ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Did I Tell You Guys I Joined a ZZ Top tribute band?  (Read 19464 times)

El Chiguete

I actually like the looks of the guitar too!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Wow Harley, what an axe  :thumb-up: , I suspect it plays quite nicely also  >:D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

That's pretty dang cool, I'll tell ya what

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"

Hey Harley, this is a 90's  Kevin Costner's signature "Dance with wolves" guitar... really rare ! :lol:
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Gang,

OK, here's the story on that guitar.
   In 1989, I met a kid who had that guitar and he never really learned how to play, and he saw my setup at the time, and offered to sell me the guitar, even though I didn't need it. I gave him $25 for it.
   Originally, it was just your basic white Strat copy. All the original hardware was on it, but the pickups were trashed. The neck and middle pickups were still in the guitar, but not working. The bridge pickup, was replaced with a DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker, but it was a home made installation. Both the body and the pick guard looked like it had been cut out with a chisel to fit the humbucker in there. The pickup wasn't even mounted with the adjustment screws, it was just suspended with the jagged points of the pick guard holding the pickup in place against the coil windings  :crazy:

I bought a Floyd Rose and some new DiMarzio pickups for it, ( Pro 151 PAF, and two DP- FS1's ), a couple of CTS Pots, and a new 5-way switch. Then I took it to a local Luthier who got the neck ready while I went to work on the body. I had him route the body for the FR first, then I took it home and filed the cutaways with a wood rasp to get the rough shape. I then sanded them down smooth and got a sheet of black fun fur from Pat Catan's, and glued that on where I wanted it. ( I also cut the monkey-grip handle in the body usind a small hole saw and hand cranked drill). Then I took it back to the Luthier, and had him paint the cutaways white with black tips. He did that and assembled the whole thing, gave it a complete line up and balance, and I bought a Lochness Green hard shell case for it. We had a good laugh over that guitar when it was done.

It plays very fast and has a decent tone. The tuning machines are the original chrome Schallers that were on my 1980 STRAT, and the pick guard, was the original from my 1983 57' RI, Schaller Strap Locks completed the package. I've used that for a lot of gigs, but never for recording. I was never really satisfied with the tone for other than live gigs. Maybe I might try some new pickups in the future for it, but I haven't picked it up and played it in years. I liked the way it looked with the pink pickup covers, and I still have the pink covers for the single coils in a box somewhere.

So there you have it. When I first completed the guitar, I used to refer to it as the "Beast." Then, I learned that d*ck Dale named his Strat by that name, so I had to change it to Sonofabeast.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Great story, great name for the axe!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Reminds me of when I installed a humbucker in my Jap Anson strat, I didn't have a chisel so I used a screwdriver and a hammer to make the cavity large enough  :facepalm:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Hey Harley,how did you come up with the name Sonofabeast?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Harley,how did you come up with the name Sonofabeast?

Hey MJMP,
   I called it the Beast for a few years, and it seemed to fit, with the fur and horns. It looks kind of beastly, don't you think? Anyway, after learning that d*ck Dale had named his guitar the Beast, I just figured since mine came later, and can sound every bit as aggressive, then it had to be "Son-Of-A-Beast."
  If you say if fast, it comes out Sonofabeast!

(It's a lot more printable than "Son of a bitch!")

Harley 8)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Ah yes i see now  :lol:

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"

Hey harley,

Do you have an amp matching the guitar ?
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Tomy.

Why would I need a furry amp when I have Ozite covered ADA Split-Stacks?
  (Unless I covered everything in red shag fur, then I could get a gig with Murph and the Magic Tones at the Ramada Inn)

Harley  :banana-guitar:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Why would I need a furry amp when I have Ozite covered ADA Split-Stacks?
  (Unless I covered everything in red shag fur, then I could get a gig with Murph and the Magic Tones at the Ramada Inn)

Harley  :banana-guitar:

I'll be here all week....Try the veal!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew someone was going to catch that one and follow through :thumb-up:

Harley 8)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

One gig in the books, another one on the calendar. We had our first gig yesterday to a packed house of partiers. It's 4th of July weekend here in the U.S., a celebration of our independence from jolly ol' England, and an excuse for a 3 day party. The venue is next to the river, people can arrive via the docks on the water or the highway outside the front door.

It is a very popular spot for bikers and other forms of quality society like musicians. Many musicians relish these gigs because the venue is almost always packed on weekends, there are only so many weekends in a summer so they're rare gigs, there's a huge main stage and a smaller back stage. They have the back stage band playing while they switch bands on the main stage so the music never stops. They are known for their fish tacos, but I think the  :beer: may have something to do with it too. Of course, because it's always packed....we get paid well.  :banana-upsidedown:

Here's a pic of me in the beard, I'm the one on the right, with the Minions goggles on my hat  :o 

O0 :poop:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up