ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone help, inparticular MODS?  (Read 4547 times)

NorthShaun

Anyone help, inparticular MODS?
« on: Time Format »

Hi guys,

Just bought some new tubes for my 3TM ADA MP1, a high gain cryo set of JJ's, but this was the description:

"This 3 valve set of specially selected high gain Cryo treated ECC83-S JJ/Tesla covers all amplifiers models and pre amplifiers that have a 3 valve pre amp section with a balanced valve for the phase inverter position."

My question is, does the 3TM balanced valve, and if so, which position is it?

THanks

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Anyone help, inparticular MODS?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey NorthShaun, MJMP will no doubt be able to answer you're question re phase inverter, but, unless there is something to distinguish one tube from another (and I suspect there isn't) put them in crank it up and enjoy, sounds like a "nice" tube option for MP1 (&3TM). BTW whats the cryo treated all about ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

NorthShaun

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi Rnolan (again!)

Yeah, was hoping MJMP would happen along soon, as he modded the MP1 @ 2 years ago!

Ordered a set of 3 cryo hi gain JJs from Watford Valves over here in the UK (http://www.watfordvalves.com/).  They claim to cryo some of their tubes, this is what their website claims:

Watford Valves has cryogenically treated some of the more popular and best sounding JJ electronic formally known as Tesla valves. This process makes a permanent change and the benefits do not deteriorate over time or upon return to operating temperature, it changes the whole way the vacuum tube performs. The biggest benefits I have found have been a dramatic improvement in dynamic range. Bass response has been clearer with reduction in microphonics. The soundstage is bigger with more detail with a big reduction in the noise floor. The really most starling fact has been how the valve operates under saturated and overdriven conditions in guitar amplifiers. The distortion is smoother with less hardness and is musically pleasing to the ear.

Something to do with realigning the crystaline structure of the allow at molecular levels which aids conduction. Might be pie in the sky, but you've got to try it right?! :)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

The 3TM works best with all 3 tubes balanced.The kit you have is actually for a standard amp like a JCM800.Now what you could do is using the balanced one in the V1 position (near the front).

NorthShaun

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Good stuff!

Thanx MJMP

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Something to do with realigning the crystaline structure of the allow at molecular levels which aids conduction. Might be pie in the sky, but you've got to try it right?! :)
Absolutely, as long as it works in with the circuit.  I don't think it's pie in the sky, makes sense to me, let us know how it sounds  :whoohoo!:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up