ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does a "History of A/DA" exist?  (Read 3938 times)

PrimalScream91

Does a "History of A/DA" exist?
« on: Time Format »

I study history, so this kind of thing is interesting to me.  :crazy:

If you look on the A/DA site they have a “History” page but it doesn’t necessarily go that much into detail after Seamoon and the initial birth of A/DA. It looks to be an article that they copied for their website to serve as a brief history, so that might account for it being so brief.

So what I’m asking is, does a “History of A/DA” exist anywhere? Something that walks through the years and production of one of our favorite brands? If not, I think it would be a great thing to compile. That way we know the evolution of the company from the start to it’s retreat (why’d A/DA fade into relative obscurity) and eventual rebirth.

It could be quite helpful for newer members (such as myself) who want to know things like production years of products (I don’t know when they stopped making the MP-1, for example). The “Trendz” publications would be a great source for this, not to mention the collective knowledge of the older members here would be incredibly valuable.
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Does a "History of A/DA" exist?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

There is a lot of speculation about the origins of A/DA, because they were dabbling in effects early on.
   Dave Tarnowski, started making a few effects in the 70's that seemed to catch on more in the studios than with live performers, so it's kind of hard to really pinpoint an exact company start up. I know in the mid 70's the Final Phase pedal appeared, followed by the Flanger pedal, but then Dave started making dedicated studio processors for almost a decade before the MP-1 hit the market in 1987. After that ADA phased out their effect processors, and the company was dedicated to amplification systems.
   IF I'm not mistaken, the original MP-1 was discontinued in late 1992, to make way for the MP-1 Classic which was introduced at the 1993 NAMM show. (The MP-2 wasn't doing that well, since it was too cerebral for the average guitar player).

I'm sure many other members here can pitch in with what they know.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Griphook

• Less is more? More is more!
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

ADAs History is a point, in which I am interested too. I seem to love things, that are older than me ( I also only drive motorcycles, that are from the 70s or earlier, up to '34)

How does it come, that ADA was so far ahead of the time?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

ADAs History is a point, in which I am interested too. I seem to love things, that are older than me ( I also only drive motorcycles, that are from the 70s or earlier, up to '34)

That's what happens when you have a small group of exceptional techs who don't limit their imagination. We have that same thing here in the Forum with some of our members ;)

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I was in my mid twenties when the MP1 came out.  A bunch of things had happened in both music gear and technology around that time which helped make the MP1 possible. eg midi and digital switching.  At the time, the ADA guys solved a bunch of (I wish) issues for guitarists.  Master volume controls and channel switching wasn't that common on amps. And as Harley says they used their imagination and came up with a doosy  >:D .  I tried one once and then bought one, it solved all my live issues and sounded great.  When I was doing guitar repairs for the store, I became the MP1 salesman...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I think they dared to go were others didn't dare too go. If you listen to the final phase pedal, that's a sick sounding phase pedal and I never heard something similar like this phaser. Same with the flanger pedal, these are all special sounding.
Also the 19" rack effect they put out in the early 80's are REALLY good, I love them all. They even managed to give an analog feel to their digital effects. And then they came out with all these preamps which caused a revolution back then.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I think they dared to go were others didn't dare too go. If you listen to the final phase pedal, that's a sick sounding phase pedal and I never heard something similar like this phaser. Same with the flanger pedal, these are all special sounding.
Also the 19" rack effect they put out in the early 80's are REALLY good, I love them all. They even managed to give an analog feel to their digital effects. And then they came out with all these preamps which caused a revolution back then.

The Final Phase is still a unique pedal. It's the only one to have a great sounding overdrive combined with a phase pedal. (Possibly the 1st dual effect stomp box ever made)? Today, there are a lot of pedals with two effects to choose from, but that one sounds so natural in any guitar amp. That's another item on my must have list. It could possibly take the place of my Flanger on the floor!

Harley 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up