah.  It would be nice though to get more bottom end.

Yes please do post a sound clip Gerry, I would like to hear that please.

« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #116 on: Time Format »

Have you tried the bass trimpot on the 3TM itself?

Rusty

« Reply #117 on: Time Format »

Have you tried the bass trimpot on the 3TM itself?

Yes MJMP, I have it maxed and also the Bass Warp, Just trying to get a little more bass.

I was thinking, would changing the Bass Warp pot up to about 20K or higher, or else keeping it at 10K and changing cap C82 up to around 330nF make much of a difference on that section of the tone stack to get more lower end bass boost?

It looks ok on pencil to paper for the lower cut frequency, 160Hz is a little high for me.

I think possibly trying to get it down to about 60-ish Hz for better dropped D guitar sound might work out by changing one of those components.

what do you reckon ?

Sorry for hijacking and de-railing this thread folks, maybe I should start a new thread over in schematics and modifications.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #118 on: Time Format »

That's weird, low end on all my MP1's is not an issue.  In fact it has way more than it needs.  The MP1 I am currently using with the boost is my MP1 MDRT/Noise mod version.  Aint used the 3TM in a while and it has enough low end and I've never touched a thing on it other than the tubes.

What is your setup Rusty?  Into a power amp into a cab?

Rusty

« Reply #119 on: Time Format »

Hello RG,

Yea im using good enough gear, I think,

A Marshall valve state 8008 power amp, 80W-80W,
Then a Peavey stereo 2X12 with Jensen Modern 70W speakers.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up